• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Sorry its the protein shake question!!

seawaves

Could someone please tell me when we have to start taking the protein shakes?, is it pretty much straight after your op? how many a day & the best place to get them from? I see Holland & B, have them for half price but they are the big ones & i thought if i don't like the flavour it could be a waste! One last thing is there more than one sort of protein because the one's i've seen are Whey Protein?! Sorry confused about this!!!!

Start as soon as you get home as they help with healing. One a day should be plenty. Whey protein is best. Look for ones with atleast 20g of protein and no more than 2-3g carbs.

Have a google for myprotein (can't remember if its .com or .co.uk) as I believe they do sample packs of the larger tubs.

I agree with Shell and sampling is so important. I have 2 huge tubs of the Holland ones and cannot stand to drink them so only use them in cooking. I used the Pro-Max maximuscle from week one in caffe latte flavour and made it up as an ice coffee with extra coffee. It was way more expensive, but for me the flavour was better. Everyone is different and others cannot stand my fave so you need to try and get samples first.
x

hey girls sorry to gate crash, is it just bypass'ers who have these shakes or lapband peeps to??.... xx

It is easier for banders to get protein from food in the early days, and less need for healing post op, so most don't use them. But it's a personal choice.

Thanks for all your replies i shall have a look on some of the site links you have given me :D
i really feel sorry for people who are going to or who have had surgery & don't know about this site, i don't know where i'd be without it!! thanks again xx

I got given the myprotein link from Rose; I originally ordered the samples to try out the flavours & have since ordered larger packs. Good value & fast service, would recommend them.

Sorry Seawaves, we all forgot to mention that immediately post op you should have a prescription for Fortimel which is full of protein etc... I don't think you'll need a protein shake till you've finished these, however i'm not sure it would disadvantage you to have a shake as well. As we all know the protein helps with the healing :) x

Thanks, i've just ordered a tenner's worth of the sample packs, another question?! do u make them with milk or water? it says u can do either on the protein site but wasn't sure what we had to do?! oh yeah (SORRY!) & when should i see my doc about the bits i'm going to need after, i know my ops not till sept but trying to get to grips with everything!!

Milk adds more protein and in my opinion they are rank with water! x

Hi Seawaves, I brought the vanilla flavour from Holland & Barrett today, and tried it with milk and really enjoyed it, I was really confused as all the others seemed so expensive and if I didn't like it, it would have been a waste of £20, but for £12 I didn't mind. All I can say is that I liked it, infact I had 2 glasses today.

I used to do half milk half water so as to avoid the milk calories too much.

Hiya Em, I don't think we get the fortimel, it wasn't on my discharge notes, and wasn't mentioned in the letter sent to my gp before my op about vitamins etc. Tried phoning you earlier, will try again tomorrow xxxxx

Well my two kegs of protein powder came yesterday! They weren't due till Monday and were free delivery. Just tried a creamy toffee and it was lush! I think if ever i'm feeling like i really need a sweet treat i may add a spoon of diabetic/low fat vanilla ice cream and it will be just like having a Mc'd's milkshake. Himself had a slurp and he enjoyed it too, thought for a minute i'd have to wrestle it off him :) x

well mine have arrived thinking i might try one at somepoint just so it doesn't come as such a shock post-op!!!!

Back