• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

"Sticking" and being sick

hi everyone.

i had my band done on 20th April this yr...i had one fill of 5ml in June.

i know how it feels to be sick...its usually with bread for me.i also had a few chips the other nyt which made me sick also.

i feel like i haven't had the support from the nosc whom i had my band done thro.i haven't even had support on what to eat.

from my op i hav only lost one stone 4lbs of which i am quite disappointed with and because of this im beginning to feel like my band was a waste of money.

Debbie x

MrsPill said:
I read on another thread that Mazza had never been sick which I found extremely encouraging as I hate being sick.
Are there any other banders that haven't been sick?
And also, she mentioned that she had a couple of sticking moments...what does that feel like and what do you do when it happens?
This is something that really worries me.

Hi. Never been sick yet and had band 21april

:eatdrink017::sick::sign0137::character00264::9529::ambulance:Some excellent discriptions of food getting stuck there! Just to join in....chicken is a nono for me too.
getting food stuck is quite common for me, sometimes I can go a week without any problems and then I'll have 3 days in a row. But, it is my own fault, either eating to fast or not chewing enough or just forgetting I've got a band!

Thanks for all of your great descriptions. ..and Greenyblu, I was really pleased to hear that someone hasn't been sick at all.
The best thing is that you're all still here to tell the tale!! although I gather it isn't too nice its something that you can cope with and not be too upset by. Its the one thing I'm not looking forward to at all but I guess I'll have to be prepared for it and I'm very grateful for everyones replies. Many thanks xx.
Of course, you'll all be the first to know when it happens to me!! haha.

hi all i find bread n sometimes potatoes get stuck...if i eat too quickly im sick...hav hav my band from 20th April n only lost 1 stone 3lbs x

Hi Debbie maybe you should go back to liquids and mushies for a while to try and drop a few pounds. I'm so afraid of bread sticking that I haven't had any in about 2 months. I'm not even missing it. Not so much the bread but the real butter - my pre op downfall all the time. So now I avoid it and I make myself eat French toast with low fat cheese spread or Philly. Eating bread (and butter) helped make me fat so it ain't getting back into my life. I have an easyio yoghurt maker and I love it. I have a couple of tablespoons for breakfast. Then lunch is usually soup and a couple of French toasts. Dinner is usually salmon / mushy peas / baked beans / quorn mince chilli / mash. All nice and easy to get down. I hope you get it together cos your band is your lifeline and you don't wanna loose it.

Hi Debbie welcome to the forum, I hope you find us a supportive group. I'm aghast at the lack of support from your provider, rice, pasta, bread and chips can all stick and cause problems, a lot of providers suggest you avoid them altogether. Read this thread for some tips http://www.wlsurgery.com/wls-banders-recipes/133942-some-tips.html hope it helps xx

I have not been sick yet but have had a couple of slime episodes which is really horrible. I have had a piece of chicken stuck felt like my back was being ripped off. Quickly learnt after that one. It is really hard sometimes concentrating to make sure you chew and eat slowly. New habits take a while to sink in x

The only time I was sick, was when I returned home after my op and because I was dehydrated it caused a migraine which led me to gag! So no not even sick.

I often get food stuck, I have really got to learn to eat smaller mouthfuls and chew, chew, chew (as my dietician would say)

We will get there!
:)

*** TMI ALERT****
At lunchtime today I had 3 melba toasts with butter which I ate fairly quickly but I chewed them to a paste. 5 minutes later I could feel them going down then back up again, then down and then back up again and they just wouldn't go down properly. So I sort of burped them back up again and it was sort of frothy sick! I guess this is a mild sticking event isn't it? But hell... it was only 3 melba toasts! This band business is tricky! I have nothing in my band and this feels really tight :(

Now adding eggs to my list as no no's at the moment:(. I was really fortunate up until my last fill to have suffered no sickness and two months on from my last fill and it is still happening plus it has reduced the types of things I can have. I am going to try a little experiment over the next few days around the size of food actually going into my mouth. Will let you know if it makes a difference.

tranquil x

im part of the no sick club...THANKFULLY! but since 3rd fill have had a fair few sticking moments and they are NOT pleasent!

Its really nice to hear about someone who hasn't been sick. It still scares me. Sticking is different- I've found if things feel like they're not going through then I should try to stay calm and relaxed and wait. It usually goes through then.

For me, bread is definetly out, including any soft doughy wraps, tortillas, birthday cakes etc, plus chicken breast and certain meats if they have been overcooked. I am learning how to master regurgitating and am down from 45 minutes to 5 mins so far, it is better than the pain when food sticks. I have given up toast but still manage crackers.

I have a second fill booked in 4 weeks so I am expecting that the list of restricted foods will change.

Summer is quickly approaching which will mean salads and bbqs for most dinners so i am getting ready by compliling recipes for chicken thighs and fish to add variation to my diet.

I hope everyone is doing well.

Back