• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

St. Richards hospital? Choosing hospitals..

TJG22

Hello,

I have just finished Tier 3 (NHS) and have just recieved a letter with a choice of hospitals.. as St. Richards in Chichester is closest to me I think that will be my choice.. has anybody else had their surgery there? If so could you tell me a little about the experience? Also what surgery did you opt for? I have done a lot of research but I still can't quite decide between the Sleeve and the Bypass.. Excuse me if I seem vague/nervous I never write on forums etc lol.. I'm a 22 year old female and very anxious but excited about the whole thing. I have just finished 6 months of Tier 3, dieticians, exercise programme, counselling etc.

I hope to hear from somebody soon :) x

slimkim

Welcome to the forum. If you search St Richards you'll find a few threads here on that hospital. Good luck.

Irene44

Hello,

I have just finished Tier 3 (NHS) and have just recieved a letter with a choice of hospitals.. as St. Richards in Chichester is closest to me I think that will be my choice.. has anybody else had their surgery there? If so could you tell me a little about the experience? Also what surgery did you opt for? I have done a lot of research but I still can't quite decide between the Sleeve and the Bypass.. Excuse me if I seem vague/nervous I never write on forums etc lol.. I'm a 22 year old female and very anxious but excited about the whole thing. I have just finished 6 months of Tier 3, dieticians, exercise programme, counselling etc.

I hope to hear from somebody soon :) x
Hi and welcome to the forum. It fabulous place to be. You will definitely get some advice I’m sure. I’m at the other end of the country so can’t really help sorry. Please keep posting be lovely to follow your journey xx

Sarnie

Hello and welcome, I hope you find what you need on here. Even if we are not in the same area, you can still ask questions :)

Bling Babe

Welcome and good luck, as Kim says searching the forum will get you some advice, I’m sorry I was at Luton and Dunstable but wanted to wish you luck xx

TJG22

Hello all, thankyou for your replies and making me feel welcome :) I shall definitely keep you all updated, and i will check out other threads about st richards its just when i looked before most of them were over 8 years old etc i was hoping for some recent incase things have changed etc but it shall still be interesting im sure! Can people tell me what surgery you opted for and why that specific one? Thankyou guys xxx

Irene44

Originally I was going to have a Sleeve for financial reasons (cheaper). But after having a scope I had to have a bypass. Was a struggle post op for the first week, but it’s gets better after then xx

Sarnie

Hello all, thankyou for your replies and making me feel welcome :) I shall definitely keep you all updated, and i will check out other threads about st richards its just when i looked before most of them were over 8 years old etc i was hoping for some recent incase things have changed etc but it shall still be interesting im sure! Can people tell me what surgery you opted for and why that specific one? Thankyou guys xxx
I'm hoping to have RNY Bypass because 1. My BMI is so high it'll give me the best chance of shifting the most weight and 2. Because I see so many people having a revision from Sleeve to Bypass, that I don't want to have to chance having a 2nd op and also would probably have to fight to get it. xx

slimkim

I chose to have the sleeve because I already have issues absorbing iron and the bypass works partly by mal-absorbtion of food so its no good for my system. I wanted the hunger element removed and to have restricted amounts of foods.

TJG22

Thankyou all for your replies, I think bypass would be best for me as its the most weight loss and most restriction (so i've heard) yet the thought of my organs being rerouted freaks me out a little lol. Also, with the bypass.. do you have to take any medications for life after? Vitamins? Thankyou xx

Irene44

Thankyou all for your replies, I think bypass would be best for me as its the most weight loss and most restriction (so i've heard) yet the thought of my organs being rerouted freaks me out a little lol. Also, with the bypass.. do you have to take any medications for life after? Vitamins? Thankyou xx

Yes you do have to take meds hun for life xx

Bling Babe

Yes you have to take multi vitamins and minerals daily, iron daily, calcium daily and B12 jab every 12 weeks, and in my case Senna a few times a week, all of these is because the bypass works by having a small pouch and by malabsorption of nutrients x

Potnoodle88

Hiya. I had to check if it was me that had written this post as it’s exaxtly my story! I’ve just finished tier 3 as well and I received my list of hospitals and I also picked chichester. Im also torn between sleeve and bypass. It would be nice to have someone to talk to whilst we go through the same thing!

Sarnie

Hiya. I had to check if it was me that had written this post as it’s exaxtly my story! I’ve just finished tier 3 as well and I received my list of hospitals and I also picked chichester. Im also torn between sleeve and bypass. It would be nice to have someone to talk to whilst we go through the same thing!
Good luck on your journey x

TJG22

Aww bless you its nerve wracking stuff isnt it! How old are you if you dont mind me asking? I'm slightly scared as I havent seen many people my age go through this lol. Definitely stay in touch! xxx

Potnoodle88

Aww bless you its nerve wracking stuff isnt it! How old are you if you dont mind me asking? I'm slightly scared as I havent seen many people my age go through this lol. Definitely stay in touch! xxx
I’m 30. I’ve been to the doctors for the last 10 years asking for this so I know exactly how you feel. I’ve just found a Chichester support group on Facebook. Its been very useful.

Attachments

• 55FA569E-1B8C-4928-A50F-DA40FFD4AA3E.png
    55FA569E-1B8C-4928-A50F-DA40FFD4AA3E.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 2

TJG22

Oh god 10 years?! Bless you I've been doing it for nearly 3 now, initially I was referred straight to chichester, I had an app for MDT but unfortunately my best friend whom I was very very close to died very suddenly just before and my mindset was completely elsewhere and I missed the appointment and by the time I tried to rebook they told me the Tier 3 programme was now compulsary in my area so I had to do atleast 6 months of that first.. and now here I am. I rang and told them st richards and they said the referral can take up to 6 weeks. Just hoping I hear something soon! I am too a member of this group yet i dont post or comment because im very shy lol and there are a few people i know from my area on it and as silly as it sounds im not ready for anybody other than close family and friends to know about any of it. Does that make sense? xx

Potnoodle88

Oh god 10 years?! Bless you I've been doing it for nearly 3 now, initially I was referred straight to chichester, I had an app for MDT but unfortunately my best friend whom I was very very close to died very suddenly just before and my mindset was completely elsewhere and I missed the appointment and by the time I tried to rebook they told me the Tier 3 programme was now compulsary in my area so I had to do atleast 6 months of that first.. and now here I am. I rang and told them st richards and they said the referral can take up to 6 weeks. Just hoping I hear something soon! I am too a member of this group yet i dont post or comment because im very shy lol and there are a few people i know from my area on it and as silly as it sounds im not ready for anybody other than close family and friends to know about any of it. Does that make sense? xx

Yeh I completely get that. I am too wondering how many people I actually want to know about my situation. But then I think if I suddenly lose 10 stone they might ask how and I don’t want to lie. It’s difficult isn’t it. Initially when I went to the doctors years ago they just didn’t want to refer me. They sent me to weight watchers and did everything they could to not refer me. Then a few years later they introduced the tier 3 which they put me on which I was on for 2 years before being referred as I got pregnant so had to just keep going to appointments! What’s your name on fb il add you so we can chat x