• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

So..the dietician just called..def no vodka!

You're very welcome :)

I don't see the need to swap friends, just tell them you're cutting down. Nobody says a drink once in a while is pure evil but all them calories it's a shame to waste on booze..

Also as someone else said, 'addiction transfer' is a scary thing, and if your partial to a tot anyway......

I think once you get your head round it you will be fine....a lot of young people mistakenly think that its ok to drink large amounts as thats what lots of them do. You will be aware that if you continue to drink lots it will compromise your health and weightloss so you will get your head in the right place and kick the demon drink into touch....just an occasional slurp is fine ;) XX

She is 25 - it's the norm isn't it!? lol

The 25 comment was from me :eek: and if you read my post again you can see it was made in jest :D - I was merely commenting that most 20 somethings are out on the raz a lot - my little sister is 25, works in London and spends a lot of time on the raz - I also used to be 25 (albeit 8 years ago) and I too used to love going out on the raz every other day - not so much now but I still like a night out now and again, as I am sure everyone does - hope I haven't caused offence xx

The 25 comment was from me :eek: and if you read my post again you can see it was made in jest :D - I was merely commenting that most 20 somethings are out on the raz a lot - my little sister is 25, works in London and spends a lot of time on the raz - I also used to be 25 (albeit 8 years ago) and I too used to love going out on the raz every other day - not so much now but I still like a night out now and again, as I am sure everyone does - hope I haven't caused offence xx

No offence to me hun! That pretty much sums it up with my current lifestyle! :D

It's all good, I'll be good ;) xx

Just to throw another thought your way: when I drink (which is much much less now than I used to) I also get the munchies and want to eat!

I'm far more in control of what I eat when i'm not consuming alcohol.

So if you can bring your alcohol consumption down drastically, you can also cut your calorie consumption from food. :)

I used to tell my pobation clients to alternate a soft drink with an alcoholic one. You could stoo go out, but maybe have one shot of vodka and 3 of water with ice and a slice. Nobody but you needs to know what you're drinking. And it may amaze you to know, you can still have fun, even sober! :D

Well done for being honest and getting to grips with the issues.
Grace xxx

I know it may seem like these are trivial things to others but I really want my band to work for me and these are my frustrations :(

Well I guess you have to ask yourself how much you "really" want your band to work for you?

Weight loss surgery is but a weapon in the lifelong struggle against being fat. If you're unable to apply self control where alcohol is concerned then maybe now isn't the right time for you. If you can then the occasional drink should be ok

I've seen and read of people very soon out from surgery getting legless on alcohol and I have to ask myself why did they bother going through it?

Moderate drinking is fine although most surgeons will tell you to wait six to twelve months, but I've read one person posting of getting drunk just a few short weeks out from a bypass :sigh:

There are usually no requirements to abstain from alcohol with a band Mixxy ;)

Unless you're really serious about losing the maximum amount of weight you mean Mazza LOL

Well I guess you have to ask yourself how much you "really" want your band to work for you?

i do "really" want my band to work for me which is why I'm facing up to it all..today was the first time I had spoken to my actual dietician and worked out how how much it will impact me and in what ways;in my consultation I was told i could drink after two weeks but just to be careful as alcohol slips through the band so i will still get the calories and the low blood sugar cravings that always follow. Obviously I've clarified this with my dietician today, and he's given me some greats bits of advice etc that I can use and do.

I didn't get to this point and get this far and find the finance in order to piss it up the wall. Excuse my french! Just wanted to express how i felt earlier..we all get a little freaked sometimes.

i do "really" want my band to work for me which is why I'm facing up to it all..today was the first time I had spoken to my actual dietician and worked out how how much it will impact me and in what ways;in my consultation I was told i could drink after two weeks but just to be careful as alcohol slips through the band so i will still get the calories and the low blood sugar cravings that always follow. Obviously I've clarified this with my dietician today, and he's given me some greats bits of advice etc that I can use and do.

I didn't get to this point and get this far and find the finance in order to piss it up the wall. Excuse my french! Just wanted to express how i felt earlier..we all get a little freaked sometimes.

Good luck with it, keep us posted

Unless you're really serious about losing the maximum amount of weight you mean Mazza LOL

No - I meant just as I said there are no medical requirements with a band to do so. Of course alcohol is empty calories but there is no reason why with a band you cant enjoy the odd glass or two.

Bypassed patients absorb alcohol upto 4 times quicker than non bypassed - plus there is the added risk of dumping, so its understandable that you are advised not to drink for 6 to 12 months. In fact I would be too scared to try it if I was a bypasser :eek:

Well done on being honest and recognising the changes that you will need to make. Far better to face up to what is required than wait til you have had it done and bury your head in the sand. I think you will be sensible and work with the band and it is a great tool when you make the changes to your diet and life. I have been so pleased with mine and I wish you every success
loads of love
Jo XX

Im in the same boat im 22, go out clubbin or to the pub every sat and binge drink, god nos how much but i know its alot. My first thought when decided to go ahead with the band is what am i going to do on a sat nite. But ive done it before and i will have a couple and thats it or drive i guess then i cnt get tempted! Its still not the same when all ur mates are drinking and ur not.

Think this will be my struggle as well!

but I've read one person posting of getting drunk just a few short weeks out from a bypass :sigh:

hands up its probably me Karlos is refering too, if not then i appoligise to Karl now, i have nothing to hide thats why ive spoken out on the recent threads regarding alcohol and wls, if any 1 has any thing to ask about this id be happy to publicly answer there questions on this subject.

Last edited:
well i drink

well i will 2nd that with liz !!! im also a bypass 17month post op and a quite a vodka drinker ... and redwine drinker .... i have always liked a drink and always will its the only way i get fluds in me really... im up to date on ways to eat and whats good and whats bad however i have drank since 3 months post op and never been an issue to me i have never gained a pound and i drink all kinds from oj to red bull in my vodka and lots of dinner partys and wine .. so i dont find it an issue !!!!! but as i tell everyone we are not all the same and just cause we get the scare tactics before this operation its isnt all to be took to heart and mind !! we at the end of the day are all human and this is a tool for us to use to make our lifes better and im a size 32 w from a 44 and a size meduim top from 6al !!!!! and i enjoy life to the full ..... soso heres my glass liz and cheers xxxx
hands up its probably me Karlos is refering too, if not then i appoligise to Karl now, i have nothing to hide thats why ive spoken out on the recent threads regarding alcohol and wls, if any 1 has any thing to ask about this id be happy to publicly answer there questions on this subject.

well i will 2nd that with liz !!! im also a bypass 17month post op and a quite a vodka drinker ... and redwine drinker .... i have always liked a drink and always will its the only way i get fluds in me really... im up to date on ways to eat and whats good and whats bad however i have drank since 3 months post op and never been an issue to me i have never gained a pound and i drink all kinds from oj to red bull in my vodka and lots of dinner partys and wine .. so i dont find it an issue !!!!! but as i tell everyone we are not all the same and just cause we get the scare tactics before this operation its isnt all to be took to heart and mind !! we at the end of the day are all human and this is a tool for us to use to make our lifes better and im a size 32 w from a 44 and a size meduim top from 6al !!!!! and i enjoy life to the full ..... soso heres my glass liz and cheers xxxx

CHEERS !!!! nice to see you posting here again Brett x

Last edited:
I'm going to have gastric bypass, pre op appointment is tomorrow. I was, until new years day, drinking the equivalant in calories too. ( 3-4 shots of whisky in a 2 litre bottle of caffine free diet coke per evening plus extra over the weekend) I'm 32 and the thought of not drinking for the next 4 months and not occasionaly 'binge drinking' is almost inconceivable. (What I was drinking you could barely even taste and it certainly didn't 'affect' me)
With a bypass and as you become smaller i'm told your alchoholic tolerance plummets and drinking has been a part of my life since college. Scary!
When I say drinking is a part of my life, I mean in a none alchie way. As Leonie said maybe it's a London thing (most of my family in Southampton couldn't concieve drinking a bottle of wine to themselves or more than 3 drinks on a night out).
For the time being i'm doing really well but the long term prospect is daunting and I know that being slimmer will far outway anything else.
Leonie, I hope that you find as I have over he past 12 evenings that it's not as hard as you think, strange maybe, but not impossible. In saying that I'll be thinking of you on your holiday!!!

Leonie, I hope that you find as I have over he past 12 evenings that it's not as hard as you think, strange maybe, but not impossible. In saying that I'll be thinking of you on your holiday!!!
:D Thanks! My mums a bypasser so I'm sure even if I'm overly tempted she will reign me in in the only way mothers know how!! :D x

you just have to keep in mind all the empty calories you are consuming when you drink....these are not contributing anything healthy to the NEW you.

best of luck...I'm sure you will be fine :)

Back