• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Hi all protein shakes do you really need them?

pinkylin

I had my surgery in nov last yr and so far have lost just over 6sts now my question is do you really need protein shakes if so what ones and where do i get them from ive not had one single protein shake since op is this why im not losing a bit faster dont get me wrong im chuffed to peices with the loss ive had but i would like a bit more gone by now like lol

Is not having protein shakes my downfall is this where i am going wrong any help would be fab guys lin.xx

I am not having protein shakes as i feel I dont need them. I would rather chew my protein than drink it.

I am losing 2.5 - 3lbs every week so am well pleased with that.

Hi Lin,

I used protein shakes. I have precious little muscle tone as it is and wanted to avoid muscle wastage completely. This is a side effect of a low protein diet. I calculated that I should consume around 80g of protein per day, and I wasn't getting anywhere near that from food alone, even on a low carb diet. I used foodfocus.co.uk to calculate my intake.

Protein is important to weight loss, it keeps you fuller longer, maintains a good metabolism, maintains your blood sugar, and is crucial for muscle maintainence and repair. Carbs break down in the stomach very quickly, cause blood sugar spikes and dips, cause carb cravings, and offer far fewer nutrients.

Now that I'm farther out, I don't use them anymore, as I can consume larger quantities, and therefore get all my needs from food alone.

In the first 4-5 months post op, you can get away with eating whatever you want basically, and still lose weight. I call this the carb and cr@p trap! You can easily get in to bad habits, particularly with carbs and slidey foods like crisps. After this point though, unless you are following the post op rules (avoid drinks with meals; 2 bites protein to 1 bite other; eat protein first, then veg then starches last; avoid snacking between meals; avoid food habits like comfort eating) your weight loss will rapidly slow down and eventually stop.

As for where to get them from, if you search the site there are a few good threads listing types and suppliers. In general, look for atleast 20g protein and less than 3g carbs per serving.

my team never told me to have the protein supplements but gave me guidance on what amounts of protein to eat each day. i'm not sure i always reach that target and as Shelbell says, as i get to the 6 months post op stage i may have to revise my situation.
i make sure that i drink lots of skimmed milk every day and eat plenty of meat and cheese. I bought a useful book that gives you the protein content of basic foods which has helped me to keep a closer eye on my intake.

I am a firm believer in protein shakes as you need protein to help promote healing following surgery. In fact you need much more protein after surgery than you needed before. And, of course, it is at this time that you are unable to eat much at all. So I used protein shakes for the first couple of months after my bypass until I could get my protein solely from my food.

thanx guys for the advice ive never had a p shake since op but i would like to start taken them coz somedays i manage to eat okish and others i hardley eat at all so i knw i need them when i do eat i eat meat ie chicken,ham mince i dont eat fish often as im not really a fishy eater and i do have low fat cheese now and again but not that much really i have grown to like my skinny lattes so i do consume milk there and i do have a bit of powdered milk now and again to but i really want to get some shakes as i really do think this would help me get the last 2st off that i would like to lose to get to the goal i want to get to hopefully when i reach this i will stop losing but if not that will be ok as long as i dont got to thin lol dont want to look ill hahaha ive tried lookin on here as where to buy them from but cant find it anyway so can anyone suggest where please?

The one I use...from Boots.

I use the one below. I only recently started to use shakes once I had trouble losing more than a few ounces a week. Since I started having the shake two weeks ago I have lost 6lbs and I am thrilled. The shake I have is Strawberry Cream and is really quite tasty, somewhat sweet, but its nice and is very pallatable.
I got it from Boots.
I only had the occassional shake before now but once the weight loss slowed down I thought that I would try it and it seems to have worked.
I have put the picture below so that you know exactly what to look for.
Steph xx

protein.jpg

Might buy some of that myself Steph, i'm sure my protein needs a boost! Especially as i couldn't take my fortimel immediately post op!

Good post x

I could never keep protein shakes down, they make me feel sick at the thought of them, I think I have some psychological block when it comes to them!

But I now have a muscle weakness in my back that I am receiving physio for.

The need for protein isn't just to help weightloss, it's to stop your body shedding muscle as well as fat, which is what (I think) has happened to me.

It's not pleasant. Don't think of the week by week weightloss, think of your long term health.

Rx

thanx for all that info guys i have recentley started suffering with my back and im now owndering if this is in fact due to muscle wastage its been killing me it feels like my back is goin to snap in half when im geting out of bed do you think this is what it could be ?

step how much was the powder from boots please hun? and how long does it last and how many shakes do you need a day and is it to replace food soz for all the questions lol

I get mine from myprotein.com - the BSN desert ones are my favourite. They also do some sample packets for £1.00 each so you try different flavours before you buy the big tub. You do have to pay delivery though.

They aren't to replace meals no, post op you should be having 3 meals and 2-3 snacks per day. A shake would be one of these snacks.

I only use protein shakes on days when I cant get protein in otherwise. I aim for at least 60g (although with my size I am sure I should be on more). I normaly get my protein from chicken fish milk etc but top it up with protein shakes it need be.

I'm with Shel I'm a big protein shake user and I take then as my snacks. I look at it like this I like them, they act as my banker by giving me 40gs of protein every day before any food so if I get side tracked and busy I'm good as I can drink oneof these down on the go. Plus I drink them in massesof iced water so it helps my fluid intake..win/win situation.

I use all sorts I like Dynmatize chocolate fudge, BSN banana nut bread, the one Steph recommended for strawberry the trial sachets are very useful for seeing what you like. I pay £29.99 for the dynamatize one and it does 77 servngs.

Hope you find one you like

M

step how much was the powder from boots please hun? and how long does it last and how many shakes do you need a day and is it to replace food soz for all the questions lol

I THINK it was £22 is for the tub I have but its not the smallest of tubs. If you make it the way they suggest then you might be lucky to make it last two weeks (they suggest two scoops) but I have one scoop in each shake and I make it with ss milk instead of water (horrid with water) and usually just have one a day and so far it seems to be helping so its worth the money. With that shake you get a bottle of Creatine but as I dont use them we gave them to a body builder friend of ours, so you get something free too. I always thought I wouldnt turn to the shakes but the amounts I can eat dont allow me to get in enough protein, so makes sense for me.
Hope that helps.
Steph xx

P.S I have one a day and I have it as a kind of mid afternoon 'snack' drink.

I use the same one same flavour and buy it from the larger Tesco stores. Mine is the giant one and costs £38.00 its on offer at the mo. That gives you 67 1x scoop servings @ 148cals, 25g protein, 3.6g carbs, 4.3g fat,. I also blend 1 med size banana in mine to thicken it, and I make it with water. Mine is USN 100% Whey protein and is a dietry supplement. so slightly different. It tastes just like a mackies milk shake when done too!!

thanx steph thanx guys i think i will try the one from boots see how it goes step you know teh freebie you get with it do you think that would be ok to take from time to time aswell coz it is for your muscles isnt it?

Back