• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Soft foods

Shepards pie, fish pie, casseroles, lasagne Bolognaise, chilli con carne etc. soft food is anything you can add gravy/sauce to and mash easily with the back of a fork :)

I found I could eat rice on the soft stage if it was well cooked, and had plenty of sauce. I found it easier at this stage to buy prepacked low cal meals from Waitrose/m&s, as they were the same prices as tesco/morrisons but tasted better.

I found I could eat rice on the soft stage if it was well cooked, and had plenty of sauce. I found it easier at this stage to buy prepacked low cal meals from Waitrose/m&s, as they were the same prices as tesco/morrisons but tasted better.

Thank you. Looking forward to this stage. All going well I'll be in solid food next week :D xx

Check your providers guidelines, some say you are ok with pasta and rice in small amounts/in sauces ... But other providers advise you not to eat pasta and rice. Luckily my provider allow most things in small amounts as you progress through the stages. Happy days :) my first soft meal was mashed potato mushy peas and gravy ... Heaven x

Check your providers guidelines, some say you are ok with pasta and rice in small amounts/in sauces ... But other providers advise you not to eat pasta and rice. Luckily my provider allow most things in small amounts as you progress through the stages. Happy days :) my first soft meal was mashed potato mushy peas and gravy ... Heaven x

Just checked with my provider and no pasta or rice just yet.

Thank you xx

Your time will come ... :)

Suggestions for mashed stages (provider depending as all of these things are ok with mine)

- Breakfast cereals such as porridge, ready brek, Weetabix
- Stewed fruit, low fat custards
- Low fat rice pudding
- Low fat mousse
- Thicker yoghurts
- Smoothies made with fruits and milks
- mashed banana
- Inch slice of very ripe melon
- Peel a banana, wrap in tin foil and freeze, you can then eat it like an ice lolly but when you chew it, it turns to mash. Gives you something harder to bite/chew on, but fits in with mashed stage food.
- NAS jelly with yoghurt or custard topping
- Fish pie
- Flaked white fish or tuna – mix it with quark
- Ratatouille (Tescos do a tin which is great with fish flaked into it)
- Scrambled eggs (some banders struggle with eggs so go steady!)
- Lean minced meats such as turkey, beef or quorn, make it into a cottage pie topped with mash or if you’re limiting carbs you can top it with mashed swede, carrots, parsnips
- Mashed cooked vegetables, mushy peas
- Cheesy mashed potato or inside of a jacket potato (no skin!) mixed with mashed baked beans
- Supermarkets do great pre-packed meals with fish pie or cottage pie which are great in terms of portion size and tend to be well sauced.
- Fish in butter or parsley sauce
- Plain poached salmon or cod
- Cauliflower cheese
- Make a vegetable stew and mash it down
- Soft or runny scrambled eggs
- Soft mashed pasta
- Mashed corned beef (mashes better from a tin than what you get in slices) but ok in mashed potato.

Yummy ideas Kat...I now have a fancy for mashed corned beef with brown pickle - yum yum bubble gum....another idea for work lunch x

Last edited:
Back