• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

So.....head hunger?

Sarahj2710

So I am now 5 weeks post bypass and am feeling ok, apart from really tired all the time, but apparently everything is normal with the bloods so not sure what's causing the tiredness:confused:. However, the one thing I am trying to overcome is the head hunger. I know when my body has had enough (starting to feel restriction more, now that I am introducing more foods) but how do you get through the head hunger? Is it just a case of occupying yourself? My husband was no help he just said he'd have a packet of crisps!! Does anyone else get this?

I have just been banded and I know exactly how you feel, I feel very tired and I cant work out if I am hungry or if it is all in my head. I think about food alot and sometimes have found myslef just going for a sleep to get over these thoughts. I think you are right its about finding something else to think about... I know its hard breaking the food cycle.

We will get there in the end x

Jane x

I am the same also... I never feel physically hungry in truth, I have to remind myself to eat most of the time it is an effort, but I think about food an awful lot, especially all the naughty foods I used to indulge in. I think it takes a long time for your head to catch up with your body.... xx

It's one of those takes time things I'm afraid. The head hunger and still feeling tired. You are probably doing more now you are nearly recovered but you still aren't eating properly yet so you have less energy, plus you are actually still recovering. Think I starting to feel less tired around 6-8 weeks. 8-9 weeks is when my head hunger pretty much stopped. Don't get me wrong, I will still have a moment that I fancy something naughty but it passes and it doesn't seem to actually manifest as a hunger feeling. In fact I don't really ever get hungry now, but if I leave it too long between meals I will feel queasy, like low blood sugar as a reminder to eat. I'm not sure if head hunger goes away for everyone, and I have a feeling it doesn't stay away forever but I imagine it decreases for everyone at the very least. When you are on solids and you starting planning your food, thinking about it changes from what yummy things can I eat today, to how many nutrients can I pack into the little amount I eat. I use to look at food blogs and cooking shows all the time to fantasise about the food but now I don't - not saying you can't but I just don't think about it enough to bother. So yes, just time again I'm afraid, the hormones, restriction and just getting to grips with it all, really improves from 8 weeks and gets better from there. Hang in there :) x

I havnt had any cravings as such, just disappointed with myself not trying hard enough to eat and drink! I also feel really tired xxxx

You mustn't push yourself too hard dimond. Your body is still healing and slowly but surely you will be able to eat and drink more. The tiredness probably isn't helping but that too will get better as each week passes xxx

Hi Sarah - as a pre-opper I'm not really qualified to give advice (but that's never stopped me) and thinking about food after the op is something I worry about. Having the op but then still thinking about and missing food. I guess its like giving up smoking which I did a few years ago. The cravings there do die down but pop up every now and again ~(though less and less). Keep soldiering on and I'm sure you'll get there. Best wishes, David

Back