• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

So Undecided is this normal ?

nobbey

Hi freinds, Im very new here but am really looking for people in a similar boat as I, I have been pretty much overweight all my life, have been on many many diets, including the slimming pills once.
But last year I managed to let myself get to 23 stone the heaviest ive ever been! God was i in a state, I had sleap apnea very bad 76 x per hr apparentley, Ive been on blood pressure tablets for the last 10 years and havent been able to walk more than 100 yards without taking a breather.
After breaking down in front of my GP last October I was refered to the baratric team at UCH hospital London, however my GP told me I have to lose weight before hand, Well I have managed to lose 3 stone by eating sensible and some limited exercise and the major factor being that i have given up drinking beer, I had been on 6 to 7 pints a night every night, now i really dont care for it at all.
So now im 20 stone and feeling a lot better, my sleap Apnea is down to 20 per hour (they still want me to use the machine however i cant tolerate it at all) im still on BP tabs but feeling a lot better.
Now the dilemma, They are willing to go ahead with the Op which is a Gastric sleeve but im really not sure its the right thing to do, although i know its gonna be the healthier option in the long run is it really for me, im scared that somthing may go wrong during the op, and many other issues like will fast weight loss suit me, i drink a lot of fluids at the moment and have been told by others i will be unable to after the op, Shall I try and lose more weight the old fashion way or go with the surgery?

This is a question which I guess is as old as the surgery itself . . . firstly, the decision must be yours and yours alone – you should research the different types of surgery available to you and make an informed decision . . . this includes looking carefully at surgery providers as some will want to talk you into that which they provide. There are undoubtedly many benefits to having the surgery equally it does have its down sides too. If I had been able to control my weight by modifying my eating / exercise habits then that would have been my preferred route . . . however, the problem for me was that I would soon put the weight back on (despite the best intentions). My decision was perhaps harder than some others as I was in very good health and expected to foot the rather large bill myself! I don’t think there is the same stigma attached to having surgery as there once was but as I said earlier the decision must be yours – take into account your health and mental well being, previous experiences and alike – don’t be afraid to ask questions on here (there are not that frightening a bunch as they look!) ask you team, your GP and talk it over with loved ones . . .

Last edited:
Firstly a huge congratulations on the weight loss so far and a big welcome to the forum.

We all have those thoughts of whether it is right for us or not, I am due to have my operation in less than 3 weeks time, and to be honest I don't have any worries or concerns.

In my opinion there is two ways of looking at it. 1. If I don't have the surgery how long will it be till I have a heart attack or get diabetes, I already have a DVT, High Blood Pressure and Sleep Apnea, so what else will I get!

On the other hand, its been 7 months of hard work that has got me this far, although there are risks to the operation, in my opinion, there are so more risks if I don't have it, and the pro's are by xmas this year I should look and feel completely different for myself and all my family and friends. For me to be able to buy clothes of the peg in the shops will be amazing.

And more than that to be able to take the kids out for a bike ride and for them to ask me to stop for a breather instead of the other way round lol

What you are worried about is only natural.

You have found a great place here, for support and experience, use it to your advantage.

howdy nobbey and welcome to the forum :D

i just knew that i didnt have what it took, to loose weight and the most important bit, keep it off. Ive been overweight since i was about 12, and every year it just kept getting worse. Last year i just got so low about it all and felt this was my only way out (so to speak!).

I had to pay for my surgery because i wasnt fat enough (over 18stones) or ill enough - go figure!

I had a sleeve on the 8th February and so far my journey has been pretty smooth! I love my sleeve, its helped me loose 4 stone so far. I feel healthy, energetic and well vibrant (sounds cheesy but its troo!!!)

Ive blogged my experience with the sleeve (my story so far) if you want to take a read.

Good luck on whatever path you choose x

First of all welcome to the forum, it is a fantastic place for a well rounded view of WLS and for genuine accounts of how it has been, rather than that presented by the glossy brochures.

Secondly, 3 stone is an amazing weightloss. Doing it the old fashioned way is great, but with a lot to lose it will be a very long process and with only willpower to rely on to stop you going back. I have lost all my weight before and put it on, more than once and it is soul destroying. You have done the right thing seeking medical advice and i would urge you to spend time on here looking at the sleeve forums and speaking to those who have had it as well as doing independant research online.

Everyone I have spoken to without exception, including a close friend, say that it has changed their life. You will have to adapt, there is no doubt, but working with the sleeve will bring positive results. The choice is yours but please take advantage of the many and supportive people on here who will only be too happy to help. I am two days post band surgery and had all the same doubts as you, but already feeling well and glad I did it. This is be beginning of the new me. xxx

Hi Nobby and welcome...

You are currently in the same place most of us have been or are currently at in our lives...

You have a lot of thinking to do and also a lot of question asking, you are in the right place for both....

Most of us had health issues before deciding to go for surgery. With me it was diabetes and the fact i was too flipping knackered to do anything, or want to do anything...

I had a gastric bypass a year ago tomorrow it is my surgiversary and up to now am 5 stone 5 1/2lb down. It has not been a fast loss you describe, far from it when you compare to others, and its well known i am currently a member of weight watchers to get the rest of my weight off... Without my bypass i could never have stuck to the w/w plan and lose the amount of weight my bypass helped me lose and obviously my capacity to eat is greatly inhibited now...

Aside from weight loss, my life has changed completely. I no longer worry if i want to do something that if i don't do it soon i'll be too tired, far from it. I have an abundance of energy and am taking life by the horns....

Anyhow, enough about me. Use your chance to ask your questions, but in the meantime ask yourself this...

Can you sustain your current diet till you lose the rest of your excess weight?

Back