• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Getting banded this week...

Bella'sBand

Hi everyone,

I am a newbie and I am currently on my pre op diet, protien, fruit, veg, clear soup and water. Has anyone else been on this pre op diet? If so how did you get on with it? And can they test to see if your liver has shrunk before opertating or do they only know if it has shrunk once surgery starts?
I am a bit worried about gas after the op, if you do get it is there a general time period till it passes? Two days, 4 days?
Thank you :eek:
Bella'sband.

Hiya and Welcome to the forum. I've not had the band but lots have so I'm sure people will be along to answer your questions soon. I can tell you from my experience that my bad wind pain lasted a couple of days and then I had it mild for a few days after that. The best way to get rid of it is to get up as soon as you can and walk around. It soon shifts then, also I found peppermint tea help sooth it a lot. So get some in at home in preparation. I drank that every day for the first week and it helped settle things. As for the pre op diet, I've never heard of a test to see if your liver has shrunk before surgery but as long as you stick to the diet 100% it's very likely to have worked. Most people worry though, it's natural.

I wish you all the best with your op and recovery, it will be over before you know it :) x

Aw Thanks Shelly, that is good to know. I will be getting the peppermint tea in thats for sure! You have done so well, congratulations! This is a great site, I am so glad I found it before my surgery, everyone is so friendly and supportive. I suppose that is because we are all in the same boat and know how each other are feeling.

Thanks,
Bella'sband.

Hi
Good luck for this week xxx
I had a band fitted on 24th May and it has been fine for me. I got really bad wind pain which lasted for about a week but if you move around it gets easier and does ease. Also peppermint tea really helped me too so would recommend getting some of that before you go in.

You are welcome and thanks too. Yes this place is invaluable. I found it right before my surgery too and so glad I did. Wouldn't be without it. You'll find people here at every stage so you will always have something in common with someone or someone who knows exactly how you are feeling :) x

Thanks PoshLady, its so nice to hear others who have gone through the same thing. Can I ask if you don't mind do you feel ''normal'' yet? I mean as in your old self or do you feel like you have a band? Are you still aware of it?
I know any surgery takes some time to get over, but I was wonderful if you felt the same as you did physically pre op yet?
Sorry to bend your ear ;) but if you don't ask you don't know right? Lol thanks.

Hi I had my band two weeks ago today and I'm pretty much back to normal. Was back at work after a week. Still getting used to my band but happy so far!

That's fine ask away!
I feel 110% back to normal (better than before pre-opp) and am doing everything that I was pre-opp (well most things, husband is looking forwards to the 6 week check up!!)
I don't know I have it most of the time - if i eat to much I know it, I get a pain under my ribs but walking round a bit helps to ease it. it takes time to get used to not eating as much and is really weird to start with, it just felt strange to me but you get used to it. I would say make sure you follow your providers post-opp diet plan.
When do you have you new best friend put in?

So many banders coming out the woodwork lol....great!!! :)

I done the same diet as you , I'm almost 10 weeks post op and feel fab , worst part about op is the wind pain but TBH it's not a pain u can't handle and I'm the biggest chicken going lol good luck any questions feel free to ask there are lots of nice ppl on here xxxxx

Thanks Coppernob1971,

Its nice to know people who have already gone through it are doing well ;)

Thanks Poshlady,

It is so lovely to hear that you feel your old self again. I do not mind going through the op or the post op pain or gas as I know it will pass but I was a little anxious that I would not feel like I did before. You have put my mind at ease. All of you have. What a great forum, its nice to know you can ask questions and chat. I know I can call the people I am going with and ask questions but it feels more comfortable asking peers who are in the same boat. And that everyone can be 100% honest.
I am having my "friend" fitted on Saturday so I am counting down the days.
Thanks so much for your reply, I am sure I will be bending your ear a lot more ;) in the future.

Thanks,
Bella'sband.

