• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Size of Portions

Majella

I am 4 days post op I am allowed porridge and soup today. After having both my stomach feels really heavy and sore. How do you know how much to have x

Last edited:
I am 4 days pre op I am allowed porridge and soup today. After having both my stomach feels really heavy and sore. How do you know how much to have x

Hi
Are you Post Op? If so, at 4 days the quantities would be very small and probably only amount to a couple of tablespoons. You should stop eating as soon as you feel full and before it gets to an uncomfortable stage but please check with your team so that you are complying to their wishes.
What op did you have and on the whole how are you feeling.?

Hi Suzanne, I had the band last Thursday so 4 days post op. I do not really feel like eating anything but think I should so I didn't think I overdid it with what I had, but just didn't expect the gripey stomach pain. Apart from the wind and shoulder pain not too bad. x

Liked not for the discomfort you are in but for the fact you are doing well and up to trying various foods only 4 days out. Well done. Sounds like slow and small amoun take is slowly and gently to start with I think is the order of the day.

Hi Suzanne, I had the band last Thursday so 4 days post op. I do not really feel like eating anything but think I should so I didn't think I overdid it with what I had, but just didn't expect the gripey stomach pain. Apart from the wind and shoulder pain not too bad. x

You cant go wrong sticking to what you have been told to do and following guidelines. Definitely you must eat, even if you dont feel hungry as you want to be healthy too. I remember the shoulder pain and that was my biggest issue :cry:

Hiya can i as a silly question, why do you get shoulder pain?

Hi Hun...hope the tummy is feeling abit better. I'm still pre op but i'm constantly thinking about amounts of food post op as it's my turn in 4 weeks time.
It sounds like you are doing great, as others have said i'm going to stop when it feels alittle uncomfortable. This will serve as a guide the next time you eat x.

Bex, I was told it is because they fill your abdomen up with air during the op and some of it gets trapped. It is really sore and worse than mine stomach stitches. Hope it goes soon as I am back to work on Wed x

Hiya can i as a silly question, why do you get shoulder pain?

My surgeon explained that there is a nerve that extends from the diaphragm to the shoulder and with the air and movement of the op, it often causes pain.

Oh hope your feeling better by then hun, how long have you taken off work x

Can i suggest you stop eating before your stomach feels sore and uncomfortable... Seriously this is your tum saying it's over filled... Just make a couple of tablespoons and if an hour or so after eating that you still feel hungry and it's not thirst then have another spoon.... This wls is a bit like learning to drive, we do all the research have all the lessons but the real learning starts after passing your test/surgery xxx

Becky I had op last Thurs and back to work tomorrow, so not that long off. I have woken this morning still feeling really full up and a heavy stomach so I think I will just do liquids today. The good news is I have lost 5 llbs since the op and a stone since my pre op - Hurrah starting to feel it has been worth it already :)

Back