• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

So I'm about to do this thing!!šŸ˜±

Sim1

Hi Everyone,
I've been lurking on this site for a while now. Everyone is so candid and inspirational. I have finally decided to introduce myself.
I'm Sims (aged 38) and I am just over 9 months into a 12 month tier 3 programme with Spire in Southampton. I've two little ones and initially followed the programme, as suggested by my GP, because I wanted some tools to support my weight loss. I'm 19st 9lbs and 5ft 5 and a bit. WLS always seemed too scary to me and with 2 boys I was (still am) worried that something would go wrong and I wouldn't be able to see my boys grow up.
I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hidradenitis Supparativa and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ME.
If you know about any of these conditions you'll know that the quality of life you have as a result is pretty crappy and that they are all conditions that are made worse by excess weight.That said I'm luckier than most. I have a wonderful job, a great partner and obviously my beautiful boys.
My problem is that my life since I was around 17 and started gaining weight has been dictated by food and my weight. There's been so many things I haven't had the confidence/energy to do and I don't want that to be the case anymore. I want to be able to watch my boys grow up and become men, go on a beach holiday, join the girls in the office on shopping trips and not be a burden on my partner as my health conditions worsen because of my weight.
Sooo... I made the decision 6 months into the programme that I would have WLS if that was what was recommended.
I've seen a dietician every month since starting the programme and a psychologist 4 times. I'm at the stage where I will be referred for tier 4 in June 2020.

Since making the decision I've done loads of research, websites, YouTube and asking questions of my dietician.

If given the option I'd probably opt for the bypass as I have had acid reflux in the past and my understanding is that VSG can sometimes exacerbate reflux. Its horrible so no thank you.

Has anyone else found this to be the case?

Also has anyone had their journey in Southampton and if so how long from referral to tier 4 did you have to wait for surgery day? Now that I've made the decision and it looks like my GP and other health professionals agree I'm eager to start my journey and reclaim my life back from my internal food monster!

Loobie Loo xx

Helloooo!! Just thought Iā€™d say Hi! Sorry I cannot relate to your health conditions, but Iā€™m having my surgery privately at Portsmouth.. donā€™t often see people on here from down south, so welcome and good luck!! šŸ˜xx

Sim1

Thank you for a lovely welcome.
Yay! Another Hampshire bod!
When is your surgery scheduled for and what have you elected to have if you don't mind me asking?

Last edited:

Bling Babe

Hi Everyone,
I've been lurking on this site for a while now. Everyone is so candid and inspirational. I have finally decided to introduce myself.
I'm Sims (aged 38) and I am just over 9 months into a 12 month tier 3 programme with Spire in Southampton. I've two little ones and initially followed the programme, as suggested by my GP, because I wanted some tools to support my weight loss. I'm 19st 9lbs and 5ft 5 and a bit. WLS always seemed too scary to me and with 2 boys I was (still am) worried that something would go wrong and I wouldn't be able to see my boys grow up.
I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, Hidradenitis Supparativa and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ME.
If you know about any of these conditions you'll know that the quality of life you have as a result is pretty crappy and that they are all conditions that are made worse by excess weight.That said I'm luckier than most. I have a wonderful job, a great partner and obviously my beautiful boys.
My problem is that my life since I was around 17 and started gaining weight has been dictated by food and my weight. There's been so many things I haven't had the confidence/energy to do and I don't want that to be the case anymore. I want to be able to watch my boys grow up and become men, go on a beach holiday, join the girls in the office on shopping trips and not be a burden on my partner as my health conditions worsen because of my weight.
Sooo... I made the decision 6 months into the programme that I would have WLS if that was what was recommended.
I've seen a dietician every month since starting the programme and a psychologist 4 times. I'm at the stage where I will be referred for tier 4 in June 2020.

Since making the decision I've done loads of research, websites, YouTube and asking questions of my dietician.

If given the option I'd probably opt for the bypass as I have had acid reflux in the past and my understanding is that VSG can sometimes exacerbate reflux. Its horrible so no thank you.

Also has anyone had their journey in Southampton and if so how long from referral to tier 4 did you have to wait for surgery day? Now that I've made the decision and it looks like my GP and other health professionals agree I'm eager to start my journey and reclaim my life back from my internal food monster!
Hiya, welcome to the forum, in my opinion you wonā€™t regret having surgery, itā€™s the absolute best thing Iā€™ve ever done, Iā€™m almost 2 years post bypass at Luton and Dunstable (I too had acid reflux so bypass was recommended by my surgeon) I lost over half my body weight (8.5 stone) before my first year surgiversary, Iā€™m healthier, happier and fitter than ever before, Iā€™ve turned into a gym bunny which I would never have dreamt I would do, I have no regrets and Iā€™m sure you wonā€™t either....however...it is also the hardest thing Iā€™ve ever done, those who think itā€™s an easy option simply have no idea whatsoever, the head hunger is the worst, I havenā€™t lost my sweet tooth and every single day is a battle not to give it to my head, if I do cave in and have ā€œa little somethingā€œ sweet itā€™s turns into a disaster because I simply have no ā€œcut offā€ until I feel ill, unfortunately ā€œPercyā€ (my pouch) is far too tolerant of sweet things so I rarely ā€œdumpā€. I could never understand how people who had wls ever gained weight...but now I know, I could literally easily graze all day on high fat/sugar/calorie food and gain weight very easily .
it sounds as if youā€™ve been doing lots of research which is always my main advice..research, research and research some more, you can never have too much information and it helps you to go into this knowing as much as possible what to expect,
keep posting, once you reach 100 Posts you are able to access the bronze diaries which is where a lot of the newer ones are. I wish you lots of luck, ask any question, there is usually someone who can answer, keep us up to date Iā€™m looking forward to following your journey xx