Hi Snack,

That is really nice of you, I really appreciate you sharing your experience and the offer of bending your ear too. Those where my two major worries feeling different than I did before. I mean being aware that you have a band and a port. I just want to recover then get on with life as normal (as I am sure everyone does ;)) but as I do not know anyone personally who has had the gastric band I really had no one to reasure me.
Its nice to know also that you feel the gas pain is tolerable, I know everyones pain threshold is different and I have a quite high tolerance for pain so that is a weight off my shoulders to know. I say that now but I bet I will be eating my words post op :D. Thank you so much for sharing.

Bella'sband

Hi and welcome

I didnt do that pre op diet, there is no test to see if your liver has shrunk. BUT it has been known for people to be opened up, there liver has not shrunk - so no op.

Have a nose through the threads in the banders section for some hints, tips etc and good luck xx

Thanks Mazza, REALLY? :eek: OMGoodness I am worried now. I have lost 12lbs so far and am sticking to the diet but finding it hard to get 3-4 litres of water a day. Do you think that is going to effect how much my liver shrinks?
I just though I have lost weight so naturally the liver would shrink but I am really worried now. After all the dieting, money, hotels, driving and stress I could wake up not banded? I am worried now :confused: and a tad confused.

Yes really! it has happened :eek: but if you have stuck to the diet don't worry. I didnt lose an ounce on my pre op diet but my liver was shrunk, so all good!

12 lbs is a fantastic loss, any loss makes the op easier for you and the surgeon.

Keeping hydrated is important, 3-4 litres sounds a lot though :confused:

Thanks Mazza, But that is mad don't you think? Yes 12lbs is good but still I am not sure that = liver shrinkage. Yeah 3/4 is a lot and I am managing about 2 1/2. I am just so shocked that people wake up not banded, after all they have been through. I am sure you are right and I am worrying for nothing, but still it is an element I had not even considered and no one had mentioned in my consultations not even my consultant.
Although I am allowed fruit I have not been eating much perhaps one piece every 2 days even thought my diet says I can have 3 small portions daily. So in view of everything the last 4 days of my diet I am going to make sure they are carb free just to be on the safe side, and up my water to at least 3 litres.
Thanks for the info though :eek: its always best to be informed about these things.

Thanks,
Bella'sband.

The surgeon has to move the liver to perform the op (whichever op you have). If its too large it could get damaged. Thats why we have to do the pre op diet.

Unfortunately not everyone sticks to the diet even if it is just for a week.

Have a read of this from the BOSPA website it might explain it better but dont worry it sounds like you have been doing everything by the book xx

Pre-op liver reduction plan

Just because you are awaiting a surgical treatment for your morbid obesity, this is not an excuse to sit back and gorge out on as much food as you can! Any weight you can lose through dieting before your surgery is an advantage - it will make the surgery easier and will reduce the risks associated with it.
Some surgeons mandate a very restricted diet - one that is low in fat, sugar and carbohydrates - for one week prior to surgery and even if your surgeon doesn't ask you to follow this diet, doing so will increase your chances of your operation being completed laparoscopically because it will shrink your liver down in size. By following a strict diet, your body reduces its glycogen stores (glycogen is a form of sugar stored in the liver and muscles for energy). With each ounce of glycogen, the body stores 3–4 ounces of water, so when you follow a very strict diet, especially one that is low in starch and sugar, your body loses its glycogen stores and some water. The liver shrinks as it has less glycogen and water in it. This diet is only recommended for one week before surgery and is not to be followed post–operatively. It is quite possible you lose a lot of weight that week, but it will be mainly be water loss. Please ensure you continue to drink throughout the day.

Don't worry, if you have stuck to the pre-opp diet i am sure it will be fine xx just try and drink as much as you can.
Saturday so not long now! Good luck xx Where are you having it done?
I know what you man about being nice to be able to ask all sorts of questions on here and know that you will get honest answers - its lovely.

Hi Mazza,

Thanks for the information. I am sure I have no need to worry but still a scary prospect not getting banded after all that. Still I have to be 100% positive and focus on all the good work I have done so far and be confident of being on the banders bench on Saturday :)

Thank you,
Bella'band.

Last edited:
Back