• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleeve or bypass?

jodie 79

I've recently been to my 1st hospital appointment at the UCLH, I went in thinking the sleeve is for me but my consultant thinks bypass....he's left the decision to me but now I'm confused.....any input would be greatly appreciated :0)

I think it was because of my sweet tooth, I suppose his method of thinking was if I had the bypass the dumping would put me off sweet things and he also said I'd get better weight loss results, but the malabsorption etc puts me off, what are the down sides to the sleeve?

I'm not sure tbh! I'm a bander as far as I'm aware sleeve is a pretty good option! I'm sure some sleeve peeps will pop along to help soon x

I've recently been to my 1st hospital appointment at the UCLH, I went in thinking the sleeve is for me but my consultant thinks bypass....he's left the decision to me but now I'm confused.....any input would be greatly appreciated :0)

The surgeons usually have a reason for their suggestions. I would say go with what your consultant says.

Also, I think I have read that the bypass is better for people with a higher starting BMI, certainly BMI's above 50.

Sleeve is good for 50 lbs - 100 lbs weight loss (BMI 35 - 45) -- sort of "moderately" obese (ha ha !!!) ...... and bypass is better for the higher 40s and 50s BMI's.

Even if your BMI is now 46 (according to your sidebar stats) I think surgeons base this on your starting point and highest weight.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know that...all I have done over the past few days is try to get as much info on bypass's as possible, nothing's going in though lol Now the time is getting closer I'm scared that I'm not gonna cope after the op....being 20 stone and 5" 5 (23 stone at my highest) I need to for my kids sake. I'm sure it's just the jitters though coz everything's happening so quickly now, acorrding to my paperwork I received at the UCLH the other day I should have op done within 3-8 months. Aaaarrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!!!

hi Jodie well I faced the exact same thing to be honest hardest decicion of my life the consultant said bypass would be better for me due to reflux but I had a choice of bypass or sleeve so I did a lot of research on internet and felt sleeve would better suit me other are only tools unless you cheat and eat ice cream everyday on sleeve then you wont lose weight unlike the bypass but I def didn't want dumping syndrome you will make yr mind up both you eat very little so should have great results on either good luck with making your choice I no it can be a stressfull time x

Thank you wenny, you are so right, this is all I have thought about for days I'm doing my own head in now lol
I defo don't eat anything like I use to and am quite active now with swimming and walking.
I have read about dumping syndrome and that's what puts me off and also possibly lacking nutrients etc.
I think poor google has had enough of me for a few days all my browsing history consists of is sleeves and bypass's lol, I'll get back to it after the weekend as like you say it's stressful, this is for life and can't afford to make the wrong choice!!! :0) x

I went for the bypass as I also suffered badly with acid reflux and was told the bypass would be better. But more importantly, I knew as an ex-bander, I could not control my sweet tooth, and although I ate the healthy food, I also ate the slider, high calorie food because it slipped through, ice-cream, chocolate, custard etc. Now I've had the bypass I know my body will "tell me off" if I eat the wrong foods, too high in sugar or fat, and this is an excellent control mechanism that I lacked. I'm not worried about malabsorption because there are always supplements you can take. For me, the bypass is by far the best option but we're all individual and you need to go with your gut instinct.

Sent from my iPad using WLSurgery

personally i would go with what the surgeons suggest after all its their job and they do many each day but it is at the end of the day down to what you feel most comfortable with

I have the same decision to make but my BMI is 35. I had my first consultation today and the surgeon has given me choice of sleeve or bypass. I had wanted a sleeve but he says I should not dismiss the bypass out of hand and consider it too. So, that's put a cat amongst the pigeons.
I understand that I'm likely to lose more weight with a bypass but I'm a bit unhappy about perhaps having to cut things right out of my diet - I had been working on the understanding that I could eat what I liked as long as the volume was small (and that would be easy because I wouldn't feel hungry with no ghrelin being produced in my stomach).
I want my life afterwards to be straightforward - the whole point for me is to stop being obsessed with food - not to swap one way of obsessing about it for another. If the bypass means I have to avoid certain things altogether and have to manage the timing and volume of everything I drink then I don't think it's for me. But perhaps it's not like that and I've misunderstood. Advice please?

