• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Starting from square one again! Which Op?

EmmaLouise81

Hi!

For those that do not know my story I have been big from childhood, tried every diet, tablet etc and decided last year to go for surgery.

I had a consultation booked with Mr Shaw Somers and had a complete emotional meltdown at the airport and I decided I could not fly.

I can not tell you what this did to me, I have been to hell and back from that day in September reaching lows I never thought possible.

Was referred to psychologist etc but did not work out...the root of my problems is my weight nothing else!

I am in my late 20's and I have M.E meaning exercise level is not that great. I need help...I only leave the house to go to family members home and I see no future as long as I am overweight.

So just yesterday I got talking to my mum and we decided that I could go to Dublin (The Hospital Group) which costs much more but means I do not need to fly.

I had originally wanted the band, but then thought the bypass would be better. I am afraid the band would not work for me but that alone is not the best reason for it.

I need to lose at least 10 stone and not sure how to make my decision...I know people say to talk about it with Surgeon but I am just afraid they will opt for bypass as it costs more...cynical I know!

My main problem is carbs...cereal, bread, pasta and too much of them! I have a big sweet tooth but just avoid the stuff as much as possible...not ice-cream more puddings.

I lost 8 stone on a low calorie diet in 2008 and put it all and more on in a matter of months....I could not cope with another big battle.

Part of me things a bypass (although a big operation and not easy) should start working without having to work out my 'sweet spot'.

Just not sure what to do....how did you decide?

Thanks!

Nice to be back.

Hi Darling,

I'm sorry you're going through such turmoil.

I would be inclined to tell you to have an op with a surgeon you trust will give you the right advice.

I am in a very very similar situation as you ... fat since childhood; lots of weight to lose (10stones in fact); tried every diet and diet pill going. I've lost weight and put on more besides.

Each day I swing between band and bypass. Ultimately though the decision is my own, but I need to be aware that the decision I make is one I'll have to live with for the rest of my life - moreso with the bypass. Additionally - neither the band nor the bypass will make you lose weight - they will only act as an aid - the bypass more so as you 'cannot help but lose weight' due to the malabsorption aspect. However in time it will take tenacity, will power and guts to reach goal AND stay there .... this is something that comes from within and not from either of the procedures (this includes other Weight Loss Surgeries i.e. Duodenal Switch, Gastric Sleeve, Gastric Balloon etc.).

Oh how I wish I could be there to have held your hand on the plane. I hate flying, but eveidently not as much as you - I have a friend who is much the same and I got her to Jamaica and back (10 hrs flying is no mean feet!).

So I know all the aofrementioned doesn't really offer any help to you, but in a minute I am going to post some links to help you along. All rather informative.

If you need me for anything else just say. I have a mobile and I also have Skype.

Take care sweety .... and try not to worry .... you'll be ok. We will make sure of that. Ok? :) :hug99:

Oh Cah-ching, thank you SO much...you words are so kind and I can not tell you how much they mean to me. I wish you had been on that plane with me too!!

I am going to go read the links and hopefully get the answers I need!

Oh Cah-ching, thank you SO much...you words are so kind and I can not tell you how much they mean to me. I wish you had been on that plane with me too!!

I am going to go read the links and hopefully get the answers I need!

Babe let me warn you- you will still be caught in a twixt about which surgery to undertake - heck i still am. However it will give you some heads up on each and will act as a tool to inform you and help make the rational choice.

Additionally I think you ought to seek counselling for ongoing support post-op. I totally understand that all your issues come from your weight though mine too lol.

:hug99:

Glad you're back emma louise, i remember chatting to you before christmas. i hope by coming back to minimins you can get the knowledge and courage i think you're searching for. Good luck in chosing the right decision for you, it's tough, but your at the right place x:welcome:

I chose the bypass because I knew with the band you could cheat and knowing me I probably would have cheated which defeats the whole purpose.

It's a decision only you can make and it should be made with your best interests at heart. Good luck. xx

hi emma , i too are in the same situation was going for the band but i think a bypass would be better i also have around 10st to loose , i only want the once so dont want to make the wrong decision , good luck with the rest of your journey xx

I chose the bypass because I knew with the band you could cheat and knowing me I probably would have cheated which defeats the whole purpose.

