• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Help!! - Time off work

Jacwat

Hi Everyone

I am on my journey to have gastric bypass and I had planned not to have to disclose this to anyone at work. I planned to take 2 weeks annual leave for my Op. Do you tihnk this is possible or will I need longer? I drive a fair but for my job as a Sales Rep. I am just a bit concerned that work will see this as 'elective surgery' and that I would therefore not be entitled to sick leave. Any advice from anyone that has been through the process would be greatly appreciated as believe it or not, this is my greatest concern at present. Thanks :confused:

hi there,

i had a bypass in July. i had a bit of trouble getting time off, my managers told me it was elective surgery and i wasnt entitled to any sick leave. i went to HR and they told me it was most definitely sick. i got a 2 week sick note from my surgeon which work were happy to accept in the end, and then had another week from my doctor too.

good luck :)

hi there,

i had a bypass in July. i had a bit of trouble getting time off, my managers told me it was elective surgery and i wasnt entitled to any sick leave. i went to HR and they told me it was most definitely sick. i got a 2 week sick note from my surgeon which work were happy to accept in the end, and then had another week from my doctor too.

Thanks for your reply? How are you doing now? Do you think its unreasonable to think I can return to work after 2 weeks? x

hiya,

im doing good thanks, i am 14 weeks post op and have lost 4 and a half stone since my pre op. im feeling much better in myself, though i know i have a long way to go!

as for going back to work after 2 weeks, i cant see it being a problem. i had intended to go back after 2 weeks, but the night before i was due to go back i decided i just didnt feel ready. i was incredibly tired, and that lasted a good few weeks after the surgery.

all you can do is take it a day at a time.

hiya,

im doing good thanks, i am 14 weeks post op and have lost 4 and a half stone since my pre op. im feeling much better in myself, though i know i have a long way to go!

as for going back to work after 2 weeks, i cant see it being a problem. i had intended to go back after 2 weeks, but the night before i was due to go back i decided i just didnt feel ready. i was incredibly tired, and that lasted a good few weeks after the surgery.

all you can do is take it a day at a time.

Wow! You are doing amazing! Well done and thanks for the advice. Good luck to you too :)

I have got 8 weeks off work ( had a bypass) and work have been really good about
ibhave read on here about people who drive needeing to check with his/her insurance company about driving after surgery something about emergency stopping....does that mean anything to you? Im not a driver

Hi Everyone

I am on my journey to have gastric bypass and I had planned not to have to disclose this to anyone at work. I planned to take 2 weeks annual leave for my Op. Do you tihnk this is possible or will I need longer? I drive a fair but for my job as a Sales Rep. I am just a bit concerned that work will see this as 'elective surgery' and that I would therefore not be entitled to sick leave. Any advice from anyone that has been through the process would be greatly appreciated as believe it or not, this is my greatest concern at present. Thanks :confused:

Hey Jacwat

I'm banded 3 weeks Post-Op, I went back to work after 10 days.
I am desk bound except for opening up the theatre, which is a lot of stairs.
I have been coming into work an hour early and taking it REALLY REALLY slowly.
I did push myself because I wanted to get back to everything. So I was up and about as much as possible and sleeping alot inbetween.

Now 3 weeks in I'm still taking it slow but feeling about 85% normal.

Sorry to waffle but also.
I told my boss I was having a laparoscopy (the list of reasons to have one is long) and that I wanted to be discreet. He asked me no other questions and I said I would get a doctor's note. He may have guessed what I've had done but he won't ask and he can't talk about it or he may have a HR problem on his hands lol

Hope this helps in some way :)

I had a lot of my colleagues try to say that I was having cosmetic surgery but when we looked into the HR guidance it showed that if it was being done on the NHS it was classed for medical reason's and they have to give me as long as the surgery and recovery take. I suppose it depends on who you work for and what you do and also whether you are paying for it or not.
Not sure if that helps. I do think you need longer than 2 weeks if not for time off then definitely to be allowed to drive. You have to check that one with your team.

If you're signed off sick, they HAVE to pay sick pay. It is illegal for them not to. Just make sure that you get a sick note.