In terms of post op diet sleeve and bypass are almost identical actually. The biggest difference between the two is the malabsorption. Also, anecdotally its easier to stretch a sleeve. The bypass will drop more weight off a person, but, depending on how hard you're willing to work either can be successful. You will have to watch drinking and eating for all three ops. Forever, really. And you will have to be aware of what you're eating with all three ops to keep the weight off. Also, some people do get dumping with the sleeve. Ultimately you've got to listen to your surgeon but make the choice you're happy with.

But don't con yourself - whatever op you have you will have to work hard.

the bypass is the most invasive and is a life sty;e change you have to be careful with sugar intake etc or you can dump but saying that not everyone has that problem i would suggest research and if you do want the sleeve still just say to them thats what you want after all it is you that has to live with the decision and not the surgeon

I actually wanted , and was recommended to have a bypass. I ended up with a sleeve due to unexpected issues with my bowel. I have to say, the sleeve has worked well for me, my starting BMI was 51, and now it is 34. I'm glad I don't have the malabsorption issues, but I suspect the weight loss would have been a little quicker with the bypass. Whichever procedure you have though, it requires hard work and willpower to suceed, particularly after the first 6 months. My weight loss is quite slow now but I choose to eat 1200-1500 cals a day as I feel this is healthier for me and the weight is still going down. I can eat bigger portions, but still much less than pre op, the key is to stop when you first feel fullness and not to take those extra few mouthfuls. I'm hoping this will stop my sleeve from stretching. I don't dump often and can eat most foods. Hope this helps x

I chose the sleeve over bypass because of malabsorption and I didn't want them messing with my intestines.

I am so pleased with my decision - I have lost 6 stone so far in 5 months and still going strong :0)

Whichever one you choose it isn't easy - it's still you who decides what you put in your mouth, but Make sure you fully discuss your options with your surgeon.

Hey Jodie I'm a fellow UCLH patient! Mr jenkinson actually let me decide which option I wanted and I went in with a lot of info and pretty sure I wanted the sleeve and he agreed! He's great though so of course have to say listen to him. I went for the sleev as I have 3 kids and felt it was a better option with less interference and no problems with iron etc. Mine was 1 year 4 months ago I'm at goal and thrilled! The uclh were amazing you are in good hands!!

I had the sleeve as I wanted a permanent answer. Think you get a quicker weight loss with a by-pass, but hey, we all get there in the end, keep doing your research and you will just lean towards one method which will be right for you.

Hey Jodie I'm a fellow UCLH patient! Mr jenkinson actually let me decide which option I wanted and I went in with a lot of info and pretty sure I wanted the sleeve and he agreed! He's great though so of course have to say listen to him. I went for the sleev as I have 3 kids and felt it was a better option with less interference and no problems with iron etc. Mine was 1 year 4 months ago I'm at goal and thrilled! The uclh were amazing you are in good hands!!

Thanks Hun
I also have 3 kids and am thinking the sleeve is the better choice for me, I'm just waiting on my letter to say I've been put on the waiting list then pre op then op day.... What after care did u receive? Mr Jenkinson seems great, just wished it was a bit closer to home

Ah yes I'm in London so this was nearby for me. The aftercare was good I was only in hospital for 2 nights and once discharged had follow ups quite often and only now that it's been a year I'm only seen once yearly

I don't know if this is the same for the sleeve but the bypass stops the production of the hunger hormone grehlins. Having had a bypass, this is really true. Only problem is head hunger but it makes a huge difference not actually physically feeling hungry. The sleeve wasn't an option for me as I suffered with acid reflux and heartburn as a result of a gastric band mis functioning which had to be removed. I am delighted with the bypass and I'm only 8 weeks and had a very dodgy start! Good luck with your decision!

Back