• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

SOUPS

Bluebutterflier

Bouncing Bander
Hi all....

Im currently on my milk diet....pre op bander.....(17th April 2012 Op date)

I've made all my soups this week.....7 varieties....and frozen them as required.

But heres the silly question I have...

When its time to eat them....How do I cook them, unfreeze them etc?

Is it a re-heat job?
A defrost then re-heat job?
A microwave defrost then heat job?
or what?

Sorry, ive never been good with frozen cook times....

defrost then reheat :) You can probably get away with microwave defrost if it hasn't got meat, but you're not supposed to.

You're very organised! I'm not cooking until the weekend and my surgery is Monday!

Thanks Yve....

Yep, thought id get them out of the way....

Soups done:
  1. Carrot & sweet potato(in a curried type soup)
  2. Red pesto & smoked bacon soup
  3. chicken & garlic & vegetables soup
  4. Spicy Parsnip soup
  5. Butternut squash & sweet potato soup
  6. Green pesto and chicken soup
  7. Leek & potato soup

All of them processed and purified....and put into tubs or small containers....enough for 6 servings for each soup!....My freezer is jam packed lol

Oh by the way - I should be called 'Miss Organised'....must be the cusp sign of Virgo in me :D

I will be doing 3 and supplementing with tins as I don't want to waste. So I am making cauliflower and cheese soup, bacon and lentil soup and possibly tomato soup. Although I quite like the idea of green pesto and chicken; would you mind sharing the recipe? Also did you do them on the hob, or slow cooker? I am thinking of slow cookering, just for the sake of putting it all on and forgetting about it.

Chicken & Pesto Soup

Sure, no problems....

Most of the recipes I found in a book called:
'1001 One pot, Casseroles, Soups and Stews'
1001 One Pot, Casseroles, Soups & Stews: Amazon.co.uk: Books

Anyways the recipe for the Chicken & Red Pesto Soup...

I altered it a tiny bit....see in brackets -to make it a bit more healthy.

2 tbsp Olive Oil (I used light olive oil)
100g Cooked chopped chicken
25g Butter (i just used more light olive oil)
450g Floury Potatoes chopped
450g Onions finely chopped
1 pint of milk (I didnt use)
100g Conchigliette pasta (I didnt put in)
150ml Double cream (I didnt put this in, instead of this and the milk, I used one carton of single cream)
2 tbsp chopped parsley
2 tbsp Red pesto (but you can use green if you want)
1 Pint of chicken stock
Salt & Pepper

- Heat oil in pan and cook the onions and potatoes together, add the chicken once they have been in for a few minutes.
- Add the stock.....(if you are adding the pasta- put this in too)
- Salt & pepper
- Add Parsley
- Leave for a few minutes to soften.....
- Finally add milk/cream -Whatever you choose to use
- Leave for 15mins on simmer - or in a slow cooker

I think I will try soya cream as I'm lactose intolerant and its even lower in cals/fat

You guys are seriously impressive.
I made carol Bowen ball's bariatric cauliflower cheese soup ( see her website)' my Mum's minestrone & had a lovely butternut squash & ginger soup when I went out last night albeit only ever manage a few spoonfuls now.
Just popped into Itsu (Japanese takeaway bar chain) & bought a Miso soup , it was lovely very low cal & fat & quite good protein due to the miso (soya protein).

Thanks hun :) Although, don't think I'm impressive so much as the fact that my boyfriend can't cook anything that's not in a bag or box, and I can't stand the thought of more milk!

And also I have no intention of lifting so much as a finger for 2 weeks after my op :)

& u keep to that resolution. Good luck. X

Back