• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

SLimming world bad???

Jamast

A GP I used to work with once commented that Slimming World is one of the worst 'clubs' that a person could join and he would prefer his patients to attend Weightwatchers if they insist on joining one.

I've always ignored this - however, at a recent BOSPA meeting, a few people said the same (including the woman running the meeting and the NHS person who was there. Something to do with being able to eat what you want (followed certain coloured rules or something - but this can get your stomach used to larger amounts than you may have eaten previously) but once you get within target - the real work begins and the 'dieter' suddenly has to restrict their intake.

My problem is that I live in a village, with no way of getting to weightwatchers meetings, and the only slimming club we have in the village is Slimming World.

Has anyone on here been successful with SLimming World?

Does anyone attend slimming world - and if so, would you recommend?

Mazza

Administrator
Staff member
I have been to slimming world in the past and yes I have to agree the old plan did seem to encourage over eating!

Im veggi so stuck to *green* days, I was told I could eat as much rice and pasta as I wanted - so I did, result no weight loss!

The plan has however changed for the better, eating plenty of veg, fruit and lean protein is encouraged and carbs are limited.

If you are thinking of doing it why not buy one of the mags and have a look at the recipies etc xx

mayamoo

I think essentially its quite a healthy plan but like any diet if you abuse it it will have a detrimental affect - eg Muller light yoghurts are "free" you could in theory eat dozens in a day but why would you? Just because it says you can eat as much of x y and z as you want common sense needs to prevail esp if you had had some firm of surgery xx

Sharonimo

Sleeve to Bypass
A GP I used to work with once commented that Slimming World is one of the worst 'clubs' that a person could join and he would prefer his patients to attend Weightwatchers if they insist on joining one.

Strangely I've always been of the opposite opinion, but it takes all sorts doesn't it !!

I could never get to grips with the WW points system, and with WW you could (almost) eat anything you like (inc cheesecake, crisps, ready meals and coke) as long as you worked out what the points were -- it might well mean there was nothing much else in your allowance for that day, but you could achieve your points targets with not so healthy food.

When I last did Slimming World with a friend a few years back, I liked the fact that many, many "easy option" foods (inc ready meals, fizzy drinks and stuff) counted as SINS -- indeed just one can of coke was 10 sins in itself -- your entire sin allowance for the whole day !!!

My view was that although SW did allow a modicum of "as much as you like" of certain foods, they were always wholesome, home cooked, non processed foods.

My problem is that I live in a village, with no way of getting to weightwatchers meetings, and the only slimming club we have in the village is Slimming World.

I was going to say, is there a Rosemary Conley club near you, but I've just checked the website and the only Conley clubs in Cornwall are in Launceston.

I would say go with SW if that is your only local option -- any diet club gives us the "accountability" factor of the weekly weigh in, whether you follow their plan to the letter or not. :)

GOOD LUCK !! :D

Jamast

I have been to slimming world in the past and yes I have to agree the old plan did seem to encourage over eating!

Im veggi so stuck to *green* days, I was told I could eat as much rice and pasta as I wanted - so I did, result no weight loss!

The plan has however changed for the better, eating plenty of veg, fruit and lean protein is encouraged and carbs are limited.

If you are thinking of doing it why not buy one of the mags and have a look at the recipies etc xx

Good Idea - I've been looking at a couple of SLimming world books that belong to a friend and I quite liked the look of them.

Jamast

Strangely I've always been of the opposite opinion, but it takes all sorts doesn't it !!

I could never get to grips with the WW points system, and with WW you could (almost) eat anything you like (inc cheesecake, crisps, ready meals and coke) as long as you worked out what the points were -- it might well mean there was nothing much else in your allowance for that day, but you could achieve your points targets with not so healthy food.

When I last did Slimming World with a friend a few years back, I liked the fact that many, many "easy option" foods (inc ready meals, fizzy drinks and stuff) counted as SINS -- indeed just one can of coke was 10 sins in itself -- your entire sin allowance for the whole day !!!

My view was that although SW did allow a modicum of "as much as you like" of certain foods, they were always wholesome, home cooked, non processed foods.

I was going to say, is there a Rosemary Conley club near you, but I've just checked the website and the only Conley clubs in Cornwall are in Launceston.

I would say go with SW if that is your only local option -- any diet club gives us the "accountability" factor of the weekly weigh in, whether you follow their plan to the letter or not. :)

GOOD LUCK !! :D

Thats what I was thinking - about the weekly weigh in!

And as for the WW 'thing' - I'm the same. I've tried them a number of times and it doesn't suit (if that makes sense). Strangely - the last time I did WW, was actually through a weight loss promotion that my GP was part of (different GP though lol). You basically got 12 weeks for free. It semed ot be mainly a money making scheme to me - always loads to buy at the meetings and things the person running the meetings tried to convince everyone that they couldn't live without.

Paul-H

Hi

I once did the older Slimmingworld red/green diet, although I only ever did red days and lost 4 stone in 4 months, then after putting it all back on and some more I tried it again, by this time it had changed and I couldn't loose a thing on it. It was odd but in the days when I was allowed to eat as much corned beef as I wanted the weight fell off, but once things like that had been removed I struggled to loose anything.

Mind you as we all know 95% of all diets fail, and that is what the likes of slimming world and weight watchers etc rely on, how else would they make there millions.

Paul

Sarahmaria

I think sws great-just not for me as im awful at sticking to anything. :(. Thats why its prob a good thing that the surgery i have wont be reversible!!

Xx

Yvessa

My choice was ww as I couldn't get my head around slimming world. But have always been into numbers and so pointing seemed easy. Also ww made logical sense, that you could have a certain amount of these foods but the good foods were unlimited. If, like me, you don't do portion control, eventually, neither work :(

JO28172

I joined ww and have shifted 1stone in 4weeks .....happy with that :)