• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sleeves What to expect?

Rupert

As someone having a sleeve soon. what is the best or worse things about having the surgery that you wished you knew before you had it. being pre op I'm interested in what your expectations were and has your sleeve lived up to what you thought?

Rupert,

I had my sleeve 13 weeks ago now and don't regret a single moment. The 2 weeks of liver shrinkage diet were a bit boring and probably the most difficult thing to get through. Once you've had the surgery your appetite disappears so you don't worry about food. Before surgery you still have the same desires and have to control yourself. I managed to stick to one of my suppliers diet options totally for two weeks, but you will hear of some people who fall off the diet temporarily. As you are probably aware the whole purpose of the diet is to shrink your liver to make it easier for the surgeon to do their bit. My surgeon told me that just one meal high in carbs could totally destroy all the good work you have put in and as a result the surgery may not be able to proceed. So stick to the diet no matter what if you want to make life easier for everyone.

The surgery itself, for me, was a doddle I didn't have any pain afterwards. Was given 10mg of morphine when I came round from surgery as I had a bit of discomfort then. After that it was just paracetamol, was given some to take home but never took them and haven't taken any pain killers since. After surgery I was back in my room and walking about after an hour or so and had a cup of coffee. First night didn't get much sleep purely due to the hourly observation checks by the nurses. Second night they left me alone from about 11pm to 6am so that was good.

The only downside was getting rid of the trapped wind - for me this was the worst part of the entire experience. Nothing I did seemed to help, from walking around, taking wind relief tablets, drinking peppermint tea and many other supposed cures. None of them worked, it was uncomfortable and lasted nearly 5 days, slowly getting better each day as your body re-absorbed the gas they pump you with to enable the surgeon to see what there doing. Once absorbed back into the body it left by one of two ways (if you get my drift).

After leaving hospital I was 2 weeks on fluids, 2 weeks on pureed food, 2 weeks on soft food before going back onto a normal diet. I hated the pureed food stage as it was just disgusting looking, but, it was only a couple of weeks. I'm now eating normal food, but really small portions, occasionally I feel a bit hungry between meals but it takes very little to satisfy that until my next meal comes around.

As I said I'm now 13 weeks post op, have lost just over 61lbs since the start of the pre-op diet and feel brilliant. Most of my clothes have been recycled as they are way too big for me now. I've gone from Morbidly Obese through Severely Obese to just Moderately Obese in those 13 weeks. The future looks good and I'm so glad I did this. Would I do it all again if I had to - absolutely without a doubt.

I wish you all the very best for your upcoming surgery and will welcome you onto the losers bench when you've had it.

AE.

Thanks AE
I glad its working I was wondering did you have any other medical conditions Ie Sleep apena or any other Co Indicators?

i had my sleeve done nearly 14 weeks ago, and had the same thing as AE, but i was 3 weeks on each stage now im down 81lb since april so feeling great, i have sleep apnea and its improved so much that i dont wear my mask/machine most nights and i dont keep the whole house up with the snoring

Being in control is the most amazing thing. I've just had 2 weeks off on holiday and I know on Monday ill get right back on it!

Rupert,
I had a very smooth surgery 19 week ago (no pain, no wind) and was back at work in 2 weeks. I could have managed to go back before, maybe, but I'm a long distance commuter and wanted to move to the puree stage before traveling.
At the beginning I hated my sleeve because I had been booked for a bypass that I couldn't have because the surgeon found some duodenal polyps.
This to say that I had no placebo effect to help me and lost 30 kg. (with pre op) all the same.
The worst part have been:
- sorting head hunger on the first few days when snacking and grazing were still an habit. It still happens to me that I feel I need to chew on something but I settle it with a SF sweet,
- eyeballing my portions. My eyes were (and sometimes are) more hungry than my stomach. Luckily, I've only felt sick once and I'm able to feel when I'm full before feeling sick. It's all about eating very slowly and chewing very well.
First weeks are difficult indeed but then everything becomes easier and smoother.

Thanks AE
I glad its working I was wondering did you have any other medical conditions Ie Sleep apena or any other Co Indicators?
Hi,

I had some heart palpitations for up to a year before hand - no one ever put it down to my weight, but I'm sure hauling all the extra around isn't / wasn't good and could have been responsible, not had any more since.

Apart from that I had no other issues at all. My surgery was done privately so fortunately I didn't have to jump through all the hoops they put there for having it done on the NHS, once I was told that my local CCG wouldn't be interested in me even though I qualified through the NICE guidelines I just approached my chosen surgeon and got things done.

AE.

I was starting to get worried myself but you have all reassured me that it's not too bad and the results are more than worth any problems, thank you

Hi Rupert. I'm glad you posted as I'm having the sleeve op on the 10.12.13 so it was nice to hear about other peoples experiences. Good luck for your op and keep posting. :)

hi Rupert I am also having a sleeve preformed on the 7/12/13 and cannot wait this forum is given me so much advice and help its brilliant . I am currently on my milk diet its been hard but well worth it in the end. I wish u all the best x

Hi Rupert! I am exactly one year post sleeve op and I was lucky too in that I've had no difficulties or pain since the op. I've lost all my excess weight and it's quite challenging to maintain it sometimes. The one thing that I hated was that I had a drain when I woke up and it was really painful. So happy with my sleeve op as it has changed my life!! Best of luck and keep us posted pls

Congratulations AE! Wow, I hope mine goes as well as yours! Got my date April 11th. A while to go yet but I can't wait!!!
Good luck to those being sleeved soon! xxx

Last edited:
I had my op 4 months ago and its the best thing I have ever done for myself, in the beginning like days post op I regretted it as I felt really unwell which was mainly panic/anxiety over what I had done to myself but now I love it, it keeps me in check I cant over eat but I can eat what I like just a very small amount which in honesty can at times be frustrating as the enjoyment of food has now gone but so has 4st3lb so im not complaining.
My only advise is make sure your 100% committed to changing as once its done your stuck with it like it or not but me....I love it and would do it again in a heat beat.
Good luck x x

ps - I had high bp but my meds have been halved and I had mild sleep ap which I don't think I have anymore :)

Hi I am scheduled to have my sleeve op on 02 April. Was originally scheduled for 18 Dec 2013 to have the gastric bypass but had it postposed as psychologically was not ready. After further discussion with my surgeon, I have decided to go for the sleeve due to there being fewer complications. Hope its going to be okay but am feeling a bit reassured by some comments.

Hi I am scheduled to have my sleeve op on 02 April. Was originally scheduled for 18 Dec 2013 to have the gastric bypass but had it postposed as psychologically was not ready. After further discussion with my surgeon, I have decided to go for the sleeve due to there being fewer complications. Hope its going to be okay but am feeling a bit reassured by some comments.

Good luck on your op!

I too had decided for a bypass and then had to have a sleeve due to some medical complications.
At the beginning I was sure I could never comply with a sleeve. Now, 10 months post op, I'm soooo happy I seldom remember I wanted a bypass.
I've lost all of my excees weight in less than 8 months (well, it wasn't much, compared to others) and I can eat almost anything, just in tiny portions.

Back