• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleeved to be slimmer ?

Old woman, what was your starting bmi if I may ask? Sleeve was refused as with a bmi of 34.6 I wasnt heavy enough. Lost six stones with band, now bmi 21-22.
My starting BMI was just 33. THG said that they would do the band and sleeve with BMI's over 30, so opted for the sleeve as I didn't want to,have the messing around with the band and felt that the sleeve was the permanent solution I was looking for. Now weighing in at around 9 st 7 lbs and I hope to get to around 9 stone and settle there, the last little bit is slow though loosing around half a pound every two to three weeks only, but I am really pleased with my progress.

I was on 1000 calories a day for 2 weeks but weaned myself in by doing 1500 calories a day for a week before that. It was low fat and low carb and to be truthful it was ok I didn't feel deprived, just finished 4 weeks of liquids and 'enjoying' my first few days of 4 weeks of purées :)
As for the water my dietician suggested to buy a large dippy bottle mine is 800 mls I put in 150 mls frit juice a load of ice cubes and top up with water then just keep sipping I find it works for me during the day whilst I am at work, I then refill it when I get home with a little NAS vimto and ice and sip throughout the evening... Anything is worth trying to get the fluids in .... Good luck

Thank you nannaval that's a good idea I'll try that as I bet it's easier with the fluids always been to hand. Especially when I go back to work I can just sip :) x

Hey trish

Snap and snap lol what time did you have yours done? I went down at 2.10pm.

How you getting on?
Wow what a coincidence! I went down at 5pm. Origionally I was told I was 1st on the list and to come in at Midday for my op at 1pm, but when I got there I was told he had changed his list around and I think I was 3rd. I didn't feel too nervous going into the hospital but hanging around for 5 hours gave me too much time to think lol.
Im doing ok thanks, still learning all about this journey but on the whole Im feeling good. How about you?

What did everyone have for their pre op diet ? I don't really like slim fast shakes are there any other ones that are recommended that fill you up so I don't think about food lol Androulla x

I just discovered the Atkins Advantage ones. Delicious! The cappuccino one tastes like an iced coffee from Costa. Vanilla is yummy too. Tried Slimfast. Was ok but didn't fill me up at all.

Wow what a coincidence! I went down at 5pm. Origionally I was told I was 1st on the list and to come in at Midday for my op at 1pm, but when I got there I was told he had changed his list around and I think I was 3rd. I didn't feel too nervous going into the hospital but hanging around for 5 hours gave me too much time to think lol. Im doing ok thanks, still learning all about this journey but on the whole Im feeling good. How about you?

Hey trish

It ain't half lol Aww no you poor thing waiting around sucks I'd have been a wreck. I got there at 1pm and they didn't have a clue when I'd be done as I think the theatre was still in use by another surgeon and they were still working on the list. After all my forms had been filled in id got weighed and measure for my socks , then I was told get ready you'll be going down very soon so was a mad rush and panic but it was over quick and I was back in my room about 4ish. X

So I've been feeling a bit rough the last few days :( had my staples removed on Monday afternoon all looked fine and healing well. They were covered with dressings and I was told by the nurse to remove after 3 days and that was that(asked for spares incase one came off but my doctors are crap at offering things for free and she said id be ok) unfortunately one fell off during the night taking the sore and leaving a big open wound :0. I recovered it with Steri strip tape to keep it clean but throughout the day it started to weep. Went back yesterday, I've also had an allergic reaction to the dressings so got pretty red blotches all over my belly now too lol. had a swap taken to check for infection they put an iodine strip in and recovered with another type of dressing. Now I'm back tomorrow to check on it! Fingers crossed an infection is the last thing I want. feel drained now lol x x

The same thing has happened to me, I too had red blotches a reaction to those cheap and nasty dressings and one of my wounds is infected too. It was two wounds that was infected but once seems ok now. Are you on anti-biotics? my doctor gave me liquid penicillin, OMG it is like drinking battery acid it is the most vulgar thing I have ever tasted. I am back on tuesday to have my wound checked again.
Are you going to the WLS group on Saturday afternoon at Spire Solihull?
Are you eating yet?

I just discovered the Atkins Advantage ones. Delicious! The cappuccino one tastes like an iced coffee from Costa. Vanilla is yummy too. Tried Slimfast. Was ok but didn't fill me up at all.

Thankyou for that will try them did you try anything else that you wouldn't recommend or was it just slim fast.

