• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sorry, but it's been a bad time

Priesty

HI,

Sorry I haven't been on much at all over the last couple of weeks. There are toooo many posts for me to catch up on im afraid.

My Nan passed away yesterday after a long battle with cancer. I hadn't seen her since the week before my op.

I am also struggling big time with things since my op. I am stalling too the point of being ridiculous. I have stayed the same now for 3 weeks.

I am eating relatively well and have either a banana or small bowl of cereal (shredded wheat fruitful about 5 with a bit of the fruit) for breakfast. I have either a bit of weight watchers soup, or a slice of bread with a bit of ham for lunch. and for dinner I try and have meat (about 1 - 2 small slices) with a bit of potato and some veg.

I have a couple of rich tea biscuits with a cup of tea in the evening sometimes if I haven't had much too eat and have no extras or deserts.

I chew really well and eat as slowly as possible. I dont eat and drink togther (at mealtimes) and drink mainly tea during the day.

I know a lot of you say about protein shakes etc but St Richards suggest that you eat a balanced diet and take a multivit each day. I am starting too be more active now and am trying to get out and walk each day or clean a room or somthing to get busy.

Am I really doing anything seriously wrong?? I just feel at the moment that it's all been for nothing and with everything else I just feel really down about things. I am due to go back on the 20th but im not sure now when the funeral will be so I may have to re-schedule.

Anyway I hope you are all well, take care

Paula XX

Hi Paula,

Please accept my deepest sympathy on the loss of your Nan:hug99:

I am very sorry to hear that you are struggling and that your weight has plateaued which can be very frustrating.

Good to hear that you are getting more active as that will help overall and may well help to kick-start your weight loss...

Sorry I am not able to advise as I have no experience, but I will highlight your post in mods and in the meantime hopefully some of our members will be able to help you out.

Hi Paula sorry to hear about your nan. You seem to be doing fine eating wise, i had a stall for 3wks not long after my op i think it's the body going into starvation mode so it holds on to what it can but trust me this will past however annoying it is and the lbs will start to fall off. I've never bothered with the protein shakes and ive lost 9 stone 5lb in 11 months and all my bloods have been fine and i feel great. Take care and the results WILL start to happen xxx

Hi Paula - please don't worry about the stall when I was in hospital (had a few problems) I gained 50lbs and I was soooooooo upset. I couldn't believe I had gained that weight. After a month in hospital I left and I have never looked back I have lost 94lbs plus the 50lbs that I gained. I don't count this extra 50 in my weight loss as I go by my weight before surgery - but the fact is I gained all that weight. You will lose weight so don't worry - it must just take some people a little longer after surgery - but it will happen. I look forward to reading about your future success and send you (((((hugs))))) to get through this sticky time x

Last edited:
hy sorry for your loss.
my weight has come of slowly and staved the same some weeks but i was told this is normal everyone losses diferently some fast at first then slower and some the other way round and some just slow and steady so keep doin wat you are and it will come right................kath x

So sorry about your Nan, Please dont be too hard on yourself, you have done really well and everyone looses at their own rate. x

sorry about your Nan. Grief is incredibly hard on everyone. Be kind to yourself. The weight loss will come! Do you measure yourself or have an item of clothing that was/is too small. Judge yourself on this as well as those pesky scales!

So so sorry for your loss xx
The only real thing I can advise is to stop the biscuits and replace them with a high protein snack instead, something like a low fat cheese triangle or a cheese slice rolled up, maybe a childs fromage frai, just something higher in protein, maybe even a cream cracker with some cream cheese.
I just didnt see many things that are high in protein.
Could you change one or two of your cups of tea for warm milk or a latte coffee or even a low fat/low sugar hot chocolate?
If your stomach can tolerate eggs then maybe make a small omellette for breakfast or maybe even just mash one up with a little low fat spread.
Basically, more protein will likely help you.
Early stalls are quite common, I hit one after my op and I felt wretched for it, eating more (but high protein foods) helped me kick the stall.
Also, I was curious about probiotics and apparantley they can help weight loss post op and so I now have a plain Actimel (low sugar because no flavour) every day and I have only 'stalled' for one week since I started having one daily, dont know if this could help you too.
Again, so so sorry for your loss xx
Steph xx

Oh Paula so sorry to hear your news. Keep your chin up and I am sure the weight loss will start again soon.

