• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

sleave or bypass?

cld86

Hi everyone, I attended my very 1st apt last week and both sleave and bypass was discussed ( more bypass really) and I have since been wondering what is best for me! I have looked at research online but I think success stories and your reasons for choosing any of these operations would help me with my decision. Ive heard the sleave is less risky ext.. ext... but like I say... I just dont really know... any help would be appreciated. . Thankyou x

Hi, I too was unsure but after doing lots of research and talking to my provider I decided on a bypass, I'm 12 weeks post op yesterday, and with the 2 weeks pre-op I am 4st 8lbs down :)

Hi, I too was unsure but after doing lots of research and talking to my provider I decided on a bypass, I'm 12 weeks post op yesterday, and with the 2 weeks pre-op I am 4st 8lbs down :)

Thankyou for your reply x

I have been torn between the two, however for me I would like children and the Sleeve seems the better option, due to absorbtion of vitamins and minerals, etc.

Just keep reading and choose the one you are most comfortable with. xx :)

Thats 1 of the reasons I think il prefer the sleeve, for the nutrient absorption. I have 4 children so its not only to maintain a healthy pregnancy but just to maintain a healthy life style. When reading about bypass surgery I have come across alot of people saying they feel ill ext... and thats 1 of the things thats putting me off. I always seem to feel hungry all of the time which the sleeve is said to reduce hunger by by removing that part of the stomach that produces the hunger hormone. I think im being swayed towards the sleeve, however, they say that because my bmi is over 50 im best with a bypass. ...

Hi I wanted a sleeve but ended up with a bypass on recommendation from the consultant due to heartburn and acid reflux. I truely love my bypass and it's been the best thing ever. They are different and suit different people therefore it's often best for the clinicians to make the right choice based on your eating habits and conditions. Both are permanent and big operations and both seem very sucessful. Good luck.

Hi , I'm a sleever and really glad I had it! I have no vitamin deficiencies, but I am meticulous with my supplements. I chose the bypass, but woke up with a sleeve and am now glad it happened that way. I would say take the sublingual B12 though, as our new stomachs don't absorb it well. Everything else is absorbed fine though. I feel better than I have for years xx

I was also offered both, but i choose the bypass it was a simple one really. I have type 2 diabetes high blood pressure so the bypass is the much better option for me :)

I am sure you will decide, excuse the pun but go with your gut :confused:

I was also offered both, but i choose the bypass it was a simple one really. I have type 2 diabetes high blood pressure so the bypass is the much better option for me :)

I am sure you will decide, excuse the pun but go with your gut :confused:

Thankyou rob.74 I dont have any health issues ( just a family history) and obviously problems caused from being big aches, pains, depression! My gut is saying sleeve, but like I said hearing your reasons is helping. Hearing real life stories is so much better than reading articles ext.. thankyou

I chose a sleeve for similar reasons to Helen and based on feeling like it works with how I ate too. I have 3 kids, I wanted to be eating normally as soon as possible and quite honestly they don't seem to have noticed so that's good. I eat family meals, just very small portions. My meals were always healthy, so that didn't need to change, just the portion sizes and my ridiculous snacking habits. If however your meals were unhealthy it may be a bypass suits better as you'd be more likely to dump on junk to force change of habits.

I do have reflux but with medication it's not an issue. I suspect coffee makes it worse but honestly I like coffee too much to give it up.

I always seem to feel hungry all of the time which the sleeve is said to reduce hunger by by removing that part of the stomach that produces the hunger hormone.

This is also true for the bypass...
I chose a bypass as I wanted the 'gold standard' procedure, the one that had been around the longest and all the little kinks had already been ironed out.
I had wasted 15 years of my life trying every diet around and not getting anywhere and was fed up of watching my life from the side lines so did not want to waste any more time and opted for what I felt was going to give me the highest chance of success.

Its a hard decision but trust your surgeon to advice you x

you have to do the research and go with what you feel is right for you personally as we all react differently to the procedures where say i might be great on a bypass the next person might have a nightmare time with it so its hard to say to someone i would go with just do what you feel is right for you and see what the surgeon suggests after all they know more about the ops than anyone

Back