• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

which one??

lousarah

Hello everyone. I started my journey in Jan, had funding approved in March, saw the consultant in August and am seeing the dietician on thursday.

I am so stuck and torn between the band and the bypass.

I dont want to never be able to eat a sweet thing ever again.

I am scared about holidays and meals out post op.

Plz can you tell me all the pain and true things that happen after each op and why you chose the one you did?

Also the truth about meals out nd holidays.

Much love

Lou

If you eat alot of sweet things, I'd go for the bypass if it were me. That was the main reason I decided on the gastric bypass. Your still able to eat sweet foods with a band, and if your willpower isn't good, you may be tempted back into bad habits.

At the end of the day, you have to choose the procedure that best suits your eating habits and what feels right for you :)

I eat out post bypass. I just have smaller portions or a starter. I also take an empty lunch box with me, so I can bring home any leftovers. I can't comment on holidays, as I've not been on one yet. As for pain post op, the wind pain is the worst. But if you get up and about and moving ASAP post op, it doesn't last that long.

Sleeping is difficult for the first week, as you can't lie flat or sleep on your side. In all honesty it wasn't that bad post op for me. If you keep a positive attitude and just get on with things, that makes it easier too.

Last edited:
I had the Sleeve 14th Jan, so far so good.

After doing a lot of research decided against the band and the bypass. The band did not appeal, foreign body in my body and the port. The bypass seemed drastic, not being able to eat so many things. Although with the sleeve there are similarities, some people experience dumping I have no complaints about my choice so far.

Whichever op you decide on needs to be chosen on what would best suit you personally and your lifestyle. My advice would be do as much research on each op as you can, list the pros and cons. You will figure it out which is best for you. Good Luck x

Hear Hear Angela1310, I love my sleeve too. Have you considered a Gastric Sleeve Lousarah?

I had my sleeve done in October last year and in the 4 months since then I've lost more that 5 stone, and this is without any strenuous exercise or major modifications to my diet. I eat what I want but in smaller portions. I can't exercise due to ankle problem but the weight has still dropped off and I still have a sweet tooth - the rare occasions when I have a little too much iced cream or custard I have experienced " dumping " but I have only had 3 such episodes so far. I don't take any extra supplements, vitamins etc, though I know I should, but I haven felt this healthy since I was a sporty 25 year old.
Having a Sleeve is definitely one of the best decisions I ever made.

I too have has a sleeve. I discounted the band as I thought I might either cheat it easily of cheat it and end up having problems etc. I chose the sleeve over the bypass because I was worried about malabsorbsion and all the horror stories surrounding it. I now know that most of the issues are treatable and that the horror stories are fewer and further between than you might think. Anyway, I am also a confirmed carnivore and a chicken licken too so the sleeve seemed like the best option for me all round. Permanent but not as big an op as the bypass. I don't have any complaints about my sleeve as yet but it's still early days for me as I had my op 24th January this year. Good luck with whatever you decide upon.

I currently have a band from July last year. It's going in May this year. Can't wait for my bypass. I had exceptional problems with the band and it the norm.

Choose on your eating habits is probably best. Mine have changed since the band, used to be a savoury eater, now a sweet eater, so the bypass will be a good thing.

I was given a choice between all three but the sleeve scares me as what I do now as a 24 yr old is going to be with me the rest of my life... atleast I can take the band out if I hate it. They cant replace missing stomach. If it wasnt so final id have a sleeve

Did anyone else have this fear?

Also, my partner is 100% against me having op, any of them. Says it could well put an end to our relationship as we are social eaters and if we cant eat out with our busy scedules we wont have a lot left. He wont accept the whole just eat less while out thing.

So confused. Xx

I wanted the sleeve because its permanent, not everyone feels like that though. As for eating out you can do it with a sleeve but not much! Your bf doesn't sound very supportive, is he overweight?

I was given a choice between all three but the sleeve scares me as what I do now as a 24 yr old is going to be with me the rest of my life... atleast I can take the band out if I hate it. They cant replace missing stomach. If it wasnt so final id have a sleeve

Did anyone else have this fear?

Also, my partner is 100% against me having op, any of them. Says it could well put an end to our relationship as we are social eaters and if we cant eat out with our busy scedules we wont have a lot left. He wont accept the whole just eat less while out thing.

So confused. Xx

Hi
Sorry to say this but your partner sounds a bit selfish,having any op doesn't put an end to eating out! I've had a bypass and still can eat out,but now it's smaller and healthier.

He is very selfish. He is overweight, wears size 38 trousers. So he isnt huge but is ow. He is a recovering bullimic and I think jealous. He says hes not cos im cheating blah etc but who knows.

If band fails do they do revision surgery on nhs? Been speaking to lots of people in usa who had band changed to sleeve.

Xx

He is very selfish. He is overweight, wears size 38 trousers. So he isnt huge but is ow. He is a recovering bullimic and I think jealous. He says hes not cos im cheating blah etc but who knows.

If band fails do they do revision surgery on nhs? Been speaking to lots of people in usa who had band changed to sleeve.

Xx

Wouldn't like to answer if band fails they do revision on nhs.
Just the impression I'm getting from you,do you think you'll fail with a band?thats why wondering about revision?
I've had a bypass and even if you had any weightloss surgery it's definetly not cheating(tell your partner) x

Xx

If your already asking that question, maybe the band isn't for you. Your boyfriend does not sound very supportive tbh. You have to do what's right for you. Don't let him influence your decision because he's had his own issues with food :)

I do not want to fail. Not at all. I think im just stressing about the upcoming app on wed and its putting all these self doubts in my head.

Stupid question - can sleeves and bps not fail? Or can u cheat them too x x x

They way I decided was, I have had a weight problem all of my life, so it didn't matter if I could reverse the procedure as the cost of being obese as I move into my 30's and beyond was going to be much greater. The only thing I can say about your partner is that he sounds like he is very insecure and terrified that you will no longer want to be with him when you have lost weight. He might feel as though he is being left behind. As bad as this sounds and please don't take this the wrong way whilst you are bigger and less confident he doesn't have to worry so much about you leaving him. Maybe a bit of reassurance is all he needs. But I don't know you or your partner personally but I have been through similar thing with my hubby so maybe my opinion can help. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I do not want to fail. Not at all. I think im just stressing about the upcoming app on wed and its putting all these self doubts in my head.

Stupid question - can sleeves and bps not fail? Or can u cheat them too x x x

Any surgery is just a tool. You have to put in the work for them to be effective. The sleeve and the bypass are a not as easy to 'cheat' but you can still fail and regain weight if you don't stick to the post op rules.

Why don't you write down all the questions you have and ask them at your appointment? Your surgeon will be the best person to advise you on which procedure is best for your eating habits :)

The NHS don't tend to give you second chances, they wanted me to have a bypass but I wanted a sleeve, I was told I could have what I wanted but if I wasn't happy I wouldn't get another go. Think long and hard about your choice, the surgeon will help you too as it also depends on your eating habits. Good luck for tomorrow, this is an amazing journey. Sounds like your bf has his own issues to deal with. Do what's right for you, you're only young x

I am very pleased with my bypass, didn't have any pain at operation time, I am one of the lucky or unlucky ones I don't dump so I can still have the occasional sweet. It still takes will power regardless of which one you have. If you don't stick to the rules you can get around it, with the bypass you could graze all day and eat a heck of a lot defeating the bypass, so you have to try your best to stick with it.

I eat out a couple of times a week, I stick to chicken dishes and carry a lunch box with me!!

Back