• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Refused funding from Trafford pct

Carrine

Hi all i'm new to this.
I was referred by my gp for G band with Trafford pct
I was point blank refused and i have bmi of 44 and i have weight related illness and high risk of diabetes and i have an underactive thyroid which is currently at the right level from medication.

There reason for refusal was bmi wasn't 50 and i haven't done the 'new' weight management programme!

What are my next steps i'm at my witts end with my weight problem

Are there any other routes i can take to avoid the year long weight programme?

carrine xx

I would get on the weight management programme first and take it from there,no matter what weight you are you have to do them before they will reconsider.

Thank you big an bouncy, i was referred to the wm over a yr ago but i was in Uni and on exams so it was not convenient.
Its a 13 weeks programme and then on the wm for 1 yr. I'm scared that i will end up too big for surgery. Plus i do not want to get any bigger and then they refuse me as I am still not guaranteed surgery upon completion of wm.
just so fed up with my battle with weight.

I am so sorry you were refused! I am waiting to hear from the PCT. My GP only referred me last week after telling me he would refer months ago. I hope you are able to get it one way or another.
I was reading a study saying they make their money back within 3-5 years by doing the surgery. There doesn't seem to be much forethought in the NHS.

Good Luck!!

I waited two and a half years for my surgery but in that time I reserched everything about it so I went in with all the onfo in place.I had no comorbs but a surgical problem that needed me to lose weight once and for all.My bmi wasnt quite enough and the doctor virtually told me to go away for three months and put on weight!My bmi went from 45 to 47 and he refered me and funding was accepted 6 weeks later!Crazy but true.

Thanks for the replies ladies.
Snow white - i'm sorry to hear about your troubles and i really hope you are lucky enough to get it :) good luck to you too :)
Big an Bouncy - how did you not get deflated about having to wait? I'd be double my size in 2 and a half yrs time.
i'm 21 and have been battling my weight for 10 yrs. My first diet was when i was in yr 6 of primary school .
I'm looking into saving up for private g-band and paying for it myself if worse comes to worst because a year is too long to be on wm and then refused as i will have to suffer a whole year of looking and feeling like i do now :(
Big an Bouncy - would you strongly recommend the band? has it been good to you? xx

snow white - i am sorry to hear of your battle too. I hope you get the funding and good luck with everything too :)
big an bouncy - has this been the best decision as in no regrets?

Thanks! I tried chasing them up to see where I am as far as the request for funding goes and got nowhere. So, I will see the gp again and find out if he has heard anything.

I know it's a long wait in the majority of pcts. I don't think there is any way of getting it done quicker unless you go private. That is totally not possible for me. But, I try to think that the hurdles are there for a reason. It's beyond frustrating, but in order to not go crazy I am trying to think that there is a time and place for everything. Lol I am trying to be zen about it all! Lol

So, I guess for now it's a case of jumping thru the PCT hoops and hope for the best. Good luck! I hope you get funding!

Back