• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

St Richards, Chichester.

ditzeeblonde

Wow.. I have my first appointment at St Richards on friday, have to plan on being there for the whole day.

Can anyone give me a rough idea as to what to expect please?

Having been really nervous about if I should follow this route I'm now really excited about having this appointment!

Is this usual to be Yes I want this one minute & No I don't the next??

Completely normal! :D

It's such a life changing decision so you're bound to swing from one decision to another. I did even when I was on my pre-op diet! I was losing weight so thought why put myself through major surgery, before remembering that I've not been able to maintain weight loss over the last 10 years.

I can't help with what to expect Friday I'm afraid as I'm not a patient of St Richard's, but want to wish you good luck with it xx

It's such a life changing decision so you're bound to swing from one decision to another. I did even when I was on my pre-op diet! I was losing weight so thought why put myself through major surgery, before remembering that I've not been able to maintain weight loss over the last 10 years.

Thank you so much Twiggie..

Thats exactly the thoughts I've been having.. I've done so well this year but I've had several years like this before. I'm a complete professional at losing weight I'm just so dreadful at keeping it off!!

I'm looking forward to find out more & being able to express all of these things to the professionals!

Thanks again... you've always offered such great advice on my posts. xxx

Can't help much I'm afraid as I'm not anywhere near that PCT, although I'm sure someone will be along soon to advise. With regard to emotions, yes, just as Twiggie says, perfectly normal as this is a big thing. Even though I'm back on track now myself (even though it's only been a week & I don't even know when my op is yet), as Twiggie also said, just because I'm being good now, doesn't mean I'll stay that way & I'm sure you can say the same about yourself! You'll be fine...it's another step closer to a new you! xxx

Hi Ditzee,

I am having my surgery at St. Richards on 7th July, at my first (only) appointment I had to see the dietician, anaesthetist, surgeon, psycologist and the nurse. Basically they weighed me, talked to me about the surgical options and asked if I knew which surgery I wanted. All of this was done in the morning and then after a 2 hour break for lunch I had to go back for a decision as to whether they would do the op.

1. Shaw Somers just wanted to know what I had researched and which op I preferred to have and explained a little about the different options - he did tell me that they dont offer the sleeve as a first time option though.

2. The psycologist wanted to know why I was fat and why I want the surgery - she then showed me some photos of excess skin etc to see if I was aware that could happen to me.

3. The dietician explained what size meals I would have to eat after an op and what sorts of foods I will need to eat.

4. The anaesthetist basically wanted to know any allergies I had and to make sure I am fit to go under as such.

They were all really nice and easy going and made me feel very at ease.
1 week after this appointment they called me to give me my op date!

I think everyone at some time or another doubts they are doing the right thing but I really do think its the fear of the unknown coming into play - I have moments as I am getting nearer to the surgery when I think "I dont wanna do it!" but for me thats mainly because I'm a wimp and dont like the idea of any op. I hope this info helps Ditzee

xxxx

you will see the surgeon, anesthetist, special nurse, dietician and psychiatrist in the morning and then after lunch yo9u will see the surgeon again and he will tell you what course of treatment you will receive, ie band or by pass if suitable.

They are lovely at Chichester and will be very kind and understanding. Don't worry you will be fine.

Thanks guys... I'm actually really excited about it which has suprised me considering how I've been feeling recently & the more that I think it could be really happening the more excited I'm becoming.

Hopefully I'll feel the same come friday eve. x

Wow, what an easy & straightforward process at St Richard's!! I wish all hospitals did that. I ended up travelling down to London on NINE separate occasions for various appts prior to my surgery!!

At £30 a time in rail fares plus staying overnight in a hotel 3-4 times, it soon adds up!!

its only recently they have started doing that

Back