• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

smoking

yancy75

I was told I needed to quit smoking 2 months prior to surgery. Well I quit for a while but started back smoking again. I was smoking 2 packs a day but now just a few a day but regardless I am still smoking some. My surgery is a week away and I am terrified I have set myself up for problems healing. Has anyone else gone into surgery being a smoker?

I was a heavy smoker prior to surgery. Got a last min date and panicked! I cut right down in the days leading up to the op and smoked none from 11am the day before. I have to say, I had chest problems 1 day post op and they were considering keeping me in, but I knew that what I was coughing up was due to only quitting a few days before and so I made the decision to have one that afternoon. Didn't really enjoy it but it helped. Will be smacked by numerous people for telling you this but I would suggest that you quit in plenty of time to avoid any un necessaries! I started quickly getting back to 20 a day and was constantly worried that it may affect my healing. All I can say, is that I must be one of the lucky ones as I had no bothers at all. That is in no way advice to continue though. Do what you can. I do feel I need to quit to continue embracing my new healthy body but at the moment it is my only vice. xxx Good luck whatever you decide to do xxx And sorry if my honesty causes any bothers xxxx

I knew the surgeon would not do my op if I hadn''t quit over 90 days before. I have up at the end of January, and had my surgery 2 weeks ago.

i lied all the way though with the smoking and so did my daughter, a good gargle with a good mouth wash did it for us. my daughter never even had time to do the milk diet as she only had 4 days notice for her opp ( last xmas ) and every thing was fine for both of us.
not the best advice but how many times have you been told to stop smoking by a doctor?

Yes I was a smoker when I had my op :ignore:

and still am :whoopass:

I know it isn't the best advice but I just wanted to know there were ones out there who did ok even if they couldn't give up the smoking. What is the milk diet? My Doctor isn't requiring me to do a milk diet.

the milk diet is to shrink you liver ready for surgery, you basically live on milk for two weeks and a sugar free jelly. very hard to do, but i did it three times (6 weeks in all) because of cancellations because of the snow.
ps what hospital are you under?

i am a smoker and was never advised to quit i was very naughty and had a smoke the day of my op very luckly i had no problems

Back