Thanks

Hi Trish

After all we go through an infection is the last thing we need isn't it lol
No not on any anti biotics yet but I've got my check up in the morning with the nurse at gp so will see what she says. I'm not on foods yet I've got 4 weeks of liquid, I have my first phone consultation with the dietitian tomorrow. I'm not managing to get enough fluids in yet so don't think I'll be allowed to move onto mush lol . What are you on at the moment? I'm amazed how different everyone's food/fluid plans are after the surgery. No I've not heard about it I'm with THG and the dietitian is the first support/contact I'll have had since been discharged

Hi Andie Have you been advised how long to to do your pre op for?

I have my pre op appointment on the 17th June and they will tell me then. I was just trying to find out some examples of slim drinks as the only one I have tried was slim fast and it was horrible.

I have my pre op appointment on the 17th June and they will tell me then. I was just trying to find out some examples of slim drinks as the only one I have tried was slim fast and it was horrible.

I think holland and barratt do a version but I've not tried it. I'm not keen on the strawberry slim fast but quite like the caffe late as felt like I was getting a caffeine fix lol. Maybe they might up your yogurt intake for the calcium

I think holland and barratt do a version but I've not tried it. I'm not keen on the strawberry slim fast but quite like the caffe late as felt like I was getting a caffeine fix lol. Maybe they might up your yogurt intake for the calcium

Hi thanks for that will have a look in Holland and Barrett.

Hi Trish

After all we go through an infection is the last thing we need isn't it lol
No not on any anti biotics yet but I've got my check up in the morning with the nurse at gp so will see what she says. I'm not on foods yet I've got 4 weeks of liquid, I have my first phone consultation with the dietitian tomorrow. I'm not managing to get enough fluids in yet so don't think I'll be allowed to move onto mush lol . What are you on at the moment? I'm amazed how different everyone's food/fluid plans are after the surgery. No I've not heard about it I'm with THG and the dietitian is the first support/contact I'll have had since been discharged

Hi Claire, how did your appt with the doctor/nurse go today?
Im with the hospital group too, but the support group is nothing to do with them its an independant group that meet at the Spire once a month for (you guessed it) support lol. Its a group made up of pre and post oppers and I found it a great source of information when I went along in April. I couldn't make Mays meeting but I am going tomorrows.
How did you get on with the dietician today? I cant believe how long its taken them to call you. I was telephoned after about 6 or 7 days post op, and to be honest I wasn't impressed with that and I told her so!!!. I felt very out on a limb after the op, yeah I had some info she sent me pre op via email but I still wanted/needed reasurrance that I was doing the right thing. I think they should call you within the first 3 days of leaving hospital just to assure you your doing the right thing.
Im on liquids too for 4 weeks, Im not having any probs getting the liquids down and Im looking forward to moving onto some "real" food lol. How's your weight loss going? I lost a stone on the pre op diet and I weighed myself on wednesday (2 weeks post op) and I had lost another 10lb. Im pleased with that.

Hiya Trish

The nurse phoned in sick lol so I went to minor injuries at the hospital yesterday. They think it looks ok but said I've got to go back to the nurse tomorrow. You'd think THG would offer more support but that's good that spire offer it. How did it go? I'll definitely try make next months.

I got on ok with the dietitian, she said I'm not doing too bad but could be better and I need to try get more protein and milk in. I just don't fancy anything and as I'm not hungry it's like I have to force myself to eat/drink lol apparently it will get easier when on the mush stage. I hope it does lol
I'm finding drinks have to be icey cold to get down easier but she said that is due to been swollen still from the op so it's easier to manage that way. I bet mash and gravy will never have tasted so good lol not long for us now only 10 days is it lol

It is like your just operated on and then left to it I had the gastric sleeve/bypass booklet and was told to read and follow that but that's not really support! I had a call the day after I'd gone home from the nurses to check I was ok but nothing regarding the diet. I'm so glad of this page it's really helped me.

That's brilliant you should be pleased Hun
I started at my heaviest as 24st7lbs on my consultation 27th April and lost 1st3lbs on pre op (I didn't weight myself the day I started it!! Doh lol)
Today I weighted 22st0.6lbs so I'm chuffed with that. Roll on the teens haha x

So today is 1 month exactly since my sleeve and I'm just moving onto soft foods after 4 weeks of liquids! I'm doing ok but it is strange adapting and chewing again after so long lol. I'm getting like a heart burn sensation which isn't nice :/ hope that eases soon

On the plus side I've lost 2st 12lbs including my 2 week pre op diet and thought if share my photos of the start of diet and then today as I feel like gloating sorry :D

Attachments

• image-1974979677.jpg
    image-1974979677.jpg
    437.7 KB · Views: 64
  • image-1810770511.jpg
    image-1810770511.jpg
    435.7 KB · Views: 69
Me :)

Attachments

• image-4005381379.jpg
    image-4005381379.jpg
    437.2 KB · Views: 63