• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Start of the journey - Derby Bypass

natashoorrr

Well well well!

My journey started on December 2011 when I received a letter to say I am being referred to 'Tier 3' which is operated by Derbyshire PCT. You are asked to attend and see a dietician, support worker and psychotherapist.

I initially completed a 12 week programme but didn't manage to loose any weight. I thought I would then be referred to surgery:sigh: however as my Dr had forgotten to tick a box, I had to be re-referred for surgery. I then had to complete an 8 week programme. I lost around a stone during this time (mainly because I knew I had to).

They then referred me back to my GP who passed on the referral to Derby Hospital.

This leads me to today, where I've just been to see Dr Ahmed and the dietician, for my initial consultation. He advised me that because of my hard work etc. he will put me on the list straight away which he will only do for less than 1% of patients.

He advised me that the waiting list is currently about a year because they have had an increase in cancer patients and because of winter there has been very few beds available. As i won't have the 3 month assessment period it should be more around 9 months. Now there is an end goal I don't mind waiting so much! (ask me again in 6 months and i'm sure i'll tell you i'm sick of waiting)

So hello to all you fellow waiting list people :D I am one of you now!!

angiemason

hi and well done getting funding , and being patient 9 months isn't so long really it's only 36 weeks :) take care and keep us informed if anything happens x any questions just ask someone will be able to answer for you xx

natashoorrr

Thanks so much! I am not really nervous at the moment but i'm sure as the day approaches I will be! How accurate was the wait list estimate for you?

chrisa

Hiyaa i was not a patient there but had my bypass in the North East, Iwas referred in summer of 2009, i had my 1st seminar in dec 09 finally got my op aug 2011, took me 2yrs altogether x worth the wait though but i did despair at times xx best of luck and hope a cancellation comes a long xx

natashoorrr

Me too! I don't know if they get many cancellations but I feel I will be waiting for some time yet before anything like that comes my way!

chrisa

WHY don't ya ring up ans ask if there are any cancellations would you be considered can only ask xx they happen especially around holiday time easter n summer xx

angiemason

I was turned down 3 Times before finally being accepted :) once I was accepted it was about 4 months from first consultation to op xxx there are quite a few people who get cancellations offered but I think you will still have to do pre op diet to shrink your liver first xxx they will tell you all about that when you speak to them :)

natashoorrr

I think that would just be a bonus! 4 months - That is so amazing. I am 23 and very impatient so it sort of feels like two battles - stop eating so much and try to be patient!!!

I've never had an operation before so I don't really know much about wait lists etc. but if they ring up in a few months and say jump, I will say how high!

How long were you guys in the hospital? and do you remember them taking the tube out of your mouth? I think I read once that it makes you gag :(

angiemason

I don't remember the tube coming out but I think they do it while your still under anaesthetic or just coming round and I have had quite e few ops , the time your in depends on what op and recovery and if you're eating drinking etc ok xxx I'd agree about the how high do what you can to help yourself xxx the 4 months after funding was a long time from when I first started on my road :) I had weight management sleep apnea tests and many others xxx

natashoorrr

Oh my life! I don't need the sleep apnoea tests after seeing the drs and dietician but if they make me then so be it! How long was it before you started to notice a weight loss? Ie clothes didnt fit? I love buying clothes so any excuse is a good excuse!

misshell

Hi there hun, im also in derby but had my surgery private in leicester as i didnt fit the criteria. I have lost 5 stone since my op 27th August and i have sooo much more energy i have dropped from a size 26/28 to a 20. You literaly start dropping weight from day 1 and its fab x

angiemason

i was 26/28 and now a year and month later am size 12/14 :) over 12 stone gone ,i really lost quite quickly in fact i didnt expect to lose so much so quickly ( not complaining) and i regularly hit the sale rails xx am sat today in leggings and a top which does not cover my bum :) i would never do that a year ago

natashoorrr

Yeah I must admit I won't wear anything that doesn't c

natashoorrr

Yeah I must admit I won't wear anything that doesn't cover my belly and bum! I can't wait to start losing weight. I don't care how much I spend on clothes because I have neer been able to do it!! I'm a 26 at the moment and 22st 3lbs. I am aiming for 10 stone!

angiemason

I was 22st 7lb now 10st 2lb :) don't want to lose any more really my neck/shoulder bones stick out a lot knees are boney and I've had my rings made 5 sizes smaller just have loose skin and tummy sticks out a bit from poor muscle control :) you have all this to look forward to now :) get your large sizes sold on eBay they go really well then you will have more money to bit lots and lots and lots etc of new ones xx

natashoorrr

I'm quite lucky in the fact that I still live at home but have a fairly well paid job - and no debts either! So I have quite a lot of disposable income which gets spent on food and the odd time i need clothes - So I am going to dedicate at least half of it to clothes :DI think my boyfriend is looking forward to that too! I dread to think how much of a confidence boost it will be... I'm not shy at all now so when i'm all sexy and thin... eek!

misshell

I'm quite lucky in the fact that I still live at home but have a fairly well paid job - and no debts either! So I have quite a lot of disposable income which gets spent on food and the odd time i need clothes - So I am going to dedicate at least half of it to clothes :DI think my boyfriend is looking forward to that too! I dread to think how much of a confidence boost it will be... I'm not shy at all now so when i'm all sexy and thin... eek!

Aww its so good that you are not shy hun im sure your boyfriend will reap the benefits too when you have lost weight chick :flirt2: