• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Small Changes

Sharonimo

Sleeve to Bypass
Firstly, apologies that I have not been online much during the past few days. Despite still suffering from bronchitis, I am very happy and positive this discovered all of these things this morning:

1. Boots scales say that I am now 21 st 11 lbs (305 lbs / 138.5 Kg) and this is the first time in over two years my weight has been below 22 stone. When I was referred for the surgery back in January 2011 my weight was 23 stone 8 lbs (330 lbs / 150 Kgs). Part of last year I was immobile following a bad fall / knee injury in July and spent 3 months on crutches. (Prior to the fall my weight was 22½ stone, but then being inactive led to my weight creeping back above 23 stone again). I have been walking again since October and just being physically active has led to weight falling off since then.

2. Today is my first day back at work and I knew as soon as I was putting on my work gear that my size 30 clothes will need to be donated to a charity shop fairly soon. And my size 32 big black woollen coat is falling off me like an aircraft hanger! It was big when I got it, but you know how it is when you are size 28+ sometimes trying to find a size 28 / 30 coat becomes difficult. (And why do Evans never sell any decent full length, lined, woollen, proper winter coats? !!!) :mad: :mad: :mad: So I ended up with this enormous size 32 tent from an eBay seller a year or two ago, simply in desperation at not being able to find a proper winter coat on the high street.

3. When I left my flat to do the 2 flights of stairs (down) to the high street and 500 yard walk to the train station, I found that at this weight I can now do stairs "normally" !!! (Since my knee injury I have been crawling up and down stairs crab fashion, one step, one foot at a time, sideways, holding onto the bannister.)Not sure yet whether I will be able to do stairs normally on the way back up this evening -- think that might be too much to expect yet, but if I can do "down" normally and back up sideways crab-fashion, it's progress.

4. Walking past the row of shops on the way to the train station (Wilkinsons, Ladbrokes and Barclays) I had to nip past two police officers who were DAWDLING! OMG! Arrest them, please! I cannot believe I was walking (not marching, just normal pace walking!) faster than two young, fit, healthy police officers !!!!!! :8855::8855::8855:

It's at times like this, when everything seems to be going well, and we can see signs that just a few very small changes lead to big rewards, I start to wonder, could I do this on my own, without the surgery? Silly question really. If I continued to lose weight at the rate I have managed during 2011 (i.e. 25 lbs off per year) it would take me another 6 years to reach goal and I would be nearly 50 by the time I reached a healthy weight and, of course, I might fall off the wagon at some point (as I obviously have done many times in the past).

So I am now feeling that although I could possibly *almost* crack this "small changes / healthy eating / moderate physical activity" thing on my own -- not mad crash dieting (which is actually the reason why all previous attempts have failed -- yes I have done the "only 500 cals a day thing" (VLCD) or 1200 cals a day (R.Conley) and gymming and swimming 3 or 4 times a week -- but only as part of a "diet" -- never as part of a much slower, less dramatic, SMALL CHANGES permanent lifestyle choice) -- I am hoping that the surgery will provide the golden key to keeping the weight off, and hopefully a modicum of restriction that should prevent any major blow outs or wagon fall offs in future!

well done keep upthe good work x

Well done you x

Back