• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Gastric Balloon Spatz balloon inserted today- wish me luck please!

Ajuliagulia

I'm having a Spatz Balloon inserted today. I'm an American from Southern California. FDA has not approved balloons in the US yet so I have to do a little medical tourism and leave the country to get one.

I DO NOT want to get a surgery.

I've done it before with varying success and failure. At first I got Amgen's gastric balloon in Mexico. Canadian doctors said they wouldn't treat Americans.

I lost 100 pounds with it (using 3 different balloons).

The first balloon was too big had to be replaced at month 5 for a much smaller one because an endoscopy revealed that my daily vomiting first thing in the morning had caused ulcers in my esophagus. I had it removed and continued to loose weight with smaller balloons and the follow up endoscopy said that my ulcers were gone.

I had the second one replaced on schedule. replacing it was uneventful. i didn't even have much nausea. I had to have the third one pulled out because I ran out of money to have a new one installed.

Then, last summer I had enough money to do it again. I lasted about two weeks with the first one but had to get IV fluids because I could've even keep a little water down. Not even ice cubes.

I tried again a few months later but this time, I could only handle it for a week because I was puking so much and was having to get IV fluids. The gastroenterologist who pulled the balloon said I had gastritis. I don't know which came first but I'm sure that having gastritis didn't help me tolerate the balloon.

I am relentless in my efforts though. It's kinda like having a baby. After a little while, you kinda forget about all of the challenges of pregnancy and childbirth. Just enough to be willing to do it again.

I'm in the Bahamas this time. Not a bad place to be puking my brains out I suppose. In the last few weeks, I had my blood tested for H-Pylori and an endoscopy to rule out the current presence of gastritis. The gastroenterologist said all is good to go.

I'm trying to release my fear of history repeating itself.

I am hopeful that because of it's adjustability and confirmation that I do not have gastritis, all will go well.

Wish me luck and positive outcomes.

good luck im sure all will go great x

I'm having a Spatz Balloon inserted today. I'm an American from Southern California. FDA has not approved balloons in the US yet so I have to do a little medical tourism and leave the country to get one.

I've done it before with varying success and failure. At first I got Amgen's gastric balloon in Mexico. Canadian doctors said they wouldn't treat Americans.

The first balloon was too big had to be replaced at month 5 for a much smaller one because an endoscopy revealed that my daily vomiting first thing in the morning had caused ulcers in my esophagus. I had it removed and continued to loose weight with smaller balloons and the follow up endoscopy said that my ulcers were gone.

I had the second one replaced on schedule. replacing it was uneventful. i didn't even have much nausea. I had to have the third one pulled out because I ran out of money to have a new one installed.

Then, last summer I had enough money to do it again. I lasted about two weeks with the first one but had to get IV fluids because I could've even keep a little water down. Not even ice cubes.

I tried again a few months later but this time, I could only handle it for a week because I was puking so much and was having to get IV fluids. The gastroenterologist who pulled the balloon said I had gastritis. I don't know which came first but I'm sure that having gastritis didn't help me tolerate the balloon.

I am relentless in my efforts though. It's kinda like having a baby. After a little while, you kinda forget about all of the challenges of pregnancy and childbirth. Just enough to be willing to do it again.

I'm in the Bahamas this time. Not a bad place to be puking my brains out I suppose. In the last few weeks, I had my blood tested for H-Pylori and an endoscopy to rule out the current presence of gastritis. The gastroenterologist said all is good to go.

I am hopeful that because of it's adjustability and confirmation that I do not have gastritis, all will go well.

Good luck!!!!! I have mine 2 months now ans so far I love it! Weight loss is slow but steady. I have a 500 ml fill. I have lost 27 lbs so far with no sickness apart from first 2 days and no ill effects at all.

Best of luck and keep us posted!!!!!

Wishing u all the luck. Well done on the weight loss so far! Keep up the good work :)
Had mine fitted 9th feb. so far lost a stone!!!!
Was sick day 1. Slightly feeling unwell pains and that for a few days. Now I hardly know its there!
Mine is only in for 6 months and can't be refilled!

Fingers crossed for u. Keep us posted and enjoy the heat as much as u can xx

hi I got the balloon in feb the 9th 2012. pre balloon I have lost 5st and since having it put in I'm down another 11lb!!! slow but getting there!!! my goal is to loose another 3stone!

Thank you for the positive thoughts

I'm still experiencing a lot of acid reflux and cramping. But it's been less than 48 hours since the balloon was installed.

I should have more to report in a couple of days.

Thanks again for your kind support.

I'm still experiencing a lot of acid reflux and cramping. But it's been less than 48 hours since the balloon was installed.

I should have more to report in a couple of days.

Thanks again for your kind support.

