• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Stalling (?) and first exercise

Bally

It's two weeks now that my weight loss has slowed down dramatically. I've only lost about 1kg. per week. :cry:
6 week post op I've lost 10.7kg. but I was starting from a relative low BMI (under 40) and had already lost 3.9kg. on my pre op diet.
I'm not panicking and decided to start exercising.
This morning I went walking and came back home panting (literally) after only 2.5km. :cry:
I'm on a 600 calorie diet as per nutritionist's guidelines and really don't feel fit to exercise more than that.
I'm always eating proteins first.
Does anybody else still feel weak after 6 weeks post op?
How were you managing exercise at this stage?
Is a 1kg./week weight loss to be considered a stall?
Sorry for the many questions but really need to understand if I'm missing some clue to weight loss. :sigh:

It's two weeks now that my weight loss has slowed down dramatically. I've only lost about 1kg. per week. :cry:
6 week post op I've lost 10.7kg. but I was starting from a relative low BMI (under 40) and had already lost 3.9kg. on my pre op diet.
I'm not panicking and decided to start exercising.
This morning I went walking and came back home panting (literally) after only 2.5km. :cry:
I'm on a 600 calorie diet as per nutritionist's guidelines and really don't feel fit to exercise more than that.
I'm always eating proteins first.
Does anybody else still feel weak after 6 weeks post op?
How were you managing exercise at this stage?
Is a 1kg./week weight loss to be considered a stall?
Sorry for the many questions but really need to understand if I'm missing some clue to weight loss. :sigh:

1kg a week is excellent and definitely not a stall. If you're lacking energy walking is great exercise.

Bally your doing great im six weeks from this tues and I havent lost anything since my sleeve op :( but dietitian hastold me not to worry my body will adjust when its ready. Im not very mobile due to other health issues but I have recently been more active and I managed to do aqua fit last week which I thoroughly enjoyed albeit having to bad fatigue days that followed but I was tired for a reason :). Good luck hun and keep up ur good work :)

Hi Bally,

I had a sleeve 18 weeks ago and including per op I lost 50 lbs so far. I'm losing rather slowly, too. But my bmi was 38 when I started so my surgeon told me to expect a slow weight loss. But there're weeks where I don't lose or even gain one or two pounds. It is frustrating and I have hard time sometimes not comparing my weight loss with other people here in this forum. But I just keep going. Eating small portions, eating protein first and walking at least half an hour a day. Good luck and keep us posted.

Bally your doing great im six weeks from this tues and I havent lost anything since my sleeve op :( but dietitian hastold me not to worry my body will adjust when its ready. Im not very mobile due to other health issues but I have recently been more active and I managed to do aqua fit last week which I thoroughly enjoyed albeit having to bad fatigue days that followed but I was tired for a reason :). Good luck hun and keep up ur good work :)

Sorry to hear you still have not started loosing and that my whining post may have upsetted you, rickysmrs. Hope your body will soon adjust to your new stomach.
And thanks, everybody, for your wonderful support.

Hi Bally my weight loss is quite slow too. I still have very little energy but I think the key is to take it slowly at first. I am going to try swimming in a couple of weeks xx

Hiya Bally! I think your doing amazing! All them kg's add up!! I've lost 25lb since my op, 6 weeks ago which is slow considering I lost 11 in my first week! At first I was gutted when I wasn't loosing, or loosing a 1lb here n there but now I think ya know what? My body HAS to loose it, I'm eating less than my 17 month old, it has no choice! So I'm looking on the positive side and feeling better about myself in clothes rather than on the scales! I'm 4stone down now with my pre op loss, and that's only since jan so I'm feeling great! I haven't done any more exercise than normal, but am starting to feel better now so will deffo be starting! I have my 6 week check up tomorrow with the consultant so will see what he says! Chin up chick, this time next year u will be looking back wondering what you were worried over :) xxx

Feeling tired is normal, IMO, it's certainly always worked that way for me.

Because you are cutting out the easy-burning sources of fuel (starch, ethanol, sugars), your body has to use up the hard-burning ones, that is the fat, and that uses up more energy.

