• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Smoking

Kaitmoussa

Any smokers out there? Did your dr tell you that you had to quit before surgery? Did you quit, if you didn't did you have any complications?

My dr sd I had to quit 6 weeks prior to surgery, well I'm 3 weeks until surgery and haven't done to good some days I dont smoke and some days I smoke up to 4 cigs. Its so hard...

i know love , i was told i couldnt have surgery unless i gave up,i was on 40 a day , your doing great , just keep trying , i didnt use any aids but have you asked your gp for help?i decided i wanted the op more than the ciggies , gave up at christmas,was the hardest thing i ever done but the most rewarding, took a good four weeks before i strarted to feel better ,plus , i thought why go through all this waiting for surgery,and the emotional rollercoaster ride , to maybe die of a smoking related illness later on?,and with my family history ,thats where i was heading ,,,it was the only way i could give up ,i hope you get there , and i do know what your going through. but you can do it !, good luck x x

Yes meee, trying to quit. No cigarets in one and a half weeks it's so hard but it will be so worth it. We were told we are not allowed the operation if we don't quit. Ntgh are going to start checking urine (apparently can check nicotine from longer back) to see if anyone cheats. Take today as a new day your doing so well. Have you tried the patches and inhalator ? I'm on inhalator it help if you miss putting something to your mouth and gives you a bit nicotine X x x

You have my sympathy giving up smoking and giving up comfort food all together is hard. I'm about a month and 1 week out from giving up fags! and i still find it hard, haven't felt any benefit yet. But got through the surgery. The best aid i had was the tablets, they worked a treat!!

Good Luck.

I think the benefit is limited in giving up so close to surgery and you are a private patient. In my hospital a lady in the room opposite went out for a ciggy 2 days after surgery!

But i'm sticking with the giving up to see what the benefits are?

Good Luck

Yes tried the tablets they are great just forgot to take mine I'm crap with tablets. Will have to conquer that though. But cigarets do not taste the same and taste horrible. Would advise anyone to give them a try x x x

I didn't really quit before my surgery... I cut down using patches but had my last cig only a couple of day before surgery. It was a bad idea!! I got an awful cough the day after surgery and was coughing all the tar and stuff out of my lungs and making myself sick constantly. You really don't want to get yourself into that state - it's hideous!

I also believe that everything takes longer to heal if you smoke as you don't have the same oxygen in your blood.

Had a bad day the past couple of days. The no smoking is going great but I can't stop munching on everything, just need to give my head a wobble. So today I'm going to nip it in the bud and start afresh with health eating. I'm off to chop up some cucumber and have found the most delicious dip kraft light herb and garlic dressing, it's my new found friend lol. Everyone who is trying to give up keep up the good work. X x x

well done love , your doing great , carrot sticks and peanut butter got me through it!along with brushing my teeth everytime a fancied a ciggy, or 5 mins skipping if i was at home,lol,sounds revolting and crazy now but it worked for me ! x keep up the good work x

Back