• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleeve in 3 weeks

Nixon

Hi everyone,

I've got my sleeve booked in three weeks time. Starting to feel a bit real now.

My plan is to keep it to myself, and I'm also working to quite tight deadlines too so any help and advice will be more than welcome.

So, I'm flying out to Brno to have it done with Surgal, going on my own. Ryanair have already changed my flights once, hopefully not again. I was originally going to take the train to the airport, but due to the change in flight times, I have cancelled my tickets, and will be driving instead.

So first concern, will be the drive home after the operation. I've spoken with my contact at Surgal, and she says short journeys should be ok after a week. It will be about an hours drive, so I will break it up into much smaller stints to help keep me mobile. I've also booked a hotel for the night that I fly back in the UK, so I can have some rest after the flight too.

Prepped for the liver shrinking diet, although a slight hiccup means I will be doing it for three weeks, instead of the two I had planned for. I have also saved some shopping lists for online deliveries that will cater for my post op diets, and change depending on week.

I also have the medicine cabinet stocked up with the omeprazole, multivitamins, omega 3, and some other bits and pieces. I was going to take 20mg omeprazole once a day, is this enough? I have 8 weeks worth at that dosage, as I imagine acid reflux may be an issue after the surgery.

So yeah, any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)

I'm not a driver but I'm sure I've read on here something about been able to do an emergency stop safely and letting your insurance people know....does that make sense?
Looks like your getting your house in order so thumbs up for that and doing an extra week on the lsd is no bad thing if it helps your liver to be just that little bit smaller
Ps pack a towel or pillow to put between you and your seat belt in order to protect your wounds post surgery

Last edited:
I've taken that dose of omeprazole for years to combat pretty bad acid reflux so sounds good to me but I presume whoever prescribed it knows your medical history and is satisfied it is what you need?
I second the cushion/towel suggestion. I only live 5 minutes in the car from my hospital and it was still a godsend on the way home. Good luck!

Hi everyone,

I've got my sleeve booked in three weeks time. Starting to feel a bit real now.

My plan is to keep it to myself, and I'm also working to quite tight deadlines too so any help and advice will be more than welcome.

So, I'm flying out to Brno to have it done with Surgal, going on my own. Ryanair have already changed my flights once, hopefully not again. I was originally going to take the train to the airport, but due to the change in flight times, I have cancelled my tickets, and will be driving instead.

So first concern, will be the drive home after the operation. I've spoken with my contact at Surgal, and she says short journeys should be ok after a week. It will be about an hours drive, so I will break it up into much smaller stints to help keep me mobile. I've also booked a hotel for the night that I fly back in the UK, so I can have some rest after the flight too.

Prepped for the liver shrinking diet, although a slight hiccup means I will be doing it for three weeks, instead of the two I had planned for. I have also saved some shopping lists for online deliveries that will cater for my post op diets, and change depending on week.

I also have the medicine cabinet stocked up with the omeprazole, multivitamins, omega 3, and some other bits and pieces. I was going to take 20mg omeprazole once a day, is this enough? I have 8 weeks worth at that dosage, as I imagine acid reflux may be an issue after the surgery.

So yeah, any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you :)

I too had a sleeve and didn't feel able to drive safely until 2 weeks out, as steering was very uncomfortable. The seatbelt was a complete no, no as it went straight across the wound. Braking wasn't a problem though. Saying that, I did drive 8 days out after a full cut for an appendectomy because needs must at the time. It was uncomfortable but not majorly painful and I took great care. I did end up with a hernia on my wound site which may have been caused by driving. However, it could invalidate your insurance. Is a taxi not an option?

I think a lot will depend on whether you have had a drain inserted, some of us on here have and some haven't, and it makes a great difference to your pain and healing levels.

Most but not all teams recommend soluble/liquid vits and medication for at least two weeks. You will need an A-Z multivitamin supplement. Also make sure you have a suitable laxative in the house. Senna, Milk of Magnesia, Lactulose have all been mentioned on here.