I was really upset as my manager made me complete a pre operation form wanting all sorts of details and exact time I would be off , which I said I could not be exact, I told her I am having a gastric sleeve and probably about 4 weeks but maybe longer , then to my horror I was told the next day by 2 colleagues that she had casually gone into speak to her manager and with the door open for all to hear she said " oh I got her to fill that form in she's having a gastric band " in a sarcastic tone , really professional and obviously not going to be very supportive ... So now I do not have the choice about keeping my surgery quiet .

I was really upset as my manager made me complete a pre operation form wanting all sorts of details and exact time I would be off , which I said I could not be exact, I told her I am having a gastric sleeve and probably about 4 weeks but maybe longer , then to my horror I was told the next day by 2 colleagues that she had casually gone into speak to her manager and with the door open for all to hear she said " oh I got her to fill that form in she's having a gastric band " in a sarcastic tone , really professional and obviously not going to be very supportive ... So now I do not have the choice about keeping my surgery quiet .

What a horrible thing to do! But just remember hold your head up high and think you are doing this for good reasons. This is the kind of thing I was worried about although I have the best boss in the world and work for a really good company but you just never know do you? Good luck with it all. x

Thanks everyone, its so difficult to know the best way to approach this isn't it? x
:confused::confused::confused::confused:

I took two weeks annual leave and then self certificated for a further week. You can put whatever you like on a self certificate. Who's to know

As it turns out I did tell my boss why I was off while I was off. She emailed me, we are quite close, and she told me not to worry she would be really discreet and put me through as sick
Leave, that she would take care of all the paperwork and make sure it remained confidential.... and she gave me all my annual leave back. I am a public sector worker and was worried about the elective side of things. But what helped me in this situation was my surgeon burned away some endeometeriousis and seperated adhesions from a previous surgery while he done my band and the work knew I had ongoing Gyn problems. So that might have made a difference. Oh I was self funded.

But.... If your worried about confidentiality... I would go for two weeks annual leave, then phone in sick on the day you were to return and you can self certify for 7 days. That way it will never be on your HR file for anyone to see or discuss

I've arranged 3 weeks off......had 6 weeks first time around with my bypass though...xx

I took two weeks annual leave and then self certificated for a further week. You can put whatever you like on a self certificate. Who's to know

As it turns out I did tell my boss why I was off while I was off. She emailed me, we are quite close, and she told me not to worry she would be really discreet and put me through as sick
Leave, that she would take care of all the paperwork and make sure it remained confidential.... and she gave me all my annual leave back. I am a public sector worker and was worried about the elective side of things. But what helped me in this situation was my surgeon burned away some endeometeriousis and seperated adhesions from a previous surgery while he done my band and the work knew I had ongoing Gyn problems. So that might have made a difference. Oh I was self funded.

But.... If your worried about confidentiality... I would go for two weeks annual leave, then phone in sick on the day you were to return and you can self certify for 7 days. That way it will never be on your HR file for anyone to see or discuss

Thanks Kurstywursty, how you doing now? x

I've arranged 3 weeks off......had 6 weeks first time around with my bypass though...xx

Thanks, can I ask why 6 weeks? Did you feel poorly till then? Good luck 2nd time around x

JUST, this would be a HR situation if this was me. How very unprofessional and what happened to confidential?? I'm awaiting a decision as you know and still have not decided how I'm going to approach the time off.

Los in it, do you feel you really need 8 weeks? I was looking to take 3 at the most. Hmmmmmm, this thread really has me thinking

Yes I know , my partner and another work colleague think I should talk to the union rep , I am waiting my operation date and it should hopefully come through in next week or so and be around Christmas time , I am very upset that my boss seems to have this attitude and worry that if I make a fuss about it now she may come down hard on me if I end up having a long time for recovery , i work for government body and they are so looking for reasons to get rid of staff due to sickness etc xxx

Yes I know , my partner and another work colleague think I should talk to the union rep , I am waiting my operation date and it should hopefully come through in next week or so and be around Christmas time , I am very upset that my boss seems to have this attitude and worry that if I make a fuss about it now she may come down hard on me if I end up having a long time for recovery , i work for government body and they are so looking for reasons to get rid of staff due to sickness etc xxx

This would be classed as unfair dismissal and workplace bullying hon. Speak to your boss's line manager or make a formal complaint in writjng

Thanks for the advice , I think I will , I haven't actually been in to work since this happened last Thursday , so tomorrow when I get in I will see someone about it , thanks again x

Back