• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Stalling very soon after op

paddyp

Hi all

Bypass 2.5 weeks ago. Feeling great. However, I seem to have hit a stall. Lost a stone first week and then 2lb next day but nothing since. Scales have stayed the same for about a week now and whilst I know it's inevitable to have a stall, I didn't expect one so early one. Any advice please?

The thing is you are doing brilliant, look at what you have written, a stone in a week is fantastic!!! Best this is to only weigh once a week and stick with it, you are doing absolutely fine.

Its not a stall its your body trying to readjust to the huge changes forced on it!!!

Good luck

A stone in a week?! Your body just needs to catch up. One thing you need on this journey is patience. It's not a race, you'll get there.

Hi all

Bypass 2.5 weeks ago. Feeling great. However, I seem to have hit a stall. Lost a stone first week and then 2lb next day but nothing since. Scales have stayed the same for about a week now and whilst I know it's inevitable to have a stall, I didn't expect one so early one. Any advice please?

From what I have read and experienced with the balloon this is so normal. I hit my first two week stall in my third week. I had the dramatic weight loss then zilch...This is where knowing your preop measurements come in handy because you will probably find that the inches are still coming off even though the scales arent showing it. According to my dietician your body is now in starvation mode and instead of burning off its vital fat stores it is burning off any excess expendable muscle you have. This loss is usually off the thigh and arm muscle ... The bits we don't pay attention too ;)

Your doing a magnificent job Paddyp .. Well done :). X

Thanks both I know you are right. I suppose I am just fearful that I'll be the one person it doesn't work for!!

Thanks both I know you are right. I suppose I am just fearful that I'll be the one person it doesn't work for!!

I think you need to be a bit more than 2.5 weeks down the line before you worry about that! :)

I've been thinking exactly the same paddyp - I'm a few days ahead of you! - only 3 lb down in last 10 days but think everybody is right - too soon to call it a stall. I've struggled to get enough protein down too, and I think that maybe a cause, so am trying to up my protein today xx

I stalled at a similar point (sleeve, though) and have just had to learn, at 9 weeks out, to be patient and trust in my body and the process. My weight loss has been very start/stop/start - it's like a learner driver in a manual car!

Good luck x

Don't make me come round there and hide your scales paddyp!!

Your in this for the long haul so be patient and in time you'll look back and be amazed at the weight loss.

Keep your chin up and carry on!

Hi don't focus on this stall. It's normal and you will find this happened often in the next few months. My weight was up and down but it comes down, and fast!!

My body clings on to my weight. I sympathise. I therefore focus on the loss over a longer period of time - not day to day, or even week to week. If I didn't do it that way I'd be so despondent and disillusioned with the bypass I'd feel it was a waste of everything I've been thru. One thing that pulls me together is the knowledge this is not 'normal' weight loss like I have been trying to achieve for most of my 50 years - so I'll let the science run its course, strong in the knowledge that unless I let it go disastrously wrong, every lb I lose is gone forever. I will never be that size 24 person again.

Also, post-op ladies/gents ... For the next few days M&S is running their 20% cardholder voucher promo. I was luckily enough to be given one by a friend ... Am doing some retail therapy to prove to myself my weight loss is pretty impressive, and taking advantage of the promo to look at the AW13 new stock that's come in and buying a few key pieces to take me into winter, and some noooo undies as things are getting a bit too big for me now. In the Spring I was searching for items in a 24, now an 18 fits. Am ordering a few really deep wintery bits in a 16 or even a 14. This is far more important to me than the scales!

Back