• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

Starting my pre-op diet on monday for my surgery on 21st Nov =D

Hi your headache is prob not having any carbs I always had them doing the Cambridge diet, get the first few days over and you will feel better, good luck hub be worth it in the end xxx

thanks for all your messages, i started my diet on monday but the nurse didnt ring me, when i spoke to someone they said she hasnt got time to ring me until thursday but to make sure i start the diet,
i have, and i know it is a low calorie diet with them so at the moment i have just kep my calories under 800, with just breakfast of 1.5 weetabix and a banana for snack, tea of 3 new potatoes small piece of weighed meat and some steamed veg, and then a fromage frai for snack, hope this is ok but suppose i will find out tomorra.

how did you get on angiemason x

the reason im having the sleeve is because i really want to loose weight to have a baby and after the bypass they say about 2 years wait, but after sleeve its less because their is no malnutrician, and so my surgery sujjested having a two stage op so sleeve this month and then when my weight stableises i can try for a baby, and after i have had the baby i can have my sleeve truned into a full bypass under the same funding, so im really happy with this.

As has been mentioned different hospital have different pre-op diets (I am surprised by the variation in advise for both pre and post op diets at different hospitals). To give you a few examples at Royal Berkshire they advise http://www.royalberkshire.nhs.uk/pdf/Gastric band_diet_jul11.pdf

And my dietician advised:-

'Pre -op diet for Bariatric (weight loss) surgery'

You need to follow this diet for the two weeks immediately before your operation. It will reduce the fat and glycogen stored in your liver and make the operation easier for the surgeon.

If the surgeon finds your liver is too big your operation will not be able to go ahead.

This diet is ONLY recommended for 14 days before surgery and should NOT be followed at any other time as it is too restrictive.

• Have three meals a day and use the ‘extra’ fruit or yoghurts as deserts or as snacks.

• Try to vary the foods as much as possible during the fortnight to help make sure you are getting a good range of nutrients. It may be a good idea to start having the multi-vitamin and iron supplement (that you are recommended to take for the first six months after your band/bypass) while you are on this restricted diet.

• Do not guess weights – use scales to measure portions accurately.

• No sugar, cooking oils, margarine, butter, low fat spread, mayonnaise or sauces are allowed.

• The following drinks and flavourings are allowed freely:

Water, tea and coffee (using milk from allowance), low calorie squash.

A small amount of the following can be added to food if needed: salt, lemon juice, vinegar, balsamic vinegar, garlic, herbs and spices, pepper, artificial sweeteners

• Include at least 2 litres (4-5 pints) of fluid a day.

Breakfast

30g non sugar-coated and nut-free cereal eg. porridge oats, ready brek, branflakes, rice crispies, special K, cornflakes, shreddies, sultana bran
or
1½ weetabix or shredded wheat
or
1 portion of fruit
or
1 diet yoghurt
or
1 small slice bread or roll

Lunch and Dinner

1 small slice bread or small roll
or
2 crispbreads
or
100g potato (uncooked weight) – jacket, boiled or mashed with milk from allowance.
or
30g (uncooked weight) of rice, couscous, pasta or noodles

With
100g of vegetables
or
cereal bowl of salad with 1 teaspoon of low calorie dressing (no salad cream or mayonnaise)

With
Choose one of the following - all are cooked weights:

150g steamed or poached fish. No batter or breadcrumb coatings
or
50g lean meat. Trim off all fat before cooking
or
1 large egg eg poached, boiled or scrambled with milk
or
110g Quorn or Tofu
or
25g cheese eg. cheddar, brie, stilton etc.
or
50g low fat soft cheese eg. Philadelphia light, Laughing cow light etc.
or
75g chicken or turkey
or
100g tinned tuna/pilchards (not in oil)
or
50g tinned salmon/sardines (not in oil)

Each day also have:

