• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

St Richards and Waiting Times

Spikeyjaycee

Hi all,
I emailed Christine yesterday about how long it was likely to be before I heard from the hospital about a timescale for my op and this is what she's replied:

You will be sent a letter from your appt with the clinical psychologists
in the first instance. Unfortunately I cannot book your surgery for
November as I have to book by strick date order. I will contact you once
I have a date for you I am sorry I cannot be more specific at the
moment.

Does anyone know what this means? Can the clinical psychologists make a decision as to refuse me surgery, even at this late stage? I am getting really uptight about this now!!:sigh:

The psychologists in theory could stop surgery if they were concerned that you had problems/issues that could 'sabotage' any surgery. But I wonder if they are simply waiting for an update of your appointment (you have seen the psychologist haven't you?).

I think this is rare though, I have only ever heard about this once before.

I was also hoping for November surgery, but it seems that the funding isn't even in place yet, so I am probably looking at next year now:(

The waiting is frustrating isn't it - I have been besides myself the past few weeks, hard to think about anything else...

Hope you hear soon.

The psychologists in theory could stop surgery if they were concerned that you had problems/issues that could 'sabotage' any surgery. But I wonder if they are simply waiting for an update of your appointment (you have seen the psychologist haven't you?).

I think this is rare though, I have only ever heard about this once before.

I was also hoping for November surgery, but it seems that the funding isn't even in place yet, so I am probably looking at next year now:(

The waiting is frustrating isn't it - I have been besides myself the past few weeks, hard to think about anything else...

Hope you hear soon.

Hi babyflower
Well I saw the psychologist on 18 August and she was confident I would be ok. My funding was approved way back in July 2008! I've had the appointments with the dietician, anaethtist and psychologist etc and was told by the dietician November looked likely to be 'operation month'. Now I am seriously worried it won't be till next year now! Has anyone else had such a long waiting time too?

Hi babyflower
Well I saw the psychologist on 18 August and she was confident I would be ok. My funding was approved way back in July 2008! I've had the appointments with the dietician, anaethtist and psychologist etc and was told by the dietician November looked likely to be 'operation month'. Now I am seriously worried it won't be till next year now! Has anyone else had such a long waiting time too?

If the psychologist said ok, then seems weird that you are not on active list - lots of people have had very long waits, but it IS worth the wait, doesn't help the feelings of angst and frustration though...

My case is a little different as I am a revision, but even so, I can't understand what is holding things up for you - hope you hear soon.

Thanks Babyflower - must admit I've been very down today about it and then I read of poor Mandy and wonder why I'm complaining!

If the psych's told you that you were fine then I would'nt worry too much. It is a long painful wait but you will get there. Just have faith that your op will be soon and don't be down heartened by the secretary.Some of these peeps are so up them selfs that I'm convinced they have great pleasure in keep knocking our spirits lol. Good luck sweetheartxx

pyschologists, lists, 18 weeks etc

Hi Spikeyjaycee,
I saw the pysch (Sevim) who was really really lovely back in June. She said I was find for surgery, At that point she said to me that I was due for surgery by August 20th (!) that by the way hasnt happened. I was then told at the beginning of July that I am now on the active waiting list because I have now had all my appointments and they all agree that I'm down for the correct surgery.
I spoke with the 'charming' (?) Christine at St Richards on Friday 4th Sept and when I asked her if because I was on 'active list' did it mean that I was going to have surgery within 18 weeks of going on that list. She told me that it wasn't how the lists worked (well how the hell do they work - I still think she picks names out of a hat personally - lol) and so I too am left up in the air waiting.
Just for notes, my initial referral was sent by my doctors in January 2009 but apparently not received by St Richards until March. So that gives you a timescale for me.
I was also told (as I've previously mentioned) that I have to be operated on by January at the latest by St Richards.
It a clear case still that they don't have direct and clear guidelines for patients. A lot of us are coming from different funding areas, so maybe that means that it depends on how the different areas set up the funding (I do know that mine is approved).
I think things will happen for us all when they do, and I know its easy to say, because we are all sooo anxious and just want the op over and done with, but we need to chill.
I'm really hoping that you get a date soon. Maybe I'll be joining you because (I think from what I can remember reading)we have similar waiting dates etc.
Are you finding that because you are in such limbo you don't want to book too many dates ahead or make appointments?

good question how does it work?? silly whatsit she is.
i saw same physch as you she was lovely. ive seen a few team members now and they are all as different as the guidelines! xx

