• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Not sure how to start_ bypass

Tazrok

Hi all.
It's taken me about 4 weeks to build up the courage just to write this so please bear with me.

My name is Taz and I'm from medway in kent, I'm male 33, 5 feet 11 inch and weigh 27 stone 11 pounds, (bmi just over 54).
From the age of 8 I was classed as overweight and from the age of 10 onwards morbidly obese.
Iv tried so many diets that haven't works just like so many other people.
I suffer a few mental health problems that have been brought on from being overweight ( depression, paranoia, social anxiety, agoraphobia).
When I was in my mid 20s I was working as a builder and was quiet active despite my size, I was going to the gym 3 nights a week doing alot of cardiovascular workouts then 1 night a week swimming and 1 night of Bebington, and eating all the healthy food the dietitian said to eat and I did all this for 6 months and I still didn't lose weight.
Every time I fail at losing weight it feels like a huge let down.
Iv gotten to the stage now we're I can feel myself dieing and every day tasks are getting harder and harder for me to do.
After alot of research I now know I really want WLS (gastric bypass) to help aid my weight lose.
Iv just started saving the money for the op and I have along way to go but it will give me more time to do some more Reading on WLS.
£10,000 seems like alot to save but I think it will be worth it and as I'm unable to work due to my size saving the momey is even harder.
I have been thinking about seeing my doctor for a referral but that worrys me as I have no luck with my doctor in regards to my weight and from everything I read they seem to send to to support groups and stuff like that and with the social anxiety that's very hard for me to do.
Plus I have no idea what to say to my doctor to get him to refer me lol.
Well I think iv typed enough for now lol.
Thank you for taking the time to read this

Hello and welcome :) well done for posting and please know that we do understand and you are among friends here.
Is it worth just telling the GP you'd like to be referred? My GP had supervised me on various diets and taking orlistat and knew nothing bad worked. Because your BMI is over 50 that might mean you will have a shorter time working towards referral. If your quality of life and ability to remain independent and work are being affected along with you mental health that sounds like good reasons to me. You are not alone in struggling with mental illness too. Try and tell them your concerns about attending appointments etc. You won't be the first person with these struggles and I hope they would be able to work with you on this.

The worst that can happen is either the GP says no or he says yes but the pathway to WLS feels undoable. If that's the case you are already saving up for the private route so you've not lost anything. It sounds like you've tried really hard to help yourself for so long now x

Hi and welcome. You don't have anything to loose by talking to your GP. If the GP is not of any help then you can look into going in Pvt. It might be worth your while looking at the guidelines of WLS referral. Good luck with your journey.

Hi Taz
Hello and welcome to an amazing support group .. There is always someone on here who has the answers to what you ask .. We've all walked the weight loss road your on , so your not alone ..
Yes the money sounds a lot , but what price can you put on your health and happiness .. I bet it's worth more than £10,000 ? have you thought about applying for one of the loans they advertise in those weight loss sites ? Or maybe the bank .. I was lucky and my family donated to my cause and I did t have to save up to much to find the rest .. I actually sold my beloved sewing machine to raise over a £1000 of it ..
Car boots sales is another good way to raise money ..
I do not regret surgery in the slightest , I regret not having it done sooner and wasting so many years being fat,miserable , moody and unhealthy ..
Like suggested above , go to your GP .. And go in there meaning business .. Don't take no for an answer ..
Xxxx

Thank you for the warm welcome all.
I will be ringing the doctors up first thing Monday morning to make an appointment, and arming myself with as much info as possible just in case the doctor woke up on the wrong side of the bed lol.
As far as getting a loan or finance that's very hard as I'm unemployed and I no longer have anything to do with my family so that option is out the window

Hi Taz welcome to the group!

Do you know where your local bariatric centre is? Do you know if they have a support group for wls? Most areas seem to have them I think.

I was worried about speaking to my GP but they were really supportive because they knew I had tried to lose weight and had problems maintaining those loses. However, they didn't know the process so it took some detection work from me to ensure my referral found its way to the right person.

If you can identify your local centre for Wls and then a surgeon you could contact their secretary and find out how things work. Also worth looking up the NICE guidelines - for your BMI you should get a referral for surgery (tier 4)without doing tier 3 (supported weight loss)

Once you have these guidelines you could take the info with you to your GP.

Good luck!

@Tazrok
Hello, And welcome to the forum
I've not been a member that long, but the people I've chatted to on here, so far are fab, really supporting and encouraging, I to suffer from social anxiety, And have been in the 'obese' category since about 9 years old. And, I'm pretty sure...their will be others on here too, that have similar stories to tell. It's extremely lonely, when you have social anxiety...as , as much as you want to go out and be sociable ....sometimes it's too hard.
I always say, for me...its like been in a large glass cube, just me in...im happy...but on the other hand...im banging on the glass for people to wave at me, but know one hears me, because i can't/don't want to, get out of the glass cube.
It's was so hard, growing up been an obese teenager. And in the 80's and 90's there wearn't that many fat kids/teenagers around...never mind obese people, So i stood out for all the wrong reasons.
I agree with what the others say though, you should go see your Gp, you never know, he may listen if you keep going back ( kind of, pestering him...til he takes notice)
Well, ..well done for writing ...and posting, this is the first step in the right direction.
Good Luck.
Regards,
Toni :rainbow:

I have no clue about my local bariatric centre iv done some searching but can't seem to find what I'm looking for
Maybe Rochester in kent is a dead spot lol

Yes and as you say arm yourself with as much information as possible :)

Hi and welcome. I hope research will give you some ideas but you have to be straight forward and to the point in telling your gp about how being overweight makes you feel, how you have tried over the years to loose weight unsuccessfully and how you now think bariatric surgery is your last hope and would like him/her tor refer you. With your BMI and mental health issues, you should qualify and as the others said, if your gp is not corporative, perhaps find out which hospital offers the surgery and call them direct for advice. Good luck going forward.

Hello newbie, you are a newbie and look,already booked a meet up with your gp and saving up at the same time! Your doing so well like you said go into your meeting armed with info a good gp likes that's shows them your serious as for the saving I say carry on hoping that you get the go ahead on the NHS and then the savings you have can go to your new bid and tuck/ holiday!
Good luck in everything

I'd love to get the op done on NHS then carry on saving to have the lose skin chopped of lol.
Im trying to find a way to get a referral of some sort other then through my gp just in case things don't go as planed.
I easily meet all the N. I. C. E requirements for the op so maybe contacting them could help

Wouldn't it be good if we could say , pay half and the NHS pay half ..

O yes that would be nice lol.
It's going to take me close to 2 years to save the money and cutting that time in hath would be brill.
Some days when things get bad I begin to wonder if I'll still be alive by the time it saved up.
Defo not a nice when you can feel your self dieing and can't do much about it

I'm so sorry you feel that way. Please include that in your appointment with the GP x

I will do mate, I really can't see any reason why he wouldn't give me a referral other the his own person opinions on it

Well if that does happen and I really hope it doesn't, ask to see a different doctor. They're allowed their opinions of course but it shouldn't stop you accessing the treatment you need :)

Hi and welcome x I went the NHS route. I started my journey in Sep 2014 and have jumped through all the various hoops they ask for and finally I am booked in for August the 16th. Dont let your doctor fob you off they have to follow the guidelines to refer you. Find out from your local NHS where is your local centre for the tier 3 and four and go armed with the info for your doctor. Good Luck

Back