Yea I did have cramping for a few days! Also felt like there was a baby in there!!!! All the movement was unreal! But it did die down :)
Stay strong and positive. It's only a few days xx

hi I got the balloon in feb the 9th 2012. pre balloon I have lost 5st and since having it put in I'm down another 11lb!!! slow but getting there!!! my goal is to loose another 3stone!

It's been 7 days today since I had the balloon inserted. I have been vomiting daily and am still only able to drink fluids (and only non-acid fluids) which I either vomit or regurgitate. My Bahamas doctor is awesome! He and his entire staff have been incredibly supportive. They're doing everything possible to help me keep calm and keep fluids down. I may be in a tropical paradise but this last week has been both a physical and emotional hell for me.

I am most worried about dehydration. The body can live for at least 30 days without food. But it only lasts a few days without water and I am constantly thirsty but can't satisfy my thirst. My tongue hurts. Ice has become my best friend.

I am scheduled to fly home on Monday (originally I was supposed to leave last Wednesday). Waiting for me at home are two beautiful little boys, a husband, a dog, two cats, and a whole lot of responsibility and business. Feeling weak and dehydrated is not going to help me much.

I don't know what to do. Please pray for me.

It's been 7 days today since I had the balloon inserted. I have been vomiting daily and am still only able to drink fluids (and only non-acid fluids) which I either vomit or regurgitate. My Bahamas doctor is awesome! He and his entire staff have been incredibly supportive. They're doing everything possible to help me keep calm and keep fluids down. I may be in a tropical paradise but this last week has been both a physical and emotional hell for me.

I am most worried about dehydration. The body can live for at least 30 days without food. But it only lasts a few days without water and I am constantly thirsty but can't satisfy my thirst. My tongue hurts. Ice has become my best friend.

I am scheduled to fly home on Monday (originally I was supposed to leave last Wednesday). Waiting for me at home are two beautiful little boys, a husband, a dog, two cats, and a whole lot of responsibility and business. Feeling weak and dehydrated is not going to help me much.

God love ye!!!!!
Stay strong, you will get there.
You are having a tough run of it!!!
I on the other hand have no restriction at all!!!
My balloon is in for 6 months, so far been in for 5 1/2 weeks. Lost 1st 4lb so far :)
I can only imagine how hard it is for u.
Fingers crossed for u, hope u will get home soon and get sorted xx

carol b :)

Hi Ajuliagulia. Sip only the tinyest sips of liquid and leave a couple of minutes between sips. Sounds ludicrous but it does work. The same goes for any food little bites and chew chew chew.
I am 6 weeks post balloon insert and I am still being sick but only if I eat particular foods...onions is the newest one I can add to my list. It has been a trial as I try find the foods that i can tolerate and others I just cant keep down or digest for whatever reason. Fruit & veg are no goes for me unless they are dense, like bananas. Spicey, fatty or acidic foods/drinks aggravate the hernia and reflux so i avoid these too now. Anything that is sticky like pasta or things that are liable to coat the balloon, mayo for example, I find are also best avoided. Yes my diet is really quite bland but i am getting results so I can live with it for its duration. You may not be like me. Everyone is different. Others eat perfectly normally afterwards just less. I do not have that luxury I have the less but no real variety. I had reflux & hernia before the balloon and this has become so much worse since the balloon. My bed is raised 6inches now at the head end. I do not eat anything after 6pm although i do continue to sip drinks. My medication was changed to Lanzaprole 2x Daily for the reflux... are you taking anything similar?

Do I have any regrets ... No! No! & No! I am getting results :).. Nobody told me it was going to be easy ;)

How's things going with the ballon Ajuliagulia?

Hi All,

I had my balloon put in 3 days ago n it's been hell :( I can only lay on my left side which has made my back n legs sore. I've been in hospital since the operation n came out today. I'm yet to stomach anything. Even water!!! Any suggestions? How long has it taken everyone else? When did you start on solid foods?

I'm struggling to be positive at the moment! Just want to get in the pool n swim or go to the gym. I'm over laying around but the balloon is all I can feel as soon as I move!

HELP :)

Hi All,

I had my balloon put in 3 days ago n it's been hell :( I can only lay on my left side which has made my back n legs sore. I've been in hospital since the operation n came out today. I'm yet to stomach anything. Even water!!! Any suggestions? How long has it taken everyone else? When did you start on solid foods?

I'm struggling to be positive at the moment! Just want to get in the pool n swim or go to the gym. I'm over laying around but the balloon is all I can feel as soon as I move!