When I was doing low-carb properly, I found that Vit B12 was the solution for me and you can get in spray form now, couple of sprays under the tongue twice a day, works wonders for me. (not saying it will help others, mind you, but maybe worth a shot?)

Feeling tired is normal, IMO, it's certainly always worked that way for me.

Because you are cutting out the easy-burning sources of fuel (starch, ethanol, sugars), your body has to use up the hard-burning ones, that is the fat, and that uses up more energy.

When I was doing low-carb properly, I found that Vit B12 was the solution for me and you can get in spray form now, couple of sprays under the tongue twice a day, works wonders for me. (not saying it will help others, mind you, but maybe worth a shot?)

You are probably right: it's hard-burning material!
As for vitamin B12, I'm already supplementing it at 100% in the multi my team prescribed.

I feel better today.
Maybe I shouldn't waste so much time thinking during week ends. LOL

I was a bit like you. But now 13 months later and at target I can see that your body does things when it's ready. I still have good and bd times with tiredness and still eat MUCH less than my children but I am wearing a size 8 blouse today rather than the 22 I once did.
I started at BMI of over 40, on day of op it was 38 and now it is 22. You will get there.

I had a bypass 4th May 2012.

Kelly, I wish I could be more positive I really do when it comes to skin. But... I can't.

I really hoped that with a relatively small amount to loose compared to others, I would get away lightly with it and some how my skin would retract as I lost the weight. I can dream.

When I was big, people would never, unless really stupid, think of I took my clothes off I was a size 10 underneath. I was relatively happy with my body and could walk around naked without worrying too much. Now it is totally different. I am a size 10 but would never walk around with no clothes on. It looks like someone blew the balloon up and let the air out. My skin looks like the saggy, stretched plastic that is left behind.

Realistically I need a full fleur de Lys tummy tuck, boob uplift and implants and the enormous amount of excess skin on my thighs taken away. On the other hand the NHS wouldn't grant it me and there is no way I could afford it so my hope is that I get my tummy sorted.

I think I am most self conscious about my thighs. I am gob smacked just how much excess weight and skin I have there but the scars that the op leave are not pretty either. I have the fact that I am at goal logged with my Gp and will try to start pushing them to refer me to plastics for the New Year.

What about you. Do you think you will end up with much excess Kelly?

I've only lost 15.2kg from pre op and already would need an arm lift! They really do look terrible and there's no way I could wear sleeveless tops.
In Italy, NHS usually passes arms, tummy, tights and boob reduction (no implants) but you can only be referred after one whole year after achieving target weight (and for one op at the time) and then there are very long waiting lists.
And, last but not least, I've been reading experiences around and it seems to me that arms plastics can be very very painful.

I have had the same issues with weight stalling. I was told by my dietician that weight loss is not linear and it perfectly normal to experience stalls in weight loss. But I did find out that I was constipated not to the extent where I wasn't going at all. But not as much as I should. Because we have smaller a stomach post op there is a reduction of food going in. Which leads to (I'm sorry to be so crude about) smaller volume coming out too. I didn't think anything of it as I on the puree phase at the time, Till doctor gave me Lactulose and problem was solved. Hope this helps guys

Thanks Tazz.
I've tried lactulose and it certainly works but I want to discuss it with my dietician (next appointment July, 2nd) because I've read that lactulose uses far too much body fluids to work and my fluid's intake is still quite low for the hot season.
I'm now trying psyllium husk that is said to work more gently.

Thanks Tazz.
I've tried lactulose and it certainly works but I want to discuss it with my dietician (next appointment July, 2nd) because I've read that lactulose uses far too much body fluids to work and my fluid's intake is still quite low for the hot season.
I'm now trying psyllium husk that is said to work more gently.

I didn't know that, thanks for the information Bally. Yeah it is getting warm now. Recently I haven't been taking on fluids like I was, I'm finding hard to get fluid and food down. (not at the same time) But I'm struggling with wind getting trapped again, so I don't want anything, after eating Any ideas?

Back