• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

start of journey

natclaire33)

Hi all i am new to this forum.

I am from Portsmouth and have been seeing my gp for a good few years about my weight.

A couple of years ago I was refered to and accepted on to the life morph programme which I did for twelve weeks and at the end of that period of time was accepted to do the programme for a further twelve weeks. at the end of it i had lost a total of 11 or 12lbs and it was considered a success.

Since stopping the programme the weight has all crept back on along with more. I saw my gp about six weeks ago and said about refering me to the hospital to have a chat with the bariatric surgeons but he said he couldn't do this, but he has referred me to the bariatric physician and have a appoinment with her in a couple of weeks and i have also been booked onto a surgery information session with a dietitian a month after seeing the doctor.

I have a bmi of 48 and am quite healthy. even though the gp thought i may be diabetic but had bloods done and am not thankfully.

I want to get the funding for surgery as i have been obeese for as long as i can remember i hope the process runs smoothly but am not sure if the appointment with the doctor is the start of the process for surgery or not any hints or comment welcome

I know my gp couldnt refer me to the surgeons without me doing the 12 weeks bodymorph programme. During this 12 weeks I saw the bariatric physician and she wrote to my gp recommending referral for surgery. Maybe because you did bodymorph before, your able to skip doing it again... hope so. good luck.

just a hi and welcome i again no nothing of that area but good luck

thanks for the comments, i have my first appointment with the physician on the 8th april so will hopefully get some answers and hopefully start the process rolling.

I will keep you all updated with my progress through the system

The appointment with the physician is this coming tuesday , i am starting to get nervous and affraid.

I am affraid as i don't want he to judge me and say you should have done this and that, and am nervous as i don't know what sought of questions i am going to be asked etc, people on here if you have seen the bariatric physician what sought of questions does she ask

We are all the same, we have all been scared and nervous but the surgeons and physicians are there to help and have chosen this speciality because they are interested and hopefully passionate!

Don't be scared, just go along and tell the truth. The truth is that we all need help and they are there to give it to us.

Shaw Somers was my surgeon and his team is fab. They are all on the south coast so I am sure you will end up with them. Good luck.

Hello and welcome. These people, barriatric team, are not there to judge u. They will ask about eating habbits etc. My gp put me on a similar program called tipping the balance...through that he referred me for surgery and funding.
I got bypassed last week ...14 months from starting tipping the balance.
I got done at Chichester with mr Hawkins. Everyone in his team was on my side. They were nice people who understood my food issues and hoe I got to be my size.
It's a long process but a life changing result. They are not there to catch u.out only to help u.
I wish u love and luck on ur journey. U will get therexxx

Thanks for that comment funny enough I work in the hospital where he does alot of his nhs and some private cases have also work with him at the week ends doing emergency operations, so he would be o e of the surgeons I would ask for if and when I get funding on the nhs. He has a great approach with patients when ever I have seen him at work.

I know some people I work with will judge me for doing this but it's a last resort for me

thanks for the comments so far, was talking to one of the nurses at work who sometimes does the bariatric lists and answered some questions i had and also said which surgeon she wanted if she ever had that type of surgery.

i am going to have a think over the week end of any questions and write them down ready to take with me on tuesday

Back