• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleep apnea

Ive not hun think like most things depends on your hospital.

I am at Darlington but there does not seem to be many peeps on here from Darlington hospital? Most people in my area go to Sunderland Royal

At my hospital it depends on how you answer the sleep questions. I didn't have one

Yeah you usually answer a series of questions and depending on your answers it puts you you somewhere on the Epworth scale ( something like that) this then determines whether you need further investigation or not . Hope that this helps

Chrissy 100 is at Darlington

Yeah thats right Goofy I did the survey thing and I had to go for tests and I had it had always suspected it i used to snore n wake myself up badly through the night got to the point where i stopped going to bed on anight just slept downstairs cos no one could sleep for my snoring. Got a machine had it 6 months then had op nutha 6 months lost over 5 stone had nutha test and was fine machine went back xx

What I sleep apnea?!? Not to sound silly but iv never heard of it does that mean I don't have it? X

Sleep apnoea is when the muscles in your throat relax and block your airway. the first stage of this is snoring as the airway narrows, eventually it closes and you stop breathing then the oxygen level in your blood drops your twigs on and wakes you up to make you breath. This can happen alot depending on the person. Personally when they measured mine I was having 44 apnoeas an hour. The biggest indicator is excessive daytime sleepiness. They usually treat it with a cpap machine. best described as an air splint that keeps your airway open. The condition has links to been overweight as the thicker the neck the easier it is to close the airway. If you are worried about it then tell your GP and they can get you tested. :)

It's can also be caused by layers of fat around your neck pressing on your trachea and occluding your airway.

ohhh i forgot about the questionaire dohhhhhhh i must not need one not been mentioned since lol

I have had it. I ended up having the machine but I find it really really difficutl to use as it is very restrictive. Hope this goes away if / when I get my op.

Hi Pollybree

I am at Darlington. I had the test and had a machine here for a few months. But I was actually taking it off in my sleep, so it has gone back now.

They may give you a machine to use for one night and it records how many times during your sleep you stop breathing. If they think you need help, they will give you another machine that doesn't record, but works in the same way and you have to wear the mask every night. Takes a bit of getting used to. But like I said, I was actually taking the mask off in my sleep, so a waste of time for me.

Have you got an appointment to go to the Apnea clinic at Darlington Memorial?

Chrissy xx

Hi Chrissy thanks for getting in touch, I have just filled my forms in for my 1st semiar, I dont go till 26th feb but I do occasionaly suffer from sleep anponea it is more snoring to be honest. I was wanting to get the band but now I think I will try and get a bypass after reading alot of negative comments on here. What have your waiting times been like?

Back