• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Supplements and Protein.........

Mark01/05/2009

On my way................
Hi All,

Just wanted to share with everyone what vitamins and supplements I have been taking since my op that has helped me achieve my weight loss and feel so good.

Firstly I have seen alot of talk of protein shakes on here and I have found the BEST tasting protein shake around.

Total protein xs (5lb) - Protein supplements | myprotein.co.uk

That shake comes in Vanilla and Chocolate Mint - I swear the chocolate mint one tastes like you are drinking an Aero! It is beautiful! It gives 36g of protein per serving and it mixes so well, no lumps at all. I cant recommend it highly enough.

I take a serving before going to the gym and sometimes after aswell. It really is a great way to get your protein, which we all need to lose the weight.

The second way I get my protein intake is via NSC Protein Shots.

NSC Pro Shot 12 x 25g Vials - Cheap Supplements

The Fruit flavour tastes respectable and they deliver 25g protein per shot and its gone within 1 mouthful so for us that cant eat 10 chicken breasts to get our protein, they are conveniant and wont make you feel really full.

they can be carried in any gym bag, handbag or man bag ;)

I also take Boots 1000MG Omega 3 Fish Oil, there is no after taste at all with them! They are a bit large but easy to take after a few attempts.

I also take a Green Tea extract supplement which aids with digestion and speeds up the metabolism.

Also, Poundland sell flavoured water for 21p a bottle. I drink loads of the stuff. Its sugar free and still so no bubbles to make me feel full unncessarily!!!

Also I regularly eat Smoked Almonds, in 10 Smoked Almonds is 4.5g of fat, which is healthy fat that our hearts need.

I am also a big fan of smoked mackeral, great source of Omega 3 and packed in Protein!

Oat Cakes are also a superb form of Carbohydrate and are packed with energy. They are complex carb so break down slowly releasing energy gradually, great with Cottage Cheese on for Breakfast.

Cottage Cheese - love it or hate it? Either way its soooo good for you, if you hate it, try whacking it in a blender with some strawberrys, raspberrys and blackberrys with natural yoghurt. Will hide the taste of the cottage cheese and give you a great tasting smoothy which is packed with protein.

Just thought I would share some of the stuff that works for me with you all :)

Mark xxxxxxx

Great to see other people and what they are intaking :D

I had a few of the NSC pro shots but sorry, they are rank!

Might have to try the other though!!

i dont know what to do about protein, i'm 3 weeks post op and not losing much (although I do feel as if i am the scales say different), i'm still on puree and haven't been told at this stage to increase my protein intake...hmmm... did others have protein supplements at this stage?

Indianlight, chances are that you won't be advised to increase your protein at any point your wls journey :(. The truth is that most people are not told by their team of professionals the extreme importance of protein intake as a post-op. In fact I have had people tell me that their professionals discouraged the use of shakes and supplements saying they were not needed. By doing the simple math, I realized that I could not in the early days post-op achieve the recommended 80g of protein per day that is commonly sited in American weight loss surgery books and websites. It is my opinion through my own research (reading online medical research, books & other forums) and experience that you really can't go wrong by making protein a priority. I have taken protein supplements since my first day home just 36 hours after my surgery. I know for a fact that I healed faster and have had less difficulty with eating than many other bypassers not using a high protein diet. In the end you will need to make your own choice how best to proceed. Take into account what your professionals have advised and make sure to educate yourself by reading many sources and asking people you encounter who have been successful how they did it.

Best of luck to you!

And Mark thanks for the links and suggestions, that is very helpful!

Nic;)

I sit on the opposite side of the fence to PG, i never used protein suppliments of any kind, was never advised to do so either, i have though always ate a protein rich balanced diet, and so far i've lost 11 stone 2lb of the 12 stone i have to lose to reach my goal weight !

I also believe that the way we heal and the speed of healing depends on your surgeon and his skills and surgical techique, i had the same surgeon as PG and healed up increadably quickly dispite not using protein suppliments.

I did recently experiement with protein suppliments at a later stage and can conclussively say it made absolutely no difference to my weight loss.

Thanks PG, i'l get some shakes. Do you know anywhere I can get a range of small samples? I like the sound of the mint choc that Mark mentions but don't want to buy such a huge amount and then not like it. I would prefer to try several first. I appreciate any help xx

Hiya mark ive put all my card details in got right to the end then a page came up stating it wasnt a safe web site I will try again later. Gail:wave_cry:
Hi All,

Just wanted to share with everyone what vitamins and supplements I have been taking since my op that has helped me achieve my weight loss and feel so good.

Firstly I have seen alot of talk of protein shakes on here and I have found the BEST tasting protein shake around.

Total protein xs (5lb) - Protein supplements | myprotein.co.uk

That shake comes in Vanilla and Chocolate Mint - I swear the chocolate mint one tastes like you are drinking an Aero! It is beautiful! It gives 36g of protein per serving and it mixes so well, no lumps at all. I cant recommend it highly enough.

I take a serving before going to the gym and sometimes after aswell. It really is a great way to get your protein, which we all need to lose the weight.

The second way I get my protein intake is via NSC Protein Shots.

NSC Pro Shot 12 x 25g Vials - Cheap Supplements

The Fruit flavour tastes respectable and they deliver 25g protein per shot and its gone within 1 mouthful so for us that cant eat 10 chicken breasts to get our protein, they are conveniant and wont make you feel really full.

they can be carried in any gym bag, handbag or man bag ;)

I also take Boots 1000MG Omega 3 Fish Oil, there is no after taste at all with them! They are a bit large but easy to take after a few attempts.

I also take a Green Tea extract supplement which aids with digestion and speeds up the metabolism.

Also, Poundland sell flavoured water for 21p a bottle. I drink loads of the stuff. Its sugar free and still so no bubbles to make me feel full unncessarily!!!

Also I regularly eat Smoked Almonds, in 10 Smoked Almonds is 4.5g of fat, which is healthy fat that our hearts need.

I am also a big fan of smoked mackeral, great source of Omega 3 and packed in Protein!

Oat Cakes are also a superb form of Carbohydrate and are packed with energy. They are complex carb so break down slowly releasing energy gradually, great with Cottage Cheese on for Breakfast.

Cottage Cheese - love it or hate it? Either way its soooo good for you, if you hate it, try whacking it in a blender with some strawberrys, raspberrys and blackberrys with natural yoghurt. Will hide the taste of the cottage cheese and give you a great tasting smoothy which is packed with protein.

Just thought I would share some of the stuff that works for me with you all :)

Mark xxxxxxx

Back