Hi Spikeyjaycee,
I saw the pysch (Sevim) who was really really lovely back in June. She said I was find for surgery, At that point she said to me that I was due for surgery by August 20th (!) that by the way hasnt happened. I was then told at the beginning of July that I am now on the active waiting list because I have now had all my appointments and they all agree that I'm down for the correct surgery.
I spoke with the 'charming' (?) Christine at St Richards on Friday 4th Sept and when I asked her if because I was on 'active list' did it mean that I was going to have surgery within 18 weeks of going on that list. She told me that it wasn't how the lists worked (well how the hell do they work - I still think she picks names out of a hat personally - lol) and so I too am left up in the air waiting.
Just for notes, my initial referral was sent by my doctors in January 2009 but apparently not received by St Richards until March. So that gives you a timescale for me.
I was also told (as I've previously mentioned) that I have to be operated on by January at the latest by St Richards.
It a clear case still that they don't have direct and clear guidelines for patients. A lot of us are coming from different funding areas, so maybe that means that it depends on how the different areas set up the funding (I do know that mine is approved).
I think things will happen for us all when they do, and I know its easy to say, because we are all sooo anxious and just want the op over and done with, but we need to chill.
I'm really hoping that you get a date soon. Maybe I'll be joining you because (I think from what I can remember reading)we have similar waiting dates etc.
Are you finding that because you are in such limbo you don't want to book too many dates ahead or make appointments?

Hi teapot!
I saw Janet the psychologist in August but it was Denise the dietician who told me November was likely for the operation. Now I don't mean to disrespect you but, if we're playing by the rules as it were, my funding was approved 6 months before you (July 2008) so I should be way ahead of you in the waiting list. Yet you saw Sevim in June? This what i mean by lack of continuity by the administration. As I said, I don't want to offend anyone - it just doesn't seem fair. I had my heart set on August for the op, then I thought November, now I'm starting to think 2010 is the earliest. Trouble is, I am getting desperate for this op now - I have started putting weight back on, I can't get around, I'm depressed about it all, and just want some clarification of WHAT IS HAPPENING!!!!
Sorry for shouting - just had to get it off my chest. :cry:

Hi teapot!
I saw Janet the psychologist in August but it was Denise the dietician who told me November was likely for the operation. Now I don't mean to disrespect you but, if we're playing by the rules as it were, my funding was approved 6 months before you (July 2008) so I should be way ahead of you in the waiting list. Yet you saw Sevim in June? This what i mean by lack of continuity by the administration. As I said, I don't want to offend anyone - it just doesn't seem fair. I had my heart set on August for the op, then I thought November, now I'm starting to think 2010 is the earliest. Trouble is, I am getting desperate for this op now - I have started putting weight back on, I can't get around, I'm depressed about it all, and just want some clarification of WHAT IS HAPPENING!!!!
Sorry for shouting - just had to get it off my chest. :cry:
oh god julie im so sorry darling.
i feel dreadful now:cry:

hi guys st richards is great hospital when you get on ward! Its such a shame the admin lets them down and christine Bigg is so miserable and she is the face/voice of st richards. I waited 15months from 1st visit to GP to surgery and when i was in a girl reckons she waited on 3.5months so who knows i think its right that they just pick names at random. The system needs a good shake up.

Good luck to everyone who is waiting hope you hear soon.

hi everyone i found calling my pct an getting them to call for you helps, they seem to be very shocked when they realise after earmarking the funds they not been used yet good luck everyone xxxxx

hi debbiejane
thanks for that if i dont hear by end of next week that exactly what i shall do. i emailed yesterday and got what was probably for her a brill reply. so we shall see. god help her! xx

Well I'm off to my GP tomorrow to get my BP checked and I'm gonna ask him to contact the hospital to see if he can get a straight answer cos I sure as hell can't!!!

oh god julie im so sorry darling.
i feel dreadful now:cry:

Now I'm confused which Julie me, (teapot) or the other one. If its me (Teapot) then its ok I'm not offended (except by the sour lemon they have as a secretary at St richards that is:eek:). We are all just so desperate to get it all over and done with.:cry: The administration at St Richards is just a standing joke (obviously not for those of us waiting and waiting)

What makes this worse for me is when I was offered the funding for the op, I was given a great long list of hospitals to choose from 10 of the london hospitals and St Richards and guess what, I plumped for the one closest to home - duh! :(I think that was a bit flipping daft. Now I see friends and colleagues at work who are having this op done (or similar ones) overtaking me on the timescales because they went to the London Hospitals. :mad:

Don't worry guys - no offence taken by anyone.

We are all being flipping messed around.

I did think it was just me who was maybe hearing things that I wanted to hear when I went for my appointments but I am SO glad its not that I'm hearing stuff but that we have all been given false hope and suffered at the hands of the bad administration.

Let's hope we all benefit from the hands of the skilful surgeons very very soon at St. Richards (before Christmas this year 2009!):D

Cheer up guys - only about 16 weeks to go to Christmas :wave_cry:

I know the wait is hard, BUT after my first experience at a london hospital, believe me it IS worth waiting for. The team at St Richards are second to none (which is why there is such a long wait!). Personally I would rather wait a few extra (nail-bitingly frustrating) months and have my op with Shaw Somers than have to go through what I did.

I just wish the admin team would get organised...

Back