• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

sleep apnoea (cant spell it)

You need to get assessed for it by the hospital, not your bariatric team. If i were you and you know you have most the symptoms i'd go to your gp and tell him you think you could have it and he can do a simple quiz (can't remember the name of it) and then he'll refer you to a consultant. If i was you i wouldn't delay with it as you need to have it under control before surgery. And before you think about trying to get away with it at your pre op it really will complicate surgery/anaesthetic if you do not have it under control at the time of surgery.....

see if your hospital has a sleep clinic, you can be referred through your gp, its not that bad, i have sleep apnoea, for the last 2 years, and im on CPAP machine when i sleep, the only hassle is that you have to inform DVLA if you drive, but there ok about it as long as your having treatment and settled.

stew

Its a bit late to be trying to get tested prior to surgery, this should have been picked up when you were 1st seen by consultant as it can take a couple of months for consultant to rquest that GP refer to the chest consultant who has to see you then they have to request the study.
On initial assessment did they not ask about daytime sleepiness etc its called Epworth sleepiness scale and determines if you are high risk of apnoea and if you might need CPAP machine.
Here is a link you can look at
Epworth Sleepiness Scale

Good luck.

Last edited:
I had all the symptoms and scored over 15 on the test so was told to get checked out. It took me from initial referral with my GP on 24th January (saw the consultant on 8th & test taken on 16th March) to getting results back in June - which were negative thankfully.

Thank you all for your help and advice , doc seems to think im ok , so i wont take it further.
Denise , thank you for your responce , i have not been questioned about sleepiness , in fact , no one has ever mentioned , or questioned my sleep /sleep patterns etc . scary huh ? ...thank goodness for you guys ... thank you for all of your advice and sharing your experiences ... i have learnt more on this site , than anywhere else. THANK YOU ALL XXXX

My gp didn't think I had it,I had no symptoms apart from snoring and been diagnosed with it few weeks ago.Can't describe how shocked and upset I was, but got over it now and getting my cpap machine on the 20 June.

Back