Reading lots of threads on here also shows that you are able to cheat with the bypass.

You need to work out what is best for you and work with it the best you can. No-one says surgery is going to be easy (apart from idiots that know nothing of what we go through and want we have to put ourselves through to sort it out)

I have over 10 stone to lose and am having a band fitted next month, I also have mobility problems due to ill health and was concerned being imobile would hinder the recovery of major surgery.

If you would be happier talking to a surgeon like Shaw Summers and flying is a real issue, why not see your GP, I was terrified the first time I was due to fly and my Gp gave me 2 valium(1 for each flight) to calm me down (they worked wonders, I did a 17 hour flight to Mexico and it flew by, sorry for the pun)

You take care girl and do a lot of thinking and talking before you decide anything.

i at first wanted a band but then i thought of the foods o over ate on and knew after a while i still would eat them and 'cheat' so i went for the bypass and its the best thing for me.. i did try chocolate and i dump really bad (with anything sweet) which i now am glad about as i cant cheat. i can still have carbs in little amounts.. my only problem food id say is chicken with no sauce. and the best bit is.. in 12 weeks ive lost 6 stone :) x

Emmalou you are my twin i think! Originally (5 yrs ago) i wanted a band but after talking with a surgeon he advised for the bypass. Now i am actually on my journey i know the bypass is for me. I love sweet stuff, i eat big meals, i can eat for the sake of it just because their is room in my stomach for it... With a band i'd eat chocolate for a meal if i was hungry and wanted a quick fix, with a bypass i know i daren't in case i dump.

I hope this helps and if you want to ask me anything just pm me xx

Hi Emma Louise
Good to see you back but sorry you are having such a difficult time. I don't know if you remember my story but i too opted for the bypass privately as i felt i could cheat with the band and i have never looked back having now lost nearly seven stone with approx three to go. It really is a matter of personal choice but my surgeon was really helpful and explained the differences good luck with your decision xx

hi hun, i have been overweight forever and i can honestly say that i would cheat with a band, but you have to make the choice that is right for you. one of the main reasons i opted for a bypass is that it is more of a permanent solution. i hope this helps.x

Hiya, whatever you have wether it be a bypass or a band it will be a wonderful tool to help you with your weightloss journey. Whatever you go for be possative and determined to use this tool to re-educate yourself on a much healthier lifestyle. It is not a mirical tool but if you work with it, it can bring amazing results. Hope this helps Janey;)

Hi EL, It's certainly a tough decision. I'm waiting for my first appointment and when I was referred was sure I wanted the band. I'd heard bad things in the press about the bypass and seen Fern Britton looking so much slimmer after her band that I just assumed that the band was the way to go. However, when I came on hear it prompted me to do some proper research and I have now changed my mind. Yes , I'd probably cheat with a band and my weight loss would certainly be slower and smaller ( I have LOTS to lose). However, two things have changed my mind
1. I can't stand the thought of having a port in me and having fills
2. The bypass has an 80% rate of reversing diabetes- it's not jusyt about the weight loss but they think something to do with hormonal excretions from the smaller stomach. If I can rid minimise diabetes I cut so many other risks too-cancer, heart disease, organ failure, blindness, loss of limbs etc, etc.
I'm terrified, absolutley terrified of anaesthetics so am working on this with hypnosis. I have previously reduced my debilitating fear of heights considerably with hypnosis-only took 1 session. I can fly now, and look over the edge when I'm high up and can control the panic if I find myself in an uncomfortably high situation .It may be worth having a session with a hypnotherapist about the flying so that you go with your first choice surgeon and save lots of money.
And you'll surely want to fly when you have lost a few stone and the world is your oyster.
Good luck with whjatever you decide.

It is a difficult decision.

I started out wanting a band and not actually knowing anything about bypass surgery. My surgeon felt I would be a better candidate for a bypass and, when I got my head around the concept, I have now accepted that he is right and I'm ready to have my surgery next month.

Good luck with the decision-making process!

Back