• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Spaghetti squash !!

Ruthiep

This is my favourite "go to" pasta substitute. Actually I don't even like pasta all that much but I totally love this vegetable squash. Trouble is, it's not that easy to get hold of. I buy mine direct from a farm in Cambridgeshire. Not sure if I'm allowed to post a link to it? Am I?

Anyway, here's what I do with it.

The squash look like smooth oval yellow pumpkins. I pierce them in several places to prevent steam build up and bake them in an ovenproof dish (I use foil) for 45 mns (approx, depending on size) until you can easily pierce them, but they're not all soft and squidgy.

Then I wait till they've cooled down enough to handle. Then I cut them in half lengthwise, remove and discard the seeds, and, with a fork, scrape the flesh lengthwise. It will separate into spaghetti-like strands. I keep a bowlful of these strands in my fridge, and they also freeze really well at this stage. When I want to use them, I use them as I would use cooked pasta. I have a bowlful for lunch with grated low fat cheese and tomato sauce or just ketchup! Delish, and only 33 calories a cup cooked squash before adding any sauce, compared to 221 calories of real spaghetti.

Does it taste like spaghetti? No, but it's very very good, comforting, low carb, and a favourite of mine; I never seem to get tired of it!

if they arent easy to buy, maybe you could grow some yourself? I had a friend grow some, and she gave me a couple - never thought Id like them, but they are delicious!

I love squash so I'm going to give it a go. Thanks hun

The season for the squash is more or less over until August. The farm I buy them from still has a few left, but not many!

Mmmmm I love squash too, so will definitely try spaghetti squash when back in season. Thanks Ruthie x

They are delicious! Sorry to hear there hard to find. In Montreal we have them in every grocery store.

Zero Noodles - the way to go for a pasta substitute!

Back