• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Slimming World

Mamfa

Hi all, am 5 weeks post op and planning to go back to slimming world for a bit of structure and support etc. Do I need to inform them of my bypass? I don't really want to tell them but feel that if I don't I will be cheating in some way??

I go to weight watchers - more to maintain my weight than anything, but then I'm 2 years post op. I never felt the need to tell my leader about my WLS and if I dont follow the plan exactly either, I attend more than anything so that I am accountable to the scales each week if that make sense.

In your position, I would say it is far too early to be putting yourself on "a diet" and following SW, or any other plan at this time is not going to give you all the things you need as a WLSer - however, if like me you just like the idea of having to weigh in each week, then no harm done. I would perhaps ring the SW leader if I was as early post op as you and explain that this is what you are seeking from the class right now and wouldnt like to be singled out as slimmer of the week etc etc.

Hope that helps and good luck with your journey x

I go to weight watchers - more to maintain my weight than anything, but then I'm 2 years post op. I never felt the need to tell my leader about my WLS and if I dont follow the plan exactly either, I attend more than anything so that I am accountable to the scales each week if that make sense.

In your position, I would say it is far too early to be putting yourself on "a diet" and following SW, or any other plan at this time is not going to give you all the things you need as a WLSer - however, if like me you just like the idea of having to weigh in each week, then no harm done. I would perhaps ring the SW leader if I was as early post op as you and explain that this is what you are seeking from the class right now and wouldnt like to be singled out as slimmer of the week etc etc.

Hope that helps and good luck with your journey x
Thanks Sam, yes my reasons for going are for the support and encouragement and so that I have a definite weigh in day as at the moment i am weighing far too often. Also I feel I need to re-learn what healthy looks like so I don't slip back into bad habits. I hadn't even considered it might be too soon. Really appreciate your advice. xx

Go for it if you feel you are ready. Are you still on the mash stage or normal food? Had my op last november so can't remember what stage 5 weeks would be. I re-started slimming world the beginning of April, but was really ill after my bypass or I would have gone back sooner. I've told them though, but they knew about the op before I had it. They are really supportive. I think it is important that others slimmers see that having a bypass isn't the easy way out too, that it is a hard, long road to being slimmer.

Jacki.

I agree on the weighing side once a week and ditch your scales but I do feel its a bit soon yet.I would wait till I was eating 'normal'food then go.I too thought of going back to SW and would tell them I just needed the structure to maintain.I wouldnt want to be made slimmer of the week either!Maz x

I go to ww each week although I have been open with my leader & the rest of the people who stay for the meeting talk. Not because I want to be smug about having surgery but because I dint want people to feel bad if they were struggling & I seem to be loosing so well. This way I can be open & honest with everyone if anyone has a problem with my choices that is their problem . I feel I need the support of the group & the regular weigh in on scales I can trust, my nearest wls support group is an hours drive away & for me not so easy to get to (we currently only have one car & my husband works shifts).
My leader is supportive as are the others they ask questions & I answer as accurately as I can. I emphasise it's not an easy option but a tool to help me hence why I still go to the meetings. I need them & the team support as well as the advice on how to lose weight through healthy eating, I may have to adapt things to my restrictions but it's great to have them there.

Back