Fizzy

So sorry to hear about your nan. Someone put a good thread on here the other day about stalling after surgery it is called Hibernation syndrome hear it is. Hope this helps.

HIBERNATION SYNDROME

After WLS, you may be feeling tired and become depressed. When you are several weeks post op, and are either on a liquid diet or you are eating many fewer calories than you were pre op, this depression and inactivity can become more pronounced.

All you want to do is sleep, you may have crying spells, you may begin to believe that the surgery was a mistake, or you may think 'what in the world have I done to myself?

All these feelings are completely normal and, to a certain extent, are to be expected. The low number of calories you are eating produces what many of us call the 'hibernation syndrome' and your depression and feelings of despair,are a direct result.

During the weeks immediately following surgery, our body starts to notice that we are not taking in enough calories. It doesn't know we've had WLS, or that it's the year 2000. Our body is missing food, thinks this is a famine, and struggles to conserve our energy. The human body reacts like it always has in a famine; it makes us depressed--so we don't have the motivation to do anything, and it makes us tired--so we don't have the energy to do anything. In this way, we will conserve as many calories as possible and remain alive.

You can see the practical value of this as our bodies have been living through famines, snowstorms, and other periods of unstable food supply for centuries.

This stage can last several weeks. Our discomfort is compounded as we are, at this same time, trying to recover from major surgery, adopt new eating habits, and deal with a liquid or soft diet. To get out of this stage, our body has to say to itself 'gee, this famine is lasting a bit too long. If I keep conserving my energy with inactivity, I will starve to death. I'd better use my last store of energy (the remaining fat and muscles in our body) to hunt up some food'. At this point, our body will switch from getting energy from food, to getting energy from our fat (and muscle too if we don't eat enough protein and that is what we want.

In order to deal with this difficult transition period, tell yourself that you're right on track; this is exactly what is normal and to be expected.

Tell yourself that, in a few weeks, this will pass, and you will feel like a completely new person. We all seem to turn the corner about 4-6 weeks post op. Then, your mood will lighten and, with your weight loss starting to add up, you'll feel more positive and have a better outlook on life. Just keep telling yourself that you will not always feel this way! You WILL be back to feeling like your old self. Just give it time!

Sorry to hear of your sad loss Paula....

Don't be hard on yourself, stop worrying about the scales, do your grieving and try and keep the protein in your diet. The lb's will drop off soon enough xx

Hi Paula sorry to hear you are having a rough time at the moment. Sending you my condolences regarding your Nan.

With regard to the stall, there are many things that could cause this, you are still recovering from major surgery and it could be your bodys way of catching up with itself, it could also be starvation mode with the reduced calories. You could also try uping your water intake, I am the worlds worst for drinking water and live on coffee, but when I do increases water the weight loss kicks in again. Please try not to worry about it and if you are still having problems when you go for your check up mention it to your team and your dietician may be able to help.

Our bodies are strange but wonderful things and do bizzare things to protect itself. Keep your chin up hun and pm if you want to chat. x x x x x

Hi Paula, sorry to hear about your nan xx

Just wanted to say I too stalled very early on post op, I remember it being the hardest time ever and really questioned whether I had done it all for nothing. The good news is it soon ended, followed by some great losses and touch wood I've never stalled again since. I realise now just how common stalls are in those first weeks after surgery.

Chin up,
Cuppa xx

Hi Paula, I am sorry to hear about your nan. There are probably no words that can comfort you right now but do keep posting on here and draw strenght from others as we are all here to help.

Regarding your weight loss stall, please dont worry about this. From about week three to week six or so I didnt lose an ounce and was very annonyed about it. After that I lost 7 lb the following week and have lost five pound a week for the past three weeks or so. In total I have lost over four stone since my op 11 weeks ago (over 6 stone in total) so the weight will come off again. I

I personally know who more post opers who had their surgery in Feb and March and they both had a stall for a few weeks as well so please dont worry.

Regarding your food, only you know what feels right. Listen to your body. The dietitican at Charing Cross gave me diet sheets to follow but insisted that they were only guidelines and that the best person to judge was myself and how I felt. I do think protein is important as I know I feel tirer if I dont eat enough protein.

I really hope you feel better soon,

big hugs x

Hey Paula,

I'm really sorry to hear all that you are going through right now; your nan and your weight loss. I agree with everyone; don't beat yourself up - your weight will be lost and you may find it comes off in fits and spurts.

:hug99:

Back