• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Side effects...?

ceejay

Hi all. Newbie here.:sign0144:
Can anyone tell me the common side effects of the sleeve....:confused:
Not done a lot of research on this procedure, as I did a lot on the bypass, and ended up turning it down at the last minute (regretted it since):(

Common side affects for me was pain when eating, could only drink hot drinks as cold hurt. Their is a great thread on hear the best and worst bits of the gastric sleeve, hope someone will be able to bump or put a link on hear for you. Just I can't as I'm on me phone :) Congrats on ur op x

My side effect was allergic to all the medications & caused a stricture. Had to be drip feed & hydrated for a week in hospital 3 weeks after op & had a stretch. No real pain or hardship & have lost nearly 7 stones in 4 months. Love my sleeve.

Thanks ladies. I've just read 'the best and worst bits' and found it interesting to see how many of you have the same complaints. Thanks again. x

Can anyone tell me the common side effects of the sleeve....:confused:

1. Acid reflux / heartburn

2. Dumping / rapid gastric emptying

===========================

1. In order to combat (1) above sleeve patients will need to take proton pump inhibitors (Lansoprazole or Omeprazole) for at least 6 months post surgery, but possibly for life.

The side effect of long term use of proton pump inhibitors is that they in turn block the body's own natural ability to absorb Vitamin B12.

This is a catch-22 situation, because if we are opting for the sleeve to avoid the malabsorption that the bypass creates (and needing Vit B12 injections), the side effects of reflux and taking PPI's then mean that we malabsorb Vit B12 anyway, just like bypassers. (Many sleevers now take oral dispersable B12 top ups, and a few go for the full injection).

2. Some sleevers dump. Some bypassers dump. Some sleevers don't dump. Some bypassers don't dump -- there is no exclusivity on this particular side effect.

I am a sleever who does dump / experience rapid gastric emptying.

I had a problem with cold drinks at first as it was painful then about 4 weeks post surgery I started to crave ice I have even bought myself a ice machine, so things do settle down .

Back