• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Slimming World

I joined slimming world last year. I felt like I needed the group vibe to push me below 14 stone. I had lost loads of weight, starting at 23.12. But, I really wanted to make it to a "NORMAL" bmi. I got down to 10.10 which was my target. I am still a target member although I am below target technically following plastics. I love the atmosphere of the group. Sometimes I feel like I need "permission" to eat normal food, if that makes sense. Definitely worth doing!

How do Slimming World work out your 'target weight'. I'm thinking about going when I'm back on my feet after Wednesday to shift the last 3kg healthily and stay there.

How motivating and informative is the 'Marjorie Dawes' section of the meeting ?
Is it lead by the leader or input from the group?

Did Rosemary Conley autumn 2012, but the leader in my area was a bit rubbish. My 'thinner' friends do Weight Watchers, but I can't seem to get much enthusiasm for it as it promotes their own food brand too much and I hate processed food.

Need a kick up the bum with sugar, but if I don't have that I pass out as I can't eat enough, humm.

How do Slimming World work out your 'target weight'. I'm thinking about going when I'm back on my feet after Wednesday to shift the last 3kg healthily and stay there.

How motivating and informative is the 'Marjorie Dawes' section of the meeting ?
Is it lead by the leader or input from the group?

Did Rosemary Conley autumn 2012, but the leader in my area was a bit rubbish. My 'thinner' friends do Weight Watchers, but I can't seem to get much enthusiasm for it as it promotes their own food brand too much and I hate processed food.

Need a kick up the bum with sugar, but if I don't have that I pass out as I can't eat enough, humm.

The beginners talk is really good. Your food optimising book will become your Bible. The target is totally up to you. The leader will work out your "ideal" weight if you want. But, it's really what ever you are happy with as long as it's not below what's classed as your minimum healthy weight.

Sounds like a plan to give it a whirl. I want to get down to 65kg which puts my BMI at 21.7. Do-able! but maintainable is what I'm kind of after. I hope to lose 1kg on the slab on Wednesday morning, so that's a start :)

Good to hear so many good things about SW from WLS.

Sounds like a plan to give it a whirl. I want to get down to 65kg which puts my BMI at 21.7. Do-able! but maintainable is what I'm kind of after. I hope to lose 1kg on the slab on Wednesday morning, so that's a start :)

Good to hear so many good things about SW from WLS.

Lol I lost 11 on the slab 3 weeks ago xxx. Sw totally maintainable. It's proper food so you don't feel like you are missing out.

Im joining slimming world this wednesday as my weight loss has stopped, im not gaining but not losing and had my band a year in March so fingers crossed and ill keep you posted xx

I lost 5 stone on slimming world 2 years ago but put it all back on. They don't teach you portion control and say you can have as much potato, pasta and rice as you like. When I stopped going I couldn't control portions and ate the same way but with high fat bad carb foods. It might work better now I physically can't eat large amounts.

Hi I am with you Nicola. The whole carb thing doesn't work for me. I have done ww before and found that good. I hope to maintain now at 11 stone 10 and a size 14 but I watch my weight daily. I can see the pull of going back though for healthy eating and for the group feel.
I am going to ask the nurse who gives me my b12 to check my weight as it isn't bring formally checked aside from my daily weigh ins.
Well done to everyone showing the commitment. I can't say never to going back to a club but hope I never have up do Cambridge or lighter life again! .

I once lost 2 stone with slimming world many moons ago but for me I just couldn't keep it off since then over 10 years I put on 8 stone!!! Nearly a stone a year that's my fault tho! Carbs just don't work too great for me!

Carbs are tricky. Unless you are very active it can be difficult sometimes. I don't have a problem with carbs now that I run so much.

I once lost 2 stone with slimming world many moons ago but for me I just couldn't keep it off since then over 10 years I put on 8 stone!!! Nearly a stone a year that's my fault tho! Carbs just don't work too great for me!

I lost 6 stone on lighter life then Cambridge in 7-8 months and then put on 7 stone in 2 years!!!

I just don't eat many carbs and still do slimming world. There are plenty of non high carb free foods. Portion control is something you learn from restriction so maybe pre op or with little of it you might struggle with the idea. They do advocate the use of two thirds free food, one third super free food. I quite often have two thirds super free like green veg and 1 third free food. That works for me but you have to do what works for you. It's like any plan you have to work with it for it to work. Any way that what works for some of us. Lots of people don't follow any plan post op, just being sensible and they lose weight too. I did that for the first 14 stone :)

Last edited:
Right. Decision made. Cosmetic surgery cancelled this morning, so am going to SW next Tuesday evening. Sorted :eek: I want to stay as on-the-ball as Gary and need a kicking me thinks. Also going to do BMF & Parkrun. Mad.

Right. Decision made. Cosmetic surgery cancelled this morning, so am going to SW next Tuesday evening. Sorted :eek: I want to stay as on-the-ball as Gary and need a kicking me thinks. Also going to do BMF & Parkrun. Mad.

Why have you cancelled?

See I follow the plan and don't limit carbs but still lose. In fact I lose better with carbs! Our bodies are funny things. Jemima, feel free to tell me to mind my own business, but should we be worrying about you? I thought you were the low end of healthy BMI already?

Surgeon phoned in sick 90 minutes before. :D He's so sought after I booked nearly 7 months ago, he now has a 3 month waiting time.

Bit of a bad day :badmood:

Yve, yes be worried, and yes please tell me :( am thinking that the food lessons in SW will help me to have more food choices and help get off sugar. Just to focus me for a while.

I am the wrong end of the BMI scale now, and complete strangers commented on my bones on holiday in November. My best friend and running partner is reminding me to eat and try new foods a lot. For my bone structure, I feel chunky and want the scales to be 65kg. I'm hovering on the 68kg but have put on another 2-3kg without blinking in a week or so. I am hopeless on vitamins as I find it so hard to take tablets and had them all in I/V in November.

I find it hard to eat, so can live on milk and sweets with some 'food'. Just started tonight back on the anti-spasm drugs.

I think I know I have an issue, but head wedged firmly in sand.

Oh hon :( I can only imagine how hard this must be. Slimming world did set me free foodwise, but that step of allowing yourself to eat is something that you need to do - whether its with your teams help, or with our support. The slimming world plan is very healthy and it may help. Have you spoken to your team?

Back