260ml (½ pint) of skimmed or semi-skimmed milk
2 portions of fruit (one of which could be swapped for a small (150ml) glass of fruit juice)
1 diet/light/virtually fat-free yoghurt or fromage frais

A portion of fruit is:

1 large fruit eg. banana, apple, pear, orange, grapefruit
or
2 small fruits eg. kiwi, plum, satsuma
or
200g strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, rhubarb or gooseberries
or
10 grapes or cherries
or
100g tinned fruit in juice

I am really pleased Heartlands has the 5 options. I hate having to weigh, so the meal replacement diet will be perfect for me :)

Fuffs said:
I am really pleased Heartlands has the 5 options. I hate having to weigh, so the meal replacement diet will be perfect for me :)

Hi am so pleased my letter as come today it all go for the 22nov am so glad the pre op milk diet is no fun am finding it hard and keep getting head aces

thank you pizzaman that has really helped! =D

Hi Emmalouise I am starting my pre op diet on monday too xx op on 28th Nov duodenal switch :) so excited i nearly kissed Mr Kerrigan in fact looking at his face he thought i was going to :) xx good luck with diet

I had Chris Pring do my bypass on the 1st November at Chichester. The milk diet is easier than it sounds...
I wasn't AT ALL hungry but towards the end was craving something to eat... anything!! 4 pints of milk is hard to drink every day so you can do things like make the jelly with a pint of milk, and had all milk coffees, 2 fat free activa vanilla yogurts equates to half a pint of milk. Also you can add sugar free crusha to the milk to make a milkshake!!
Best of luck with the pre op diet and the surgery! x

I am also on my pre op diet, I started last Saturday and I have 9 more sleeps (woohoo).
We had a choice of diets and I chose the meal replacement one. I have a shake for breakfast and lunch, Meat and veg for dinner. 2 portions of fruit. As a bonus I have lost 9 and a half lb since I started. Good luck to you all. x

aw thats fab news angiemason!!! really pleased for you!!

i had a call from the nurse today who run through everything with me so i know what will happen the day of the surgery, and she ran through the pre-op diet and she said i have been doing it right so thats a relief lol.

I still cant believe that its actually going to happen =P 11 DAYS!! =]
Best christmas present ever!

and just in time to have a purée christmas dinner =P

Good luck for all you guys on your pre-op diets =D

Ahh bless ya... I bet you will still enjoy it thou!! lol
Mine will be mashed up so not much more exciting! haha

juem said:
Hi am so pleased my letter as come today it all go for the 22nov am so glad the pre op milk diet is no fun am finding it hard and keep getting head aces

Glad it's all going ahead for you :D

Hi Becky28 No they just gave me the pre op diet sheet and said if there was anything I couldn't manage to tell them.

I getting really scared now! but I know it's for the best .

Who is your surgen ? mine was mr jenkins but now I'm with mr adamo.

I should tell you I'm 5days into the pre op diet & rather sick of soup & yogurt .

wishing you all the best :) keep in touch x

Wow cathykats I have the same surgeon. Pleased the pre op diet is still eating something lol I done the 3 months on nothing but milk and a oxo cube! What drinks can u drink on pre op?
Would love to keep in touch :)

Hi becky28 wow milk & oxo cube don't know if I could have managed that cos I really don't like milk.

you can drink tea, coffee water & sugar free squash . I've been having my daily milk in my coffee cos I can't drink milk on it's own.
only 9 days left :) x

HI have been given low carbohydrate diet which allows me to have : example menu breakfast ; one weetabix with small amount of skimmed milk , lunch :three crakers with two slices lean ham , evening meal :5oz cod with two sevings of veg , snack :small pot of youghurt and to flollow this for two weeks pre-op hope this helps xx

cathykats said:
Sounds yummy Tracey37! I'm really fed up with soup & yogurt :(.

Good luck with your surgery! x

Well only a week to go getting use to milk and yogurt and iv lost a stone already xx

Back