HELP :)

Hi ya
Sorry to hear your not doing well!!!
I was sick day one and two, after that I refused to in any amount that may make me sick.
I tried peppermint tea and that was yuck!!!!
Had sugar free jelly a fair bit, that was grand. But I think no matter what it takes time for the balloon to settle and get used to being in there.
I felt sea sick! I still constantly feel like I have a baby inside me but its the balloon bouncing around!
By the end of week one I was grand! Haven't had much trouble since. Although I do over doit on drinking too much water at once and get cramps :( but other than that its great!
You just need to get to day 5-6 and u will feel much better! Try get plenty of rest and remember why your doing it!!!!
I'm down 1 stone 6lb in 10 weeks.
Well worth it.
Let us know how u get on xx

I was a week before I felt better and stopped feeling the balloon moving around. Now I am not aware of it at all apart from the restriction. I was a few weeks though before I felt hungry enough for solid food but this isn't the norm for most ballooners who are much like CB4. I suffered reflux before but it is so much easier aggravated since the balloon but I am coping with it & loving the results that the balloon has given me. In the early days it is literally the tiny tiny tiniest sips of fluid with a few minutes gap in between them... constantly. Personally I could not tolerate NAS juices (too sweet & acidic) and I had to learn to like water lol. You will be able to take more normal sips as your stomach gets used having the balloon. Good luck hun ..it will get better but for the moment concentrate on a liquid diet till you are settled ;) x

Oh thanks a million for your help n support. Finally had n ok night sleep although my left leg is dead now. Wasn't sick all night thank golly gosh! Struggling to get out of bed though as I'm afraid as soon as I move it'll make me sick!

What are some good liquid drinks/food to eat?

I'm so greatful I found this thread now :) thanks ladies xxxx

Oh thanks a million for your help n support. Finally had n ok night sleep although my left leg is dead now. Wasn't sick all night thank golly gosh! Struggling to get out of bed though as I'm afraid as soon as I move it'll make me sick!

That's great u had a good night minus the leg!!!!
I found nas jelly was a saviour!
I stayed on liquids for a full week, as well as jelly!
Don't some cuppa soups.
Fingers crossed for an easier day for u xx

Glad to hear you are feeling better .. You will feel like this for a few more days. Early morning was always my worst time in the settling in period. It does end honest. Did your provider give you any tablets to take ..lansoprazole or oomperazole for example? They are given to help protect your stomach and balloon from acid damage. You are strongly advised to avoid NSAID's or any tablet that will aggravate the stomach lining. I mention this since you are having back pain ;). As CB4 says jelly slid down lovely as did sugar free angel delight (this was my saviour). Thin soups too. I made a big batch of homemade soup and froze small ramekin size portions of it so I could have this But then found I couldn't tolerate it as it was way too thick lol but luckily I had some cuppa slim soups that want down a treat. Ice lollies too NAS ones though. Skimmed or semi skimmed milk and yogurts where also good. After time you will probably feel better with very soft puréed foods for a few days before you start to eat normally. This is where you take guidance from your dietician and adhere to what they tell you. And this is where the hard work starts for you. Healthy eating, drinking copious amounts of fluids & portion control is the key. Learn to recognise the signs of fullness, differentiate real hunger from head hunger and be honest with yourself. I use the app my fitness planner to keep track of EVERYTHING that I intake. It has been an invaluable app albeit that it can appear to be a bit strict in some areas ie sugar intake since it calculates all sugars and not just the refined bad stuff also bear in mind that real fruit juices should be avoided too as they are full of easy accessed sugars. Eat the fruit instead ;)
You will find another thread on here that started out as my balloon diary that you may be interested in. Three of us (Rose Carol and i) had the balloon inserted at around the same time and use the thread as our sound board.
http://www.wlsurgery.com/other-wls-procedures/151051-countdown-balloon-launch.html
Good luck hun xx

I'm having a balloon on Tuesday I'm getting nervous, am I being hopeful because I've only taken Wednesday off work to recover do you feel really ill? I'm so glad I've found this forum because there isn't anything out there other than sales. Any info you can give me would be grateful

I'm having a balloon on Tuesday I'm getting nervous, am I being hopeful because I've only taken Wednesday off work to recover do you feel really ill? I'm so glad I've found this forum because there isn't anything out there other than sales. Any info you can give me would be grateful

Hiya,

I found it was a week before I felt better n I still have bad days :( I've had weird gastro like feeling the last week but I've put it down to the fact I've been traveling n my body is now out of wack :( but I do have good days n have lost 10kgs since my surgery about 3 weeks ago! So I'm super pleased!!!!!

I'd suggest taking at least the Thursday too just to make sure - you may b alright but if you don't have access to a bathroom quickly or the ability to rest for a few minutes it may be hard!

All the best though and GOOD LUCK!

Here's to be happy, healthy and HOT!

I want to go for it and get the balloon! I'm 31 years old with four children an unsupported hubby to be! I'm ready! I live in co. Wicklow about an hour from Dublin and need advice on were to get it and prices? I don't think I'd mind traveling as it's not as invasive as other types of surgery! I know it's a tool a tool I need and will work with. I was 16 stone 5 pound last Jan I'm now 14 stone 7 a bmi of 31 I'm 5"7 and have stopped losing weight these last few months need help in the form of balloon!

Back