• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Spoke to hospital and op been put back so I'm gutted!!!

Nic318

Post-op Gastric Bypass
Hi Everybody

I thought I'd start a new thread today which will be my journey from now on to a new me I hope.

I go for my first appointment with the consultant tomorrow and am really looking forward to it ;)

Hopefully things will get moving now but I know after tomorrow it will be the waiting game again until I receive a date for the op and then a countdown to the actual operation. It's the unknown that bugs you isn't it. At least today I'm on a sort of countdown but I know I just have to be patient.

Anyway hope your all doing great and I'll post more after the appointment.

xx

Last edited:
Hi Nic

Im glad your on the path you have been waiting for. may i ask what your having done. Then maybe i can give a little support as ,im sometimes a bag of fun and also a serious book worm to knowledge :D

Hiya

I'm not sure which operation he will suggest for me but I am hoping for the gastric bypass to be honest after reading up on them both.

Got a few questions I want to ask him tomorrow and one of them is "How long will I have to wait" lol xx

Well i hope all goes well.

I may be able to help you there. One seen by the consultant they normally get you in for the op within the year. mine was about 10 months. And that will be based on how well you do with there interviews. Ill give some tips

1. Be honest with them
2. Dont be affraid to talk about your weight or why you got to where you are.
3. make sure they know your very upset and depressed with the way you are .
4. If they ask you to do something do it with conviction and beat their times they think you will do it in.
5. Always turn up for the appointments ( not if you cant for unknown reasons )
6. When they ask you to lose weight by going on the milk diet tell them YES no problem . i want my life to turn around i will do your 5% total wieght loss in 2 weeks ( they normaly think it takes about 4 ) And when you start it . its going to be the horrible time drinking 4 pints of milk aday. but exercise all you can get the 5% off in 2 weeks. The day of the weigh in dont drink or eat and wee as much as possible so you do it.
At that point they will be impressed and make a appointment for you to have your operation , and may even get you in for a late cancelation .

They love conviction and when they see you work for your goal they will bend over backward to help.

It will seem a long raod but it will come and its worth it.
Ill keep my fingers crossed for you.

Oooh Mark thanks so much.

To be honest I'm not really worried about having to do the pre-op diet. I did the Lighter Life diet for 9 weeks and I don't like shakes, the soups were minging and the bars made me sick so a lot of the time I had 1 or 2 "shakes" made with a little water and drank the 4 litres of water a day and in one week I lost 18lb so that doesn't really worry me. And I love milk (is it semi-skimmed you can have) so would be happy with that and water.

When the lady spoke to me saying they had received my referral I asked her how long after the initial appointment would it be before I go the operation and she reckoned 2-3 months so I hoping and praying it will be in the summer sometime.

Can I ask you on the appointments you went to what were they for and what did they entail?

Thanks again Mark, you've been a great help xx

Hi Nic

Will be thinking of you today and good luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! keep thinking positively

XXXXX

Thanks very much Mandy

Will update you tomorrow xxx

How you feeling!!!!!!!!!!

Erm, been really busy last week and this week so I'm ok really, feel a bit apprehensive that they'll say No for some reason or other but on other hand feel quite excited so a mixture really.

How's u? Only a few weeks to go for you now isn't it xx

Yes I have got just over 2 weeks....... Excited but nervous.......... and have to admit scared, but cant wait for the first day of my new life to start

Good luck Nic, keep us updated on how your first appointment went. Can't wait to hear it all. Thinking of you.

Gerry
:)

Hi all

Thanks very much for your messages about my appointment it really is appreciated so much.

Here goes!

I went to see Mr Brough who is absolutely lovely and as I've mentioned earlier my Mum was a theatre sister and guess what ...... yes she knew him so she feels a lot happier too.

The appointment went well, and I asked him all the questions I wanted to ask and felt very re-assured about everything, I was ok until I was waiting to see him then got very nervous but I felt so at ease when I met him and the nurses, they were all lovely.

Anyway, he has agreed to do the surgery (big sigh of relief there) and I will be having the gastric bypass. He said he had seen 5 people that day who had had the gastric band and they were having problems (not done at that hospital I should point out) and he was having to take of the band and was going to revert it to the bypass for them. (I don't want to put anybody off if they are going for the band, just advising what my consultant told me).

He said only 30% of people who have the band manage to lose the weight they want to and keep it off. I had already decided that I wanted the bypass so it was relatively easy. He agreed that I had made the right decision so I asked him how long it will be and he said 2-3 months!!

I also asked about the pre-op diet and the one they do is drinking Bovril (yuk!) and eating sugar free jelly. I said could I not just have water instead of Bovril and they said yes of course.

So all in all I feel a lot happier knowing that its definite now that I will be getting the op and now just waiting for the next stage.

How are all of you doing?

Mandy - I know you must be nervous its only natural but if I can help in any way at all I will do hun.

Gerry - lovely to hear from you always love reading your posts to me and on other threads.

Cherry - I was going to email you yesterday too, wondered how you were getting on.

Speak to you all soon and any questions give me a shout xx

Hi nic . im soo glad it went well and that your dont have to wait long . Its such a nice feeling i bet your ove rthe moon.
You mentioned bovril i must admit its yuk . but have you tried oxo one cube in a cup with water. I didnt lik ethe beef as it was a bit like bovril but the veggie one was like a soup. maybe try it when you get the feeling you need someone with some flavor and hot.

But anyway BUG GRATZ your on the road

When you get closer ill try and explain some things i feel everyone should know so you know what to expect so you dont get scred like i did :p

Speak soon

Hi nic . im soo glad it went well and that your dont have to wait long . Its such a nice feeling i bet your ove rthe moon.
You mentioned bovril i must admit its yuk . but have you tried oxo one cube in a cup with water. I didnt lik ethe beef as it was a bit like bovril but the veggie one was like a soup. maybe try it when you get the feeling you need someone with some flavor and hot.

But anyway BUG GRATZ your on the road

When you get closer ill try and explain some things i feel everyone should know so you know what to expect so you dont get scred like i did :p

Speak soon

Thanks Mark for the tip and maybe I will try that cos I won't be touching Bovril thats for sure. And in answer to your question yeah I'm really excited now.

I'll obviously keep you all updated and already feel that I have some lovely new friends on here especially you Mark, Gerry, Mandy and Cherrypips xx

Hiya Nic

Im soooo happy for you and your Gastric Bypass surgery, I bet you are soooooo exited.
I bet you can immagine how I felt when I went to see my surgeon and he refused to do me a bypass at this stage because of my asthma, we do still plan to have the bypass, but I do seem to be doing well with the band, Im 9 days post-op and I have lost over 1 stone since the op and over 2 stone since starting the pre-op diet.

I bet you cant wait for that date to be given, well done you, the 2 to 3 months will fly.

Nessa xxx

Hiya Nic

Im soooo happy for you and your Gastric Bypass surgery, I bet you are soooooo exited.
I bet you can immagine how I felt when I went to see my surgeon and he refused to do me a bypass at this stage because of my asthma, we do still plan to have the bypass, but I do seem to be doing well with the band, Im 9 days post-op and I have lost over 1 stone since the op and over 2 stone since starting the pre-op diet.

I bet you cant wait for that date to be given, well done you, the 2 to 3 months will fly.

Nessa xxx

Hi Nessa

I can imagine how you felt but you are doing really well and he wanted to do the best for you and pick the best option for now to make sure your safe and well.

I am excited yes and now believe it will happen so I just can't wait to start my new life. Glad to hear your doing well and always good to hear from you xxx

Back