• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Is this normal?

FEDup1981

I WILL look like this!!
Maybe points of TMI for some!

Ok so had the op on tues evening, and im still in pain. All over my stomach, but a lot from the left side where my biggest wound is.
I struggle to get out of the chair, and i can hardly walk. When im walking, i have to hold my stomach, so that it doesnt hang, otherwise it feels like its pulling the wound, and my insides. And i get sharp pains. It still hurts to lay flat, and on my sides.
I cant work out when im eating if the pain is from eating or from the surgery iykwim.
I dont have any appetite, just eating to survive.
To top it off, my period has arrived 11 days early - stress?
And ive got a small amount of discharge on one of my dressings that wasnt there yesterday. And im full of wind i cant get rid of.
I just feel sh!t, please tell me its normal! Other people never seem to mention the pain, hence the reason i never expected as much!
:sick: :giveup:

Sorry to hear your feeling so rubbish, Im a pre op bander so cant offer any advice but hope you start to feel better soon. Dont try to do too much too soon x

ok first of all the discharge, if its blood then yes its normal to lose a little if its not blood get it checked out, you cannot afford an infection at this time, and antibiotics will need to be perscribed asap.

Laying down was a problem for me for over a week, i was only able to lie on my back, propped up by loads of pillows.

your tummy is still swollen so its not surprising your in some pain, but if they are still sharp it might be worthwile getting the nurse to look at you especially with the weeping wound.

Oh babe sorry you feel so rough:(

I had a band fitted and your description other than the wound discharge sounds exactly how I felt too.....I could not sleep laying down for over a week...was propped up on pillows so was 3/4 sitting up. The wind I had too....I had Gripewater and peppermint tea (the tea is not wonderful tasting but it really seemed to help so I kept with it) I also found a hot water bottle very comforting as it seemed to relax my tummy quite a bit.

The pain I had from my band I likened to being trampled and rolled on by a horse....no body really says about how much it hurts and one pre-oppper asked me the day I came home and I was very honest as I think its scary when your just not sure....you start to wonder if somthings wrong dont you.....Im sure you will be fine tho....whats the discharge like? are you private or NHS and do you have a local out of hours Drs you can visit/ If you do have one and your still worried tomorrow pop along and get them to check it....if its gets sore tho and you start to feel fluy or headachy go down to A&E to get it checked...not saying this to scare you just want you to be safe xxxxxxxxx

hi there, oh dear what we going to do with you??? I'm so sorry you're feeling this much pain. Are your pain killers enough or do you think you need something a little stronger?? I hope you start feeling better soon. HUGE HUGS xx Gaynor xx

i think the discharge is fluid rather than blood cos the stain on the dressing looks watery iykwim. Il see what its like 2moro.

Im glad that its normal to feel the pain this bad. Nobody seems to talk about the pain of the surgery, and i honestly thought id be walking out of hospital feeling normal-ish.

My hubby is due back in work on tues, leaving me to look after our 3yr old son. I still cant bend, couldnt get down to do a nappy or pick something up. Im dreading it already, do u think it might be an idea to take a couple more days off?

Gaynor im on cocodomal, tramadol, and nefopam. That is quite a lot of pain killers, so i doubt they'd give me anything else. Next would be morphine?! And im taking them all day, but still uncomfortable, never pain free.

Fed up get the wound checked and ask for an extension on your sick note at the same time. you will more than likely need more than the 2 weeks off, looking after little ones is going to tire you out very quickly, so if you have someone that can come look after then for a few hours a day i would try that as well.

maybe an extra day or 2 would be good if he possibly can....its hard enough running around after toddlers when your feeling good let alone when its very sore and your energy is low...what painkillers are you on babe?

i dont work tendersage - it was hubby i was talking about. Think he might need to take another day or two.

Wanda im taking tramadol, nefopam and co-codomal. I think if im still not any more comfortable by monday i will get an emergency GP app. Im the kind of person who will worry worry worry about small things, but im ok once im told its normal or ok!

Hiya fedup, the pain on the left, is where most of the work is done, ie the staples across your pouch and one of the joins to your bowel. I'm 8wks post op and still have twinges all around there. Give it two wks and you will feel loads better chucks. Take care and take it easy, you,ve just had a major op. x

Thanks everyone. Glad you all think its normal post op pain. Im gonna change the dressing on the leaking one, and if theres anything that doesnt look quite right ill be off to the docs.

Ahhh LOL mixed that one up, alternative is to get a member of the family to come in and help, i had my brother and his partner here for a few days after my 2nd visit to hospital, could you not do the same?

only got my hubbys mum to help, and shes 71. So although she helps out loads, its too much for her all the time. Ill see how i go, i might have a miraculous recovery and be well by tues!! I wish! xxxx

keep smiling

Keep happy...seems its normal, your right nobody seems to speak of the pain but those who have been through it all say it wont last long...

good luck....its great everyone is here for you....

Hi,

I had a bit of discharge from one of my wounds, was told it was ok and you sometimes get a bit of fluid building up under the incision and movement can make this leak. This was only a small (20p size) bit of discharge on the dressing though.

With the pain, compared to what I felt, no it's not normal. That is a lot of painkillers! I didn't need any painkillers once I was home, and only had paracetemol for the last 24 hours in hospital. I didn't have any wind pain though, but it sounds as if your pain if more than just wind.

I would say if you're still feeling like this Monday, then contact the ward that discharged you for advice, or go to your GP. If it gets worse, contact someone sooner.

ok thanks shell. I think its a lot too, but everyone has different experiences, so knowing me, im likely to be extreme!!!
Im like a lil old woman trying to hobble about. If i go upstairs to the toilet and back im knackered. Ill see what im like on monday .

Thanks all xxx

everyone has different pain levels i had band was bllody painfull first day i took everything they gave me and the woman i was in with was bypassed and didnt have anything at all was freaky so if it hurts for you and your dosed up get something stronger hope you feel better soon xx

so sorry you are suffering, im pre-op so im sorry i cant help but hope you feeling better soon xx

Back