• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleep apnoea machines timescale post-op

SAM55

Before I ring the sleep clinic about problems I am having (and risk having to do a long journey if they want to see me, plus another sleep test), I wanted to hear what other people's experiences were with their machines post-op?

I am four months post-op and i have had my machine for 14 months. It was one of the best interventions I have had, as I was exhausted, and hadn't been able to work out why other than I thought it was connected to having had M.E. I was also experiencing serious cognitive problems and I was 60 they sent me for a brain scan and a dementia assessment 18 months ago. Both came back clear fortunately, and as soon as I got my machine I stopped waking up 25 times a night, which was what the sleep test showed, and it all disappeared.

I have a nose pillow which I got on with straight away and have had no difficulties with adjusting to it. Just before surgery having lost a couple of stone I started to notice it was slipping and air was escaping, so I rang the sleep clinic, where they thought I might not need it anymore due to weight loss, so I explained I was still waiting for surgery. They issued me with a new strap (a purple one) which was smaller than the blue one first issued and this solved the problem.

I haven't been sleeping well since Christmas, with lots of waking and trips to the loo and put it down to stress as there is a lot going on in my head at the moment, but noticed at the weekend my nose pillow didn't feel as comfortable. I tried one night without it, in case I had reached a a weight where my airway was now clear, but it was worse. :(

Two different friends today have commented on my nose being smaller!

Has anyway else had a similar problem?

How long have people kept their machines post-op?

What weights have people got to roughly when they found they no longer needed one?

Thanks

I can't really help too much I am afraid, but when I was reviewed at the sleep clinic about 3 months post op they took the machine off me and I have been fine. However I have hypersomnia (for more than 20 years) My sleep test had only shown mild apnoea and didn't really help much at all. You might be able to ask for an appointment with the technicians to see if another mask might fit you better. There are different types of mask, from the nasal pillows to full face mask, so you might suit a different one better if your face shape has changed.

Rang hospital and left a message and they have called me back. It is possible my nostrils have got bigger (!) so they are posting out two different nose pillows for me to try. One the same size as the one i have which is small, and the other a size bigger. Apparently they try to start you on the smallest possible so your nostrils don't get too big! Pictures of Daniella Westbrook's nostrils and crack cocaine are coming to mind!:eek:

If that doesn't work then I will have to go in for the machine to be checked, but neither of us think at this stage that that is the problem as the numbers are the same and air is coming out, just not with enough pressure in my mouth. :( Could certainly do with a good night's sleep:mad:

Rang hospital and left a message and they have called me back. It is possible my nostrils have got bigger (!) so they are posting out two different nose pillows for me to try. One the same size as the one i have which is small, and the other a size bigger. Apparently they try to start you on the smallest possible so your nostrils don't get too big! Pictures of Daniella Westbrook's nostrils and crack cocaine are coming to mind!:eek:

If that doesn't work then I will have to go in for the machine to be checked, but neither of us think at this stage that that is the problem as the numbers are the same and air is coming out, just not with enough pressure in my mouth. :( Could certainly do with a good night's sleep:mad:

Hope they sort things out for you quickly. :)

@SAM55 you are far more gorgeous than Ms Westbrook so no worries there!

As long as it works :)
Surely the skin around your nose has shrunk making your nostrils seem bigger?

As long as it works :)
Surely the skin around your nose has shrunk making your nostrils seem bigger?
Yes, it does. Just needed someone else to point it out to me, and not to always assume that poor sleep is always down to stress and my bladder. ;( :rolleyes:

All working ok now thank goodness and sleep has improved. Sleep clinic rang me yesterday following their letter last week, and amongst other questions, I was asked what my weight was, and when I said it, (it was 7 stone lighter than what was on their record from Nov 15), I was asked how I had lost so much!! :confused:o_O She was surprised when I said WLS. Don't you just love the communication between the NHS, and at the same hospital!!:mad:

Yep I have had a similar experience but then quite often I have consultants who seem to assume they're the only person I see. I think they forget we are more complicated than 'just' their bit. The lack of communication is worrying at times. After the WLS when they moved me from HDU to the ward they tried to give me a full dinner! I had to point out that a) I couldn't eat solid food and when I asked if the soup was gluten free they were confused as to why I was asking! Good job I was with it enough to pay attention!

Anyway! I am so glad your sleep has improved, poor sleep just makes everything else feel 10 times harder.

Pleased that the new nose pillows have helped. Seems odd to need bigger but I'm in agreement with Feebee :) A good nights sleep can make so much difference :)

(Now to work out why I keep napping!)

Back