• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

some random questions ...

Ines4C

So, for those of you who don't know, I am originally from Germany. And German hospitals are very, very different from British hospitals because they do not have wards, but rooms you share with one or two people but not more. So, since I have never experienced being on a ward, I have a few questions.
- obviously the light has to stay on at night so the nurses can see, right? I can't sleep well when it's light ... do the curtains make it dark enough?
- How loud is it usually at night?
- How far are toilets from the bed? I'm aware that depends where they put you but, if I ring the buzzer and they can't come to me straight away, how far do I have to go?
- Are people with different conditions on the same ward?
- Are there any plugs by the bed for my phone charger and possibly my sleep apnea mask?

I know that's quite a few questions but obviously as I am planning and preparing for next month, these questions just come up. I have only been once in a hospital during my life, and that was in Germany, so it's all very new to me.

thanks for reading.

Ines X

Wards vary greatly from hospital to hospital. These days its mostly rooms called bays, which have 4-6 beds. Sometimes you may be nursed in a side room which is single occupancy. There will be a toilet in each bay, it should be no more than about 20 paces. The lights go off a night so you can sleep. each bed will have an overhead lamp so the nurses can see individual patients when necessary. While you are being observed the curtains will not be closed. There will be plenty of electric sockets by the bed. You will need to ask your team if there will be people with other conditions in your bay. Personally, where I was treated it was a dedicated bay. And where I work we only nurse patients with one condition - but it is VERY different situation.

My hospital had beds in bays, but there wasn't a toilet in each bay there were toilets in the main corridor .
I had six beds in my bay and three of us had had WLS the rest had other operations.
My hospital was VERY noisy. I took ear plugs and I needed them!!
There are loads of sockets, but usually no where to secure valuable items, so think about what you take in with you particularly if you can't secure things while you are having your op.

Good luck

So would it be advisable to take my sleep apnoea mask? And thanks for your answers. Really helps.

The hospital I went to insisted on me taking my CPAP machine & mask and made sure I used it every night. I felt as though I needed it too.

I haven't had my weight loss surgery yet but other times I have been in hospital for surgery I have experienced:

The lights being on all night - the curtains are not high enough or thick enough to cut out noise and light
Constant noise on the ward - all through the night
Being woken up regularly to take vitals/give meds/change drip etc
In a mixed sex ward with several bays - I tried to argue with the nurses to have my curtains closed for privacy but they said I had to have them open most of the time
Toilets were a short walk away at the entrance to the ward
There were patients with different conditions on a ward
There were sockets near your bed for electrical supply etc

I am a very light sleeper and barely slept at all so by the time I get home I am usually very tired and very grumpy and desperately longing for my own bed and peace and quiet! x

While, so it is very different from hospital to hospital. I usually sleep well, so I hope it should be okay. Yes I assumed I would have two take the sleep apnoea machine but wanted to make sure I would have a plug by the bed. Again, thanks for all your replies.

In the bay I was in the lights were only dimmed, not off completely, so once your eyes had adjusted to the low light it was as if the lights where still on. I slept with my towel over my head the first night - which was before my op.

After the op, I was woken every two hours for blood sugar/bp readings; then drips changed in between these tests, etc so didn't get chance to sleep much. There's also noise from other patients and the nursing staff going about their duties. It would definitely help taking earplugs and an eye mask - but like I said they wake you up all the time to do tests.

i took my sleep apnea machine and to be hnest it shuts all other noise out so i slept well lol and didnt keep everyone awake with my snoring x

All NHS have amenity beds which are in effect private hospital rooms where you pay for the room but not for the medical services. They are in limited supply so not always available. Costs may vary from area to area but here in Harrogate they charge (I think) about £80 per night.

That's what I thought, I do snores so it would be best to take the mask. As for a private room, I can't afford that, but nevermind, will make the best of it. Thank you so much for all your replies.

Back