• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Protein shakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

gillabean

Really living now!
Just preparing for after my by-pass, 26 days!! My son, super fit Royal Marine, uses a protein shake that he says is the only one he has ever been able to stomach. I had some this morning and it was nice, all the others that I've tried are disgusting. It is called 'PhD Pharma-Whey (flavour = Vanilla Creme)' It comes in a beautifully stylish large pot and has 20g protein and 100 calories and 1.8g carbohydrate per scoop. 1 scoop=1 shake. It is a bit pricey (around £35 for 90 scoops, that is £35 for 3 shakes a day (60g protein)/month)

Has anyone else found any protein shakes that are good? Or protein bars etc.

sounds nice but sorry can not help as I never bought protein powder/shakes. Never felt the need to use them

Hi Gillabean. I am having my op two days before you and am thinking about protein intake also.

And Tina - if you don't use protein supplements do you mind me asking how you reach your intake?

I am a veggie and tend to use quorn, pulses, milk, yogurt and some cheese as protein sources now.

Do any of you find that these foods are unsuitable for you now after surgery? I am not meaning to sound naive, but have been told that different people can cope with different things. :)

I have a Met RX ready to drink protien shake (20gms protein) every morning as recomended by Nic.;) and they are very nice.
I get them from here Elite Supplement, Cheap Bodybuilding Supplements & Sports Supplements, Maximuscle Reflex USN#
I also eat a lot of whole cooked prawns 200gms is 39.2gms of Protien I have these most days too. Also fish, Peanuts & Cheese, I love Wensleydale & cranberry. I now drink My coffee made with milk & have between 3/4 small cups a day.

And Tina - if you don't use protein supplements do you mind me asking how you reach your intake?

I am a veggie and tend to use quorn, pulses, milk, yogurt and some cheese as protein sources now.

Sukay
Its a misconception that you have to take protein suppliments, you should be able to gain enough protein daily from eating a healthy balanced diet, many here preach on about protein suppliments and how great they are, and its correct you should try to keep your protein intake high, but there's no reason why you cant gain this from food by eating a proper nutricanally balanced diet.

I will definitely need them. When I went on the Cambridge Diet I was feeling weak and shaky at work and crave meat, as soon as I had some chicken my shakes would stop. My son swears by protein shakes and he is as fit as a butchers dog.

Anyone (even those who aren't healing) needs about 85g protein per day - there's no way you can get near that level on a restricted diet if you remember that 3oz steak only supplies about 26. Your need for protein increases after surgery so protein shakes are a good way to make up the shortfall. If you can get all your protein requirements from food, that's great - but most people struggle.

I've looked for Pharma-whey protein but couldn't find it - where did you get yours? Mxx

Anyone (even those who aren't healing) needs about 85g protein per day - there's no way you can get near that level on a restricted diet if you remember that 3oz steak only supplies about 26. Your need for protein increases after surgery so protein shakes are a good way to make up the shortfall. If you can get all your protein requirements from food, that's great - but most people struggle.

I've looked for Pharma-whey protein but couldn't find it - where did you get yours? Mxx

I didn't use protein shakes or suppliments and i've lost 12 stone........!

I've never felt weak or tired and never had a problem.........!

I was never told i needed to use protein suppliments either.

I did however start an experiment to see if there was anything it these protein suppliments and started using a suppliement which i have to say made absolutely no difference to the way i felt, my energy level or weight loss, it remained exactly the same !

Personally i'd rather eat my protein than buy pre made shakes.

I will definitely need them. When I went on the Cambridge Diet I was feeling weak and shaky at work and crave meat, as soon as I had some chicken my shakes would stop. My son swears by protein shakes and he is as fit as a butchers dog.

You felt crap on the cambridge diet because its a liquid replacement diet, which wont work for various reasons, post op you will be eating real food including meat, so you wont feel like this, plus your body wont be craving food all the time like when on CD.

I must say, I do agree. It's where a lot of people go 'wrong' when they restrict calories below a certain level. Of course, how much protein a person needs will depend on their size, how lean they are, how much exercise they do etc, and I have no idea what sort of calorie levels people are on after WLS.

If it's really quite low, sort of under 1,000 kcals, I would imagine a protein shake would be a much easier way of ensuring you have enough. Well, unless you prefer a very low carb way of eating which could be hard to keep up in the long term.

You felt crap on the cambridge diet because its a liquid replacement diet, which wont work for various reasons, post op you will be eating real food including meat, so you wont feel like this, plus your body wont be craving food all the time like when on CD.

Ummm :confused: Wont work? Craving food all the time?

And hey, don't forget there's 5 CD plans that do include 'real food' ;)

Perhaps you mean you struggled to do CD, not that CD 'wont work'. Or you craved food all the time for some reason (which is very unusual BTW)...most people may well have cravings some time during the diet, but not all the time. Feel the generalisation here is a little unfair.