Sim1

Percy!!! that had me chuckling to myself on the bus.
Thank you for your reply. It makes me feel a lot better knowing that others have found happier and healthier lives as a result of WLS. Its difficult at times to remember why i am doing this. especially when people kindly give you their opinion and tell you that - "you should just do it naturally" and ask you with a straight face "Cant you just eat less?"
At times I regret being so open with people about my decision because instead of being supportive (they have afterall seen me struggle with my weight for almost 2 decades) they are quick to judge which results in me second guessing myself or feeling like i am somehow too lazy and lacking willpower.
During these times I have to look at potos of my boys to remind me why.
My research has shown me if anything that this option is probably the hardest of options. it is very all or nothing. Once you have commited and had the surgery you cannot 'change your mind' and eat what you'd like and how much you'd like when you fancy it.
Thank you for @Blingbabe for confirming what my research has already shown me.

speak soon

Sims

Sarnie

Hi Everyone,

Just popping in to say hi and welcome.
You won't regret the surgery, it's normal to feel scared about the actual surgery, I was and nearly talked myself out of it, but on the day I was strangely very calm and afterwards wondered why I was so worried, they really do take good care of you, I had mine at Luton Hospital, I had bypass and had very little surgery pain, the gas pain was the worst, but that soon goes and I've had no complications or problems and I'm 11 months out. Good luck x

Bling Babe

Percy!!! that had me chuckling to myself on the bus.
Thank you for your reply. It makes me feel a lot better knowing that others have found happier and healthier lives as a result of WLS. Its difficult at times to remember why i am doing this. especially when people kindly give you their opinion and tell you that - "you should just do it naturally" and ask you with a straight face "Cant you just eat less?"
At times I regret being so open with people about my decision because instead of being supportive (they have afterall seen me struggle with my weight for almost 2 decades) they are quick to judge which results in me second guessing myself or feeling like i am somehow too lazy and lacking willpower.
During these times I have to look at potos of my boys to remind me why.
My research has shown me if anything that this option is probably the hardest of options. it is very all or nothing. Once you have commited and had the surgery you cannot 'change your mind' and eat what you'd like and how much you'd like when you fancy it.
Thank you for @Blingbabe for confirming what my research has already shown me.

speak soon

Sims
The best response to people who suggest you ā€œjust eat lessā€ is look Them straight in the eye and say very seriously......ā€oh yes, why on earth have I not thought of doing thatā€ then watch them squirm. The only people who truly understand are those who have considered surgery or those who have had it.
your going to be just fine
x

Lalapo

Hi I only joined today, Iā€™m had VGS in Spire Southampton last year. I too have CFS/ME Diabetes High blood pressure and Polycystic Ovarian Disease made it impossible to lose weight. my health was very poor. I was virtually immobile and very young child.

after not losing weight although I lost inches off tummy? I was referred from nhs teir 3 in May 2019 and waited 6 months for operation.

once again after initial pain of trapped gas and tummy heal, I have had no pain sickness or dumping. I can eat sugar alcohol and all foods but not dry foods (6 months post op)

I have lost 5 stones and only 4 stones to go.

surgery doesnā€™t take away head hunger. I learnt I can over eat with a small pouch so I still need willpower to lose weight. Surgery will not take away the head hunger and compulsive eating.

every day I calorie count, plan meals weekly and battle my head daily.

but surgery has made my pouch tiny so I do get full. Without it I couldnā€™t lose weight. Itā€™s a life changer and Spire Southampton are amazing.

you wonā€™t regret it x

Last edited:

Bling Babe

Hi I only joined today, Iā€™m had VGS in Spire Southampton last year. I too have CFS/ME Diabetes High blood pressure and Polycystic Ovarian Disease made it impossible to lose weight. my health was very poor. I was virtually immobile and very young child.

after not losing weight although I lost inches off tummy? I was referred from nhs teir 3 in May 2019 and waited 6 months for operation.

once again after initial pain of trapped gas and tummy heal, I have had no pain sickness or dumping. I can eat sugar alcohol and all foods but not dry foods (6 months post op)

I have lost 5 stones and only 4 stones to go.

surgery doesnā€™t take away head hunger. I learnt I can over eat with a small pouch so I still need willpower to lose weight. Surgery will not take away the head hunger and compulsive eating.

every day I calorie count, plan meals weekly and battle my head daily.

but surgery has made my pouch tiny so I do get full. Without it I couldnā€™t lose weight. Itā€™s a life changer and Spire Southampton are amazing.

you wonā€™t regret it x
Hi
i just wanted to say welcome, keep up the good work, Iā€™ve no regrets but 100% struggle with my head every single day, the best but hardest thing Iā€™ve ever done x