I was on Omeprazole 10mg for years before I went in. Was prescribed 10mg soluble by hospital, but stopped them a week ago and am not experiencing any stomach acid.

Be prepared when you come out that you will feel wiped out for a few weeks as your body adjusts to the trauma and the change of diet, and you will be able to do very little for a while.

Does your GP know you are having this done? You may need their services should you get any infections, have concerns...

I know a lot of people on here have not told anyone they were having this done, and it is a personal choice. I however, told all my close friends and family, and a few less close friends and colleagues, and they couldn't have been more supportive, and their care and concern has helped me get through the past couple of months. It has also made them aware that WLS is not the easy option for weights loss as they have seen me in pain, watched me only drink liquids for weeks....

Good luck, and we are all here if you need us

I told only my best friend and my husband so I understand the need for secrecy.

How soon after surgery are you flying home? I can tolerate a lot of pain but I could not have driven home after surgery- no way, and I have had four c-section births so know what I'm talking about here.
I'd suggest taking one person in on your secret or forking out for a taxi. You don't have to say it was bariatric surgery you can say it was a 'woman's issue' which usually stops all further questioning.

Make sure you have protein drinks in for post op and get lots of sleep - I slept four hours during every day for up to a week afterwards. Don't underestimate how tired you will be.

And - good luck. I am one month post op and I have lost two and a half stone (since LRD) and am delighted with my sleeve.

Well, being a bloke might make that excuse seem a little suspect :D

So I'm out there for a week, and will be back here 8 days after the surgery if everything goes ahead.

I had an appendectomy 3 months ago which was open so am familiar with some of the pain. I am expecting it to be less intrusive than that (is that correct?). I was off work for 4 weeks with that, but could have made it back to work probably a week after, just in a little discomfort. My plan is currently to return to work 2 weeks after the op. I'm office based so should be ok with regularly getting up and walking about so I don't stay sitting the whole day. If I'm suffering more than I plan, I will consider taking a third week off, but would prefer not to as the time of year means I have a mounting workload.

I'm hoping I don't get a drain, but reading up on here, it seems that quite a few people who have privately had their surgeries in another country have ended up with them. Also read about catheter's, and it will be a question I will be asking when I arrive, as that's not something I really want either.

Lot of stuff to consider and take in. Eating to a restricted diet shouldn't be too much of a problem, I've done that before, and losing weight is not too difficult, but I really struggle to keep it off, and have noticed I have been yo-yo'ing but still getting heavier each time.

Yup, best avoid the whole womb excuse then.

Good luck with the surgery. I didn't have a drain so can't comment on that. After two weeks you'll still be on liquid diet, something to think about when at work.

Oh I don't know @Nixon - if you use that excuse it'll either totally shut people up or you'll get an avalanche of questions. Won't be about WLS though :p
Also if they do need to put a catheter in it doesn't hurt having it removed just in case that's a worry. I've only told my husband and best friend and that's it and that was fine. I think it's important to have a couple of people in the know just in case you do need any extra help. Would you be able to extend your sick note if you don't feel up to work? I do a desk job as it were but took a month partly because of the fatigue so it's a good idea to have the option to take longer if you need it.

I can take time off work if it's required, but I am reluctant to as I had 4 weeks off for my appendix 3 months ago, and there's not really anyone who can do what I do, so the work load just collects up. I will decide how I feel after the second week off. I'm quite lucky in a sense, as I work a later shift, so I have a big window for catching up on sleep if it's needed to help rest.

It's going to be quite the adventure really, something new, and a big change coming up.

I drove for the first time exactly 7 days after the op - but was only a 30 min drive and it was all fine. If you're flying back 8 days after surgery, I'd say you'd probably be ok for a short drive, but you need to take into account that you've flown and will be incredibly tired from a lack of food. I'd really recommend having someone in the car with you the first time you drive if that's at all possible.

I did a very long drive yesterday 6 weeks out, having only done short ones up until now on familiar roads. My driving was fine but taking in which motorway lane i should be in or where the turning was when I was in an area I didn't know was a bit of a challenge as I was missing signposts and I must have done a 30 mile detour!!

Back