I can understand why some people find CD difficult and choose WLS. But saying it wont work isn't correct.

Ummm :confused: Wont work? Craving food all the time?

And hey, don't forget there's 5 CD plans that do include 'real food' ;)

Perhaps you mean you struggled to do CD, not that CD 'wont work'. Or you craved food all the time for some reason (which is very unusual BTW)...most people may well have cravings some time during the diet, but not all the time. Feel the generalisation here is a little unfair.

I can understand why some people find CD difficult and choose WLS. But saying it wont work isn't correct.

Nope liquid replacement diets do not work, they do not re educate you, and the word diet describes a period of time, what happens when you go back onto real food and re join the human race, sorry the stats are really against self control diets, 95% of those that manage to lose weight on any self control diet fail to maintain that weight long term ! - think about it, if all these diets we are sold into worked they wouldn't exist any more and these companies that sell these diets would go out of business because we would have all lost our excess weight and been able to maintain and therefore not need to diet.

CD or any other liquid replacement diet is just one specific type of self control weight lose, there are others that include calorie contol etc, most people choose WLS as the last option not because they have failed at CD.

Nope liquid replacement diets do not work, they do not re educate you, and the word diet describes a period of time, what happens when you go back onto real food and re join the human race,

What happens? I maintain very happily. Besides, there was 3 months of healthy eating after SS which is set to be done towards the end of the diet:confused:

sorry the stats are really against self control diets, 95% of those that manage to lose weight on any self control diet fail to maintain that weight long term !

That's true, but it's nothing to do with the diet. It's to do with how they learn to maintain their weight. The diet get's you to the starting line, so you can try to maintain your weight. It's not the diets fault if you can't maintain for whatever reason after the diet has got you to goal. They are two separate journeys

- think about it, if all these diets we are sold into worked they wouldn't exist any more and these companies that sell these diets would go out of business because we would have all lost our excess weight and been able to maintain and therefore not need to diet.

The trouble is, people look to diets to solve their eating problems. Diets help you lose weight. That's what they are designed to do, and if a person can do them, then they do exactly what it says on the tin. Most don't market themselves as as cure for eating disorders etc.

CD or any other liquid replacement diet is just one specific type of self control weight lose, there are others that include calorie contol etc, most people choose WLS as the last option not because they have failed at CD.

I'm well aware of that. I can understand people choosing WLS. My objection was that you said CD wont work, and that people crave all the time. That was a generalisation. The diet works if you can do it. If you can't, fair enough, but you cannot say it doesn't work. For weight loss, it most certainly does. That's not to say it's right for everyone. But it will work if you can do it.

What happens? I maintain very happily. Besides, there was 3 months of healthy eating after SS which is set to be done towards the end of the diet:confused:

That's true, but it's nothing to do with the diet. It's to do with how they learn to maintain their weight. The diet get's you to the starting line, so you can try to maintain your weight. It's not the diets fault if you can't maintain for whatever reason after the diet has got you to goal. They are two separate journeys

The trouble is, people look to diets to solve their eating problems. Diets help you lose weight. That's what they are designed to do, and if a person can do them, then they do exactly what it says on the tin. Most don't market themselves as as cure for eating disorders etc.

I'm well aware of that. I can understand people choosing WLS. My objection was that you said CD wont work, and that people crave all the time. That was a generalisation. The diet works if you can do it. If you can't, fair enough, but you cannot say it doesn't work. For weight loss, it most certainly does. That's not to say it's right for everyone. But it will work if you can do it.

Hey well done for reaching your goal weight and maintainign that weight, however your assuming that those here including myself haven't tried and succeeded with different types of diet in the past, in fact i've spent most of my adult life on one sort of diet or the other, and every one i've had a measure of success, yet never been able to maintain that lose long time, so please dont breach to me about dieting as i've done them all.

you may be one of those that does manage to maintain weight loss long term, however i know far more people that have lost and failed to maintain that loss than i do that have kept the weight off.

I stand by my point - diets do not work because they are a period of time and not a life long commitment to healthy eating, buying a product to get you from A to B is not healthy eating (even if you do 3 months of healthy eating post diet) ergo self control diets do not work and that must include CD !

One last point - this thread was about protein supliments for bypass paitents and really nothing to do with the cambridge diet, with only a reference made to CD by someone that felt ill doing it ! i'm of the opinion that it is your intention to sabotage this thread defending your chosen dieting method on the surgical weight loss section, your opinion is of course always welcome, however i cant see anyone on the WLS section being interested in weather CD works or not really.

I get my protein supplements from discount supplements, and it's free p n p:DAs a veggie I find it hard to get enough protein per day, without overloading on cheese, (although I also eat lots of pulses etc) so I have a shake in the morning and it gives me 30g of protein right away:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back