• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleeve question from newbie - please lovelies

Emma7799

Hi

I have been to see the consultant today (private) and am now confused. I know I don't want the band as I know it has a low success rate and I am a binge eater.
So I went thinking I wanted a bypass - the surgeon recommended the sleeve as my husband is concerned about the risks with the bypass and he said the sleeve is lower risk.
I am healthy (apart from obese). I even did a triathlon this year!!
But I like the idea of the sugar dumping, do you get this with the sleeve?
Also what made you choose the sleeve and have you had success?
Thank you x

I haven't had the sleeve yet - Saturday, eeek! - but my surgeon says there is a possibility you could dump with a sleeve. I am a member of a forum dedicated to sleeves too, and lots of members on there do report dumping on sweet/fatty food.

I haven't had the sleeve yet - Saturday, eeek! - but my surgeon says there is a possibility you could dump with a sleeve. I am a member of a forum dedicated to sleeves too, and lots of members on there do report dumping on sweet/fatty food.

Thank you - let me know how your surgery goes :0)

Is ii wrong that I want the sugar dumping? I want to live in fear of sweet things lol!

Will be thinking of you on Saturday where you having it done?

I dump with my sleeve but not everyone does. I strongly recommend you get some help with your binge eating before any surgery.

I also recommend that as you can still force food down with either surgery if you're a binge eater and end up making yourself very ill.

I had my sleeve almost a year ago and have never experienced dumping and now I can tolerate anything so I feel like its all up to me now. Have to just control the sweet foods now !

I also recommend that as you can still force food down with either surgery if you're a binge eater and end up making yourself very ill.

Trust me if I am spending £7000 I will control it!
It's just good to know that if I do have a bit of a blip and sugar fix it WILL make me ill.
Besides after the pre op diet and the 6 weeks liquid and mush after I will have flushed away all the sugar cravings

Well done on your weight loss it's such an inspiration x

I had my sleeve almost a year ago and have never experienced dumping and now I can tolerate anything so I feel like its all up to me now. Have to just control the sweet foods now !

Thank you for your reply
How has your weight loss been and are you pleased you chose the sleeve?
Now you can tolerate most things do you still get full quickly?
Sorry for all the questions c

hi had my sleeve done on the 5th of june this year and i have dumped a few times maybe 3 times its horrid never again but im glad cause it keep me going forward and not going back to old eatting habbits im loving my sleeve i've lost 5 stone 10lb since the liver reduction diet so really happy, good luck with your choice, i wanted the bypass but my surgeon said the sleeve would be better for me

No matter how much you spend if you don't sort your issues with food they will still control you. I've spent 20K and am still dealing with my demons. But the difference is that I am dealing with them rather than tucking in to 3 family bags of crisps with them followed by a huge meal and then the demon tells me that they could still fit something else in.

If you are recommended a sleeve think very hard about why. Remember this a tool not a cure. You will be working very hard with this for the rest of your life.

But it's so worth it. I have the rest of my life now.

I dumped with my sleeve with chocolate and fried things but not everyone does . I don't dump with my bypass but I eat so little of everything that it's impossible for me to binge like I used to. I'm glad I can still enjoy a little of whatever I want without bad things happening! Lol

Thanks for the replies but don't we all have an eating problem if we're morbidly obese? I have lost 7plus stone twice in the last three years thru weight watchers but due to circumstances reverted back to comfort eating and put the weight back on.
I eat big portions and often, I have tried medication, therapy, hypnosis, diet, I am still active so feel this is the next step for me to reduce my appetite.
Thanks x

I dumped with my sleeve with chocolate and fried things but not everyone does . I don't dump with my bypass but I eat so little of everything that it's impossible for me to binge like I used to. I'm glad I can still enjoy a little of whatever I want without bad things happening! Lol

If you don't mind me asking why did you convert to the bypass?

No matter how much you spend if you don't sort your issues with food they will still control you. I've spent 20K and am still dealing with my demons. But the difference is that I am dealing with them rather than tucking in to 3 family bags of crisps with them followed by a huge meal and then the demon tells me that they could still fit something else in. If you are recommended a sleeve think very hard about why. Remember this a tool not a cure. You will be working very hard with this for the rest of your life. But it's so worth it. I have the rest of my life now.

I hate to think how much I've spent on weight watchers , pills, fad diets etc .....
What procedure have you had?

Hi Emma
I've replied on another thread of yours. I am almost 2 years post op and still have great restriction with my sleeve.

My dietician explained that one of the ways wls patients regain is to graze all day, but if u stick to 3 meals and planned snacks you will be ok.

I think if you have lost weight before then you could do it with the sleeve. I have tried to adopt habits of naturally slim people. Ie eat when hungry, have a little of what u fancy, and exercise. Also keep an eye on your weight, and if it starts to creep on again, deal with it fast. Ie if u put on a few pounds, get rid if it, don't revert to old habits and let 1, 2 or 3 stone creep on before you deal with it. I don't know if that will make sense.

The other 'head' thing for me is that with the sleeve you can only have small portions. I find on special occasions you can feel depressed that you can no longer enjoy a normal meal, but I have trained myself to savour every mouthful, and to really enjoy what you eat, rather than thinking about what you can't eat? I think that is a huge thing for former large people. I think most obese people love eating, and get great satisfaction from eating, and you need to re train your brain to enjoy the smaller portions. I struggled for a long time with the fact that with the sleeve you only need one forkful too much to ruin that meal as you feel so uncomfortable. Once you learn the right amount to eat you can stop in time to enjoy what you have had.

I love my sleeve and what it has helped me achieve. I feel like a new woman.

Hi Emma I've replied on another thread of yours. I am almost 2 years post op and still have great restriction with my sleeve. My dietician explained that one of the ways wls patients regain is to graze all day, but if u stick to 3 meals and planned snacks you will be ok. I think if you have lost weight before then you could do it with the sleeve. I have tried to adopt habits of naturally slim people. Ie eat when hungry, have a little of what u fancy, and exercise. Also keep an eye on your weight, and if it starts to creep on again, deal with it fast. Ie if u put on a few pounds, get rid if it, don't revert to old habits and let 1, 2 or 3 stone creep on before you deal with it. I don't know if that will make sense. The other 'head' thing for me is that with the sleeve you can only have small portions. I find on special occasions you can feel depressed that you can no longer enjoy a normal meal, but I have trained myself to savour every mouthful, and to really enjoy what you eat, rather than thinking about what you can't eat? I think that is a huge thing for former large people. I think most obese people love eating, and get great satisfaction from eating, and you need to re train your brain to enjoy the smaller portions. I struggled for a long time with the fact that with the sleeve you only need one forkful too much to ruin that meal as you feel so uncomfortable. Once you learn the right amount to eat you can stop in time to enjoy what you have had. I love my sleeve and what it has helped me achieve. I feel like a new woman.

Thank you that is very helpful.
I regained my weight both times thru pregnancy so kind of let myself go but I know I can do it.
I think the key with me will be the smaller portions and great tip about enjoying each mouthful - what's that great saying "eat to live don't live to eat"
I'm enjoying reading such great journeys
I'll keep you posted x

I have never dumped with my sleeve. (Btw what a terrible term 'dump' is!!)
I didn't choose to have a sleeve, I was expecting a bypass but on the day before the op when I saw a surgeon and we discussed my medical history - hysterectomy and propensity to bleed heavily during surgery - he said he would make his mind up in theatre and due to scar tissue etc he ended up giving me a sleeve..........
I'm delighted with my weight loss.
The only thing that I'm concerned about is the evidence that with a sleeve people start putting weight back on around 3years post-op and I'd hate for that to happen!!
I fully intend to work at keeping the weight off for ever!!

Well done for doing a triathlon!!!

If you don't mind me asking why did you convert to the bypass?

I had a band which slipped and was far too tight, I had that converted to a sleeve but the scarring from the band meant food couldn't pass through so I was sick a lot. The only option was to convert it to the bypass of sorts! I love it and I wish I had just gone band to bypass. X

Back