• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleep Apnoea

Gems123

Hi, I am due to have a gastric band on 21st May, I am booked to stay in over night in ICU due to having sleep apnoea, has anyone else had the surgery who has sleep apnoea, its making me very, very anxious, I am worried about the surgery? Any words of advice, success etc., I know I have to have the surgery as cannot keep going on like this, weight has been increasing so much lately due to depression of the sleep apnoea.

I keep reading all the forum posts and I am driving myself insane wondering if I have done the right thing!

Gems

hi
i think its always the best thing to do to better your health
i have sleep apnia symtoms so i got my gp to refer me to get tested
and in weighting to meet with the surgon regarding mt wls
i wish u all the best and stop worrying its for the best we are all killing ourselves with our weight

Although I did not have a band, but the bypass I had sleep apnea and was using a mask when I had the op. There were no problems at all and I did not even go into ICU (some hospitals take all rny patients into icu or hcu for one night regardless as it is their policy). I really would not worry as your team would not be looking at doing any op that was going to put you in danger.

The other good thing is that my sleep apnea disappeared months ago and I no longer need any treatment for it.

Hi Gems, I was really surprised when in the run up to being banded I was diagnosed with sleep apnoea, in fact they repeated the test to make sure. The anaesthetist said it would not affect the surgery at all but it was something they needed to be aware of so they could monitor appropriately. They would not operate on you if the risk was too great! Surgery and particularly anaesthetics scare most of us but try to put your trust in your team. You will already have started with your pre op diet and the road to a trimmer you.

Hi, I am due to have a gastric band on 21st May, I am booked to stay in over night in ICU due to having sleep apnoea, has anyone else had the surgery who has sleep apnoea, its making me very, very anxious, I am worried about the surgery? Any words of advice, success etc., I know I have to have the surgery as cannot keep going on like this, weight has been increasing so much lately due to depression of the sleep apnoea.

I keep reading all the forum posts and I am driving myself insane wondering if I have done the right thing!

Gems
Hi Gems,
you don't mention what op you're having, but I had my bypass at 26 stone, with severe sleep apnoea on cpap. My op went fine - the extra monitoring was there just in case. Now, I no longer use my cpap at all, and I am cured :) Good luck :)

Thanks guys, I am having my gastric band in a week or two and am nervous but your messages are making things a lot easier!

I am so looking forward to not having to use the cpap in my future, fitter, healthier life!!

x

Back