• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Not sure how to start_ bypass

Just come back from the doctors.
I started by telling her my life long struggle with my weight and hath way through she stopped me and said and I quote " what do you want me to do about it" so I said I'd like to be referred for weight loss surgery and she then said " why didn't you just say that" then she began to say I was being referred and the 1st steep is being referred to something called a better medway.
Just need to sit and wait to see what it's all about, it looked at there site but I need to do a bit more research.
Anyone else been referred to a better medway?

Don't know what it is exactly but sounds like might be a tier 3 programme - if so, you should probably be ok to be referred straight to surgery in line with nice regulations based on BMI. However, best to find out exactly what it is first before questioning that!
Well done on taking that step and speaking to your GP!

From what I can find out they are the people that say what happens next, think I'll have an appointment with them to go over how my weight effects me and what is done to lose weight ect then they decide what tier ect I go on

Tipping the balance come under the healthy eating section on the a better medway website.
Dose anyone know how long it takes to get an appointment after a gp referral?

I'm glad the appointment went well. Well you got the referral you need even if the GP sounds a little blunt :) As for how long you'll wait for an appointment I'm not sure. Like everything else I think we all have different experiences but hopefully it won't be long. You're on your way to surgery now fingers crossed :)

What Fee said. Well done for taking that step and getting things moving. :)

Hi taz been reading your posts well done for getting this far....it's exciting isn't it. I can only speak from personal situation . I am in East Sussex and went to see my gp in April 2015 after much research and diliberation on weight loss surgery...he agreed almost straight away to refer me and said he would to St Thomas in London I think it was but I asked if he could refer me to St Richard's in Chichester as I'd heard amazing things about them and on reading up its the centre of excellence also easier for me to travel to and from ...took a year to get my MDT appointment which is where you meet the whole team and discuss what you want and what they feel is best for you .. you meet an anetheist a general GP the bariatric nurse dietitian and then the surgeon who will decide if your approved and what type of surgery is best for you..I'm having a roux N Y Gastric bypass. Prior to the MDT meeting I had several long forms to complete detailing past weight loss food diary and lots of physiological questions on feelings etc and also a psychological anylasis. I was told at MDT that I would be put on waiting list which was 6 months that would have bought me to Oct 2016 and this week I had a call from them to tell me my surgery date is 28th Sept 2016 !!! So not long now .. hope this information helps I have BMI of over 50 so I an assuming that I didn't have to do the tier meetings also there isn't that facility near me the nearest one is in Chichester which is nearly 3 hrs drive away so I was told to join a support group online hence why I am here and it's amazing help.....good luck with everything you've started the journey which is